Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-11-14, 07:58 AM   #1
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
Posts: 10,859
Season's First "Glycogen Transport"

At least that is what I call it. Went for the first 30mi ride on Thursday and a very hilly one. Though I wasn't sore the next day I could tell something good happened. Last night, 2 days later, I'm up every 2 hours going to the bathroom. Finally after the 3rd trip I was reminded of this physical dynamic of the body holding extra water to transport needed glycogen to depleted muscles. When the body sheds the extra water I can wear a path to the bathroom in the night. When trying to cut weight I have noticed a strange increase the next day rather than a weight loss due to water/fluid uptake. Usually this dynamic is not noticeable until I hit the 50mi mark but for this occasion I will blame the hills.

Anyone else notice this? Perhaps have a medical term for this?
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-14, 05:12 PM   #2
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...
 
Dudelsack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Loovul
Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Posts: 6,345
I've noticed it. It's annoying. I'm too lazy to google it.
__________________
Signature line for rent.
Dudelsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-14, 05:32 PM   #3
gregf83 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Bikes:
Posts: 7,179
My understanding is that 1g of glycogen bonds to 4g of water. This explains much of the weight loss after a big ride where you can burn through 500g of glycogen and lose an extra 2kg of water. This doesn't explain your water loss a couple days later though.

I commute a couple of hours every day so don't notice any particular ups and downs unless I change my salt intake.
gregf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-14, 05:33 PM   #4
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
Posts: 10,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
I've noticed it. It's annoying. I'm too lazy to google it.
Quite annoying.
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-14, 06:03 PM   #5
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
Posts: 10,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
My understanding is that 1g of glycogen bonds to 4g of water. This explains much of the weight loss after a big ride where you can burn through 500g of glycogen and lose an extra 2kg of water. This doesn't explain your water loss a couple days later though.

I commute a couple of hours every day so don't notice any particular ups and downs unless I change my salt intake.
For me to experience this there has to be an exertion beyond the norm, a ride that pushes me (from what I can tell). The whole thing catches me off guard though I can bet it will occur at night.
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-14, 06:07 PM   #6
Ursa Minor
Senior Member
 
Ursa Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Santa Barbara CA
Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover
Posts: 727
Hard exercise makes your muscles slightly inflamed. Inflamed tissue absorbs water so for a day or so after a hard bike ride you can gain weight as water.


Charlie
Ursa Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-14, 07:06 PM   #7
katydid
katydid
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Naperville Illinois
Bikes: Trek
Posts: 2
Wow....explains why the next day after a hard long ride I am dizzy then... I thought I drank enough, but if I am understanding your post the body excretes that water beyond the norm? I checked my BP and it was really low even though I wasn't even remotely feeling dehydrated.
katydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 04:04 AM   #8
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
Posts: 10,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by katydid View Post
Wow....explains why the next day after a hard long ride I am dizzy then... I thought I drank enough, but if I am understanding your post the body excretes that water beyond the norm? I checked my BP and it was really low even though I wasn't even remotely feeling dehydrated.
Welcome to the forums!
Basically what happens is you will hang on to water weight and normally it would be unnoticed unless you watch your weight. You will notice a gain of a few pounds rather than an expected weight loss the next day. It is a transport of glycogen, water and blood transported nutrients to heal and recover stressed muscles. About 48hrs later your body will shed the extra water fluids through urination which will seem unusually frequent and quite annoying should it take place during sleep. This is the signal to me that my body is ready for another ride of moderate intensity. Rarely has the "diuretic" episode occured during the day.

Dizzy/lightheadedness can be your body rerouting blood to the legs and not so much elsewhere. Far from a cardiology assessment I'd describe it as a collecting of blood in the legs until the body adjusts to the stress. Also, if you have this feeling the day after you could have mild heat exhaustion. I get this when riding in 90+deg weather and is accompanied by mild nausea. It's your body saying "I didnt like that very much".

Last edited by OldsCOOL; 05-12-14 at 04:08 AM.
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 04:17 AM   #9
Rowan
Has opinion, will express
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 14,558
Yes. I experience it and it can be disconcerting to be on a weight control regimen and see a one or two kilogram increase in weight after a long ride. But as observed, the water disappears over the next couple of days.

I don't recall this being so obvious when I was doing randonnees regularly. It is accepted that for many riders at the end of 1200km randonnees, they will have swollen ankles. Maybe riding a lot such as gregf83 said means the fluid retention becomes less of an issue because of the body's adaptations. Which means... more riding...
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 05:31 AM   #10
Weatherby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Bikes: Too many
Posts: 548
What was your weight post and pre ride? I am surprised such a relatively short ride has this effect.

