Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.
    My Bikes
    Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1st 30 mile ride on Surly LHTD.

I've been doing a few 25 mile rides and yesterday I bit the bullet and chewed off another five miles to make it a thirty mile run. I was pretty worn out when I got back but still felt better than I did after my first FIVE mile ride. I'm just going to do a couple of these and then shoot for 35 with the aim of reaching 50 by the middle of June. As I was riding along yesterday it occurred to me that here I was conditioning for a cross country bike ride while the people I graduated from HS with back in '61 are dying like flies! I've either got good genes or no brains and only time will tell what it is!!
    Last edited by Louis Le Tour; 05-12-14 at 08:12 PM.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post your rides in here.

did you ride today
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    rivendell romulus terratrike rover
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats. How are you liking the Surly LHTD? Is it heavy?

Charlie
    Grimly determined to have fun.

Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.
    My Bikes
    Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursa Minor View Post
    Congrats. How are you liking the Surly LHTD? Is it heavy? Charlie
    Couldn't tell ya, this is the first bike I've ridden since I was a kid, so I don't know one from the other. However, since it's a steel frame I'm sure it's "heavy" compared to bikes with lighter material frames. The thing is, it wasn't purchased with the idea of making speed, it was purchased with the notion that it HAD to be durable. My cross country trip is going to be a tortoise and the hare kind of thing. Perseverance and good old fashion "true grit" will get me from Seattle to Miami and back but it ain't gonna be race by any stretch of t he imagination.

My Bikes
    rivendell romulus terratrike rover
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well good luck on your tour - when do you start?

Charlie
    Grimly determined to have fun.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursa Minor View Post
    Well good luck on your tour - when do you start? Charlie
    It won't be until the spring of next year, I'm not rushing into it, there's plenty of conditioning that needs to be done.

My Bikes
    Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool!
    Congrats on new "longest ride"...
    May you have many, many, more.

I like my disc trucker, a lot. It even likes me.
    It's not slow, I am.

But then i'ts not "heavy" at 35.5, I'm the heavy one...

My Bikes
    2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux Elite EVO, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great bikes. Two of my good friends and riding partners left their carbon road bikes at home and set out two months ago to ride the Southern Tier route frome St. Augustine, Fl to San Diego Ca on Surly Disc Truckers They just crossed the Cali border and will reach their destination in a couple of days. They bought them from the shop where I work and I helped assemble the bikes. They have reported nothing beyond normal wear and tear maintenance, and not much of that.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Great bikes. Two of my good friends and riding partners left their carbon road bikes at home and set out two months ago to ride the Southern Tier route frome St. Augustine, Fl to San Diego Ca on Surly Disc Truckers They just crossed the Cali border and will reach their destination in a couple of days. They bought them from the shop where I work and I helped assemble the bikes. They have reported nothing beyond normal wear and tear maintenance, and not much of that.
    THAT'S good to hear! I purchased the LHT because so many people recommended it due to durability.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a Surly LHT since 2008. A great bike for hauling camping gear on a tour ride. Once you are out there on a tour ride for a few days the LHT becomes your trusted partner. You do not consider the weight when you are putting 50 to 70 poiunds of gear on the bike. Just work with the bike and it will be your friend.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    Koga Myata Traveller, Dawes Kalahari, GT GTR Series 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done and good luck with your first 50 miler. Tell me please, have you or did you do it fully loaded? I loaded my Koga World Traveller up yesterday with total of 25 kg (55 lbs) and went for a wee 5 miler test run from home and although it was OK I felt that weight and it has created a small doubt in my mind on whether I can tour or not?