User Tag List

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK To Start Organized Ride Late?

My wife and I are going to ride the Tour of the Unknown Coast metric century tomorrow. We didn't register ahead time, because the weather is always iffy. We'll register tomorrow morning.

The ride starts at 7:30 and is a few hours from home. To avoid having to get up too early, I thought we'd start at 8:30 or so. I confirmed that we could register even if we got there after 7:30.

There's no problem with starting late, is there?

Thanks,

Al
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IDK , cant speak for the organization, When I lived in Lake County I Rode my bike to where the Davis Double Century served lunch ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “early is on time, on time is late, and late is unacceptable!”
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The big issue with starting late is the closing times of the checkpoints. On some organized rides and esp. timed events, if you arrrive at a checkpoint past the closing time they DNF you and send you back to the start over a shortened route.

Your event org. may vary, of course and if you're not going to need their food, drinks, SAG cars, etc. then I would think they wouldn't mind. Do you have the open/close times of the checkpoints?

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ +1

They might even be willing to overlook missing the first checkpoint if you're self supporting and you can make it to the next one before it closes. Have a chat with them when you check in.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at the web page, the 50 mile ride starts at 8, and there is not a check point at the 62 mile turnaround. It gives the impression it is not necessarily a mass start, but as Rick pointed out, they dont say when the check points will close.

My Bikes
    Seven Axiom steel, Salsa Vaya,Specialized Sectuer,Trek 8.3DS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be riding but starting at 7 for the 100m so will miss you at the start. I can't see a problem. I did the metric last year, my first, started at 7:30 and we took our time, a few longer breaks, got in a bit after 1 and there were still lots of folks trickling in. Also the slower 100milers of which I will likely be tomorrow trickle in all afternoon so you should be fine. They're still saying maybe 20% chance of rain, tapering after 10am so looks like a go. Have a great ride!

My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Bacchetta Strada, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Registering an hour or so later than it's start should not be a problem. Often they have a time , after which they will no longer register you ( for insurance reasons ) but of course there is nothing to prevent you to ride after that, but as has been stated earlier, the rest stops maybe closed by the time you arrive.

My Bikes
    2010 BMC SL 01 Roadracer, 2012 Davidson Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That used to be a strategy for me and my friends at the "Hilly Hundred" in Bloomington IN. We'd start about an hour later than the "cut-off", skip the first (by then closed) stop and start catching up to the stragglers before we got to the second one.

The advantages were:
    1) We got to sleep in before the start. (For some reason, this ride seemed to provoke some partying for me and my friends)
    2) Most importantly - the roads were much more clear. Numerous occasional riders and a hilly course make for an unpleasantness ride. This way we got to enjoy the first part of the route at our pace without going hoarse repeating, "On your left..." a hundred times before noon.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This will vary between rides, but as a ride organizer, late starters often create a burden on the event staff. This is especially true on rides where the routes begin in high traffic areas where traffic control is in place to get riders through dangerous intersections or road sections. If riders are a little late, it can cause the law enforcement personnel to stay longer than planned. If they are very late, they will have to go through with no assistance. Sometimes this is not much of a problem, other times it can be a big source of worry and distraction. Late riders can also cause problems for SAG support drivers trying to keep track of where the last riders are on the course.

These are not usually huge problems, but it is not accurate to say that starting late is no problem. Having been on that side of the situation I would not ride a mass start organized ride if I couldn't start when the ride is scheduled to start.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, we got there on time, but it was pouring rain and cold. As Latif said, better weather was probably coming, but Lena and I pre-emptively bailed out, and saved the $120 for something else. That's why I never register ahead of time for this ride.

Go Latif!
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    Too many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a chuckle this thread gave me. They send you back. What if you prefer to keep going.

My Bikes
    89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an instance where I was pre-registered. I started at the mid-point turn around and just returned by myself after getting to the "finish". It was an out and back course and IIRC the first aid stop (in the "normal" direction) was still open when I came back through there.

scott s.

My Bikes
    08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't believe you missed the obvious solution......... Just set your watch back a couple hours, and you would be on time!

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009

Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

My Bikes
    Seven Axiom steel, Salsa Vaya,Specialized Sectuer,Trek 8.3DS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    Well, we got there on time, but it was pouring rain and cold. As Latif said, better weather was probably coming, but Lena and I pre-emptively bailed out, and saved the $120 for something else. That's why I never register ahead of time for this ride.

Go Latif!
    Thanks Al! I did a ride report in this forum earlier if interested. Think you made a good call.