Bloating and swelling during an event is due to excessive fluid intake with insufficient sodium intake. It is called hyponatremia.

https://ultracycling.com/sections/ar...onatremia2.php
Exercise-Associated Hyponatremia

Exercise associated postural hypotension.....water logged.

Waterlogged - Timothy Noakes

MUSCLE RECOVERY FROM EXTREME ENDURANCE EVENTS: THE ?AWFUL AFTERS? COUNTING THE COST OF A 140-MILE TRANS-SAHARA FOOTRACE |

Post event water retention (and increased plasma levels) is edema and tissue repair related, it takes 2-5 days to return to normal. I often gain around 1% compared to baseline in the day or two afterwards and lose it by day 5.
Weatherby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 05:36 AM   #11
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
Posts: 10,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherby View Post
What was your weight post and pre ride? I am surprised such a relatively short ride has this effect.

Bloating and swelling during an event is due to excessive fluid intake with insufficient sodium intake. It is called hyponatremia.

https://ultracycling.com/sections/ar...onatremia2.php
Exercise-Associated Hyponatremia

Exercise associated postural hypotension.....water logged.

Waterlogged - Timothy Noakes

MUSCLE RECOVERY FROM EXTREME ENDURANCE EVENTS: THE ?AWFUL AFTERS? COUNTING THE COST OF A 140-MILE TRANS-SAHARA FOOTRACE |

Post event water retention (and increased plasma levels) is edema and tissue repair related, it takes 2-5 days to return to normal. I often gain around 1% compared to baseline in the day or two afterwards and lose it by day 5.
Pretty sure it was the intensity. 30mi of hills, cranking 19-22mph on flats (one stretch was 4.5mi before a 2mi climb). My legs were toast. No bloating, normal diet, not an excessive water loss, did not prehydrate. Temps were 75deg.

Last edited by OldsCOOL; 05-12-14 at 05:41 AM.
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 05:38 AM   #12
Weatherby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Bikes: Too many
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
Pretty sure it was the intensity. 30mi of hills, cranking 19-22mph on flats (one stretch was 4.5mi before a 2mi climb). My legs were toast.
Do you know your pre and post ride weight?
Weatherby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 05:45 AM   #13
Weatherby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Bikes: Too many
Posts: 548
When you start a long ride properly hydrated and all topped off with glycogen. 400-600g of glycogen with 1000-1500 g of bound water is 3-4 pounds that could be shed during a ride without being dehydrated. Finishing a 1200k ride with bloated wrists is a clear sign of mismanaged intake of fluid, sodium and other electrolyttes.

Too many endurance athletes drink too much resulting in nausea, mental confusion, weakness, and dizziness.
Weatherby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 06:08 AM   #14
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
Posts: 10,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherby View Post
Do you know your pre and post ride weight?
Though I dont weigh in preride I have a solid guess I lost 1.5-2Lbs. Typically I grab a tall glass of water then grab a banana with a protein drink. So let's say 178 pre and 176 post ride. Retention varies but is usually shed in no more than the 3rd day.
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 06:14 AM   #15
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
Posts: 10,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherby View Post
When you start a long ride properly hydrated and all topped off with glycogen. 400-600g of glycogen with 1000-1500 g of bound water is 3-4 pounds that could be shed during a ride without being dehydrated. Finishing a 1200k ride with bloated wrists is a clear sign of mismanaged intake of fluid, sodium and other electrolyttes.

Too many endurance athletes drink too much resulting in nausea, mental confusion, weakness, and dizziness.
I dont hold to the "must hydrate every 15min" etc mindset unless I get caught in 95-98F and even then am careful to moderate intake according to intensity. I may not exceed a metric on my typical summer, most rides are fast 20-30mi with gobs of hills. Endurance rider I am not, though maybe in another 10yrs. I havent done a 100mi since Aug 2011.
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 08:53 AM   #16
donheff
Senior Member
 
donheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Capitol Hill, Washington, DC
Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp
Posts: 1,309
Interesting. I weigh myself every morning and notice 1-2 pound fluctuations that I can't correlate with food. I have also occasionally noticed the drop in water weight immediately after a long/strenuous ride which doesn't seem to last until the next day. I always just assumed the return weight was just water replenishment to normal. But this glycogen repair deal may have something to do with the unexpected 2 pound jumps to what I would call a high normal that I occasionally see. Whatever, it is all academic since I am primarily concerned that my weight stays consistent within a +- couple of pounds range.
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-16, 08:41 AM   #17
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
Posts: 10,859
Just had my first experience of this nagging little side effect. This one caught me by surprise as typically the water retention for muscle recovery takes place at the 60mi distance ride. This one was after a short but brutal 14mi hill ride finishing into a 2mi "give it all ya got left" ride in a strong 20mph headwind. My week has been all hill rides and some with a degree of wind. Great training week (though it is snowing now).

