Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-10-14, 09:04 PM   #1
bikemig 

Bikes: A lot of old bikes and a few new ones
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
50 miles without a pump ride report

I haven't been riding the past few years. I don't have any good excuses but I do have a few bad ones. Last year I built up a lot of my old bikes and started riding. I wrenched more than I rode though; this year, I plan on riding more than I wrench, . I'm lucky as there is a really killer MUP that I can pick up near the front door of my house. It is a ride that goes from Des Moines to Big Creek State Park. Here is some info on the trail: Iowa Trails home page.

The ride is mainly along the Des Moines River so there are good water views for almost the entire ride. There is one decent climb (not long but it is sort of steep); most of the ride has good rollers. Plus there aren't that many walkers or bike riders on the path which means you don't have to think about what other riders might (or might not do).

Today I rode the entire path which is right around 50 miles round trip. I haven't been on a ride longer than 30 miles for a few years so it felt good. I just rode within myself and stayed on top of my food intake. I averaged an exciting 13 mph, , and had a great time. I also made a point of stopping and talking to people along the way (including one guy on a killer Peugeot UO-8 that he had souped up with a forged crank and nice components). I like talking to people who have been riding their bikes for a long time; they always have a story or two to tell about their bike.

I'm not a great photographer so the pics won't show how pretty this ride is. I also tried out my new Jandd mountain wedge III. I used to never carry much junk on my bike since I figured if it didn't fit in a jersey pocket I didn't need it. Now I don't care anymore if I look like dweeb on my bike, . I want a camera, a rain coat (it was overcast for much of the day), some extra food, etc. I love Jandd gear. I've used it extensively biking and hiking. The mountain wedge holds a lot and didn't sway; it is a great, great seat bag if you want extra capacity but don't want to deal with a rack.

Oh yeah, I packed everything I needed but forgot my pump, . I got lucky though and the cycling gods didn't take it out on me. So here are the pics from the ride:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0011.jpg (98.1 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0014.jpg (98.5 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0016.jpg (92.2 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0021.jpg (99.6 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by bikemig; 05-10-14 at 09:19 PM.
bikemig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-14, 09:10 PM   #2
raqball

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like a great ride..

raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-14, 09:17 PM   #3
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Bacchetta Strada, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Nice day on bike in a beautiful area and no flat, life doesn't get much better, glad your back and enjoying the ride.
Northwestrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-14, 05:22 AM   #4
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Good report.
Old 05-11-14, 02:32 PM   #5
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
That's a good day. Thanx for the report!
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-14, 07:33 PM   #6
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Good ride report, nice pics, too. That Salsa is very nice looking, also.

Bill
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 05:15 PM   #7
Wogster

Bikes: Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
Looks like a nice ride..... Considering that one bike has Schraeder Valves and the other Presta, I have a frame pump mounted on each.... One of these days, I'll get a CO2 setup for my wife's bike, got to get her to learn how to fix a flat first though
Wogster is offline   Reply With Quote