Total weight gain was 2.5lbs and was "let go" 36hrs later which equated a long, poor sleep kind of night. Every hour, to the bathroom. It was like taking a handful of lasix.
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-16, 12:08 PM   #18
MoAlpha
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 185
Glycogen is synthesized in muscle and liver, not transported there. As others have pointed out, glycogen storage binds 3 or 4 g of water for every g of glycogen, but that water goes into the circulation immediately with glycogen consumption during exercise. This sounds more like an enlarged prostate causing an attack of irritable bladder after riding, especially in the 50+ context. What kind of urine volumes are we talking, here?

Last edited by MoAlpha; 05-15-16 at 12:32 PM.
MoAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-16, 06:29 PM   #19
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
Posts: 10,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Glycogen is synthesized in muscle and liver, not transported there. As others have pointed out, glycogen storage binds 3 or 4 g of water for every g of glycogen, but that water goes into the circulation immediately with glycogen consumption during exercise. This sounds more like an enlarged prostate causing an attack of irritable bladder after riding, especially in the 50+ context. What kind of urine volumes are we talking, here?
After a long ride that pushes me to the edge (good workout) I gain about 2lbs. In 36 hours I lose the weight through urination. Since I ride days, it works out to nightime when the water loss takes place. All else is normal and dandy. Two pounds works out to approx 32oz liquid.
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 08:45 AM   #20
Wheever 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Westchester county, NY; Sag Harbor, NY; Pownal, VT
Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 4.5 disk, Ancient Trek 820 Mt Bike.
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
After a long ride that pushes me to the edge (good workout) I gain about 2lbs. In 36 hours I lose the weight through urination. Since I ride days, it works out to nightime when the water loss takes place. All else is normal and dandy. Two pounds works out to approx 32oz liquid.

I was was thinking of this thread all night, as I kept getting up to pee. I'd never actually put it together that sometimes after an especially hard ride this happens. But yesterday. I did a pretty hard ride--hardest of the season so far--only 40 miles, but with a lot more climbing than I'm used to, and a headwind all the way back. I must have gotten up to pee 5 times in the night, which is a lot for me. (And no, as someone suggested above, this was not about my prostate. I know what that feels like, and this was a full bladder needing to be emptied .)

So thanks for this thread, so now I'll know to expect it next time!
Wheever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 09:12 AM   #21
pdlamb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: northern Deep South
Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee
Posts: 2,639
I don't normally have that problem. If I burn up calories, I sweat all the accompanying water out -- and it takes some more through the sweat glands with it. If I catch up with fluid loss by the next day, I'm doing pretty well.
pdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 10:02 AM   #22
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
Posts: 10,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheever View Post
I was was thinking of this thread all night, as I kept getting up to pee. I'd never actually put it together that sometimes after an especially hard ride this happens. But yesterday. I did a pretty hard ride--hardest of the season so far--only 40 miles, but with a lot more climbing than I'm used to, and a headwind all the way back. I must have gotten up to pee 5 times in the night, which is a lot for me. (And no, as someone suggested above, this was not about my prostate. I know what that feels like, and this was a full bladder needing to be emptied .)

So thanks for this thread, so now I'll know to expect it next time!
It's a strange but now expected phenomena.
Previous to last week this was only happening on 60+mi rides but throw in a hard driving 30+ hill ride and here it comes.
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 10:25 AM   #23
Wheever 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Westchester county, NY; Sag Harbor, NY; Pownal, VT
Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 4.5 disk, Ancient Trek 820 Mt Bike.
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdlamb View Post
I don't normally have that problem. If I burn up calories, I sweat all the accompanying water out -- and it takes some more through the sweat glands with it. If I catch up with fluid loss by the next day, I'm doing pretty well.
I think for me it might depend on how hot it is, and yesterday it was barely warm, and the headwind all the way home was coming cold off the sound. I didn't sweat much, but I drank all 48 oz of my water, then about another 40 before bed. From thirst. Plus beer. Now that I'm aware of this phenomenon, I'll keep an eye on whether it's temperature related.
Wheever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 02:54 PM   #24
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International
Posts: 1,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
I've noticed it. It's annoying. I'm too lazy to google it.
...not as annoying as finding a bathroom in your dreams, and then using it.
BobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 03:08 PM   #25
bransom
Senior Member
 
bransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: St. Louis area
Bikes:
Posts: 347
OldsCOOL, I get the same effect after a really hard ride — one that's long and hard enough that I'm sore afterwards. Weight increase the next day followed by a night of peeing myself back to normal.
bransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:19 PM.