User Tag List

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Season's First "Glycogen Transport"

At least that is what I call it. Went for the first 30mi ride on Thursday and a very hilly one. Though I wasn't sore the next day I could tell something good happened. Last night, 2 days later, I'm up every 2 hours going to the bathroom. Finally after the 3rd trip I was reminded of this physical dynamic of the body holding extra water to transport needed glycogen to depleted muscles. When the body sheds the extra water I can wear a path to the bathroom in the night. When trying to cut weight I have noticed a strange increase the next day rather than a weight loss due to water/fluid uptake. Usually this dynamic is not noticeable until I hit the 50mi mark but for this occasion I will blame the hills.

Anyone else notice this? Perhaps have a medical term for this?
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've noticed it. It's annoying. I'm too lazy to google it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding is that 1g of glycogen bonds to 4g of water. This explains much of the weight loss after a big ride where you can burn through 500g of glycogen and lose an extra 2kg of water. This doesn't explain your water loss a couple days later though.

I commute a couple of hours every day so don't notice any particular ups and downs unless I change my salt intake.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    I've noticed it. It's annoying. I'm too lazy to google it.
    Quite annoying.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
    My understanding is that 1g of glycogen bonds to 4g of water. This explains much of the weight loss after a big ride where you can burn through 500g of glycogen and lose an extra 2kg of water. This doesn't explain your water loss a couple days later though.

I commute a couple of hours every day so don't notice any particular ups and downs unless I change my salt intake.
    For me to experience this there has to be an exertion beyond the norm, a ride that pushes me (from what I can tell). The whole thing catches me off guard though I can bet it will occur at night.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

My Bikes
    rivendell romulus terratrike rover
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard exercise makes your muscles slightly inflamed. Inflamed tissue absorbs water so for a day or so after a hard bike ride you can gain weight as water.

Charlie
    Grimly determined to have fun.

katydid
    My Bikes
    Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow....explains why the next day after a hard long ride I am dizzy then... I thought I drank enough, but if I am understanding your post the body excretes that water beyond the norm? I checked my BP and it was really low even though I wasn't even remotely feeling dehydrated.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katydid View Post
    Wow....explains why the next day after a hard long ride I am dizzy then... I thought I drank enough, but if I am understanding your post the body excretes that water beyond the norm? I checked my BP and it was really low even though I wasn't even remotely feeling dehydrated.
    Welcome to the forums!
    Basically what happens is you will hang on to water weight and normally it would be unnoticed unless you watch your weight. You will notice a gain of a few pounds rather than an expected weight loss the next day. It is a transport of glycogen, water and blood transported nutrients to heal and recover stressed muscles. About 48hrs later your body will shed the extra water fluids through urination which will seem unusually frequent and quite annoying should it take place during sleep. This is the signal to me that my body is ready for another ride of moderate intensity. Rarely has the "diuretic" episode occured during the day.

Dizzy/lightheadedness can be your body rerouting blood to the legs and not so much elsewhere. Far from a cardiology assessment I'd describe it as a collecting of blood in the legs until the body adjusts to the stress. Also, if you have this feeling the day after you could have mild heat exhaustion. I get this when riding in 90+deg weather and is accompanied by mild nausea. It's your body saying "I didnt like that very much".
    Last edited by OldsCOOL; 05-12-14 at 05:08 AM.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. I experience it and it can be disconcerting to be on a weight control regimen and see a one or two kilogram increase in weight after a long ride. But as observed, the water disappears over the next couple of days.

I don't recall this being so obvious when I was doing randonnees regularly. It is accepted that for many riders at the end of 1200km randonnees, they will have swollen ankles. Maybe riding a lot such as gregf83 said means the fluid retention becomes less of an issue because of the body's adaptations. Which means... more riding...
    Dream. Dare. Do.

My Bikes
    Too many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was your weight post and pre ride? I am surprised such a relatively short ride has this effect.

Bloating and swelling during an event is due to excessive fluid intake with insufficient sodium intake. It is called hyponatremia.

https://ultracycling.com/sections/ar...onatremia2.php
    Exercise-Associated Hyponatremia

Exercise associated postural hypotension.....water logged.

Waterlogged - Timothy Noakes

MUSCLE RECOVERY FROM EXTREME ENDURANCE EVENTS: THE ?AWFUL AFTERS? COUNTING THE COST OF A 140-MILE TRANS-SAHARA FOOTRACE |

Post event water retention (and increased plasma levels) is edema and tissue repair related, it takes 2-5 days to return to normal. I often gain around 1% compared to baseline in the day or two afterwards and lose it by day 5.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby View Post
    What was your weight post and pre ride? I am surprised such a relatively short ride has this effect.

Bloating and swelling during an event is due to excessive fluid intake with insufficient sodium intake. It is called hyponatremia.

https://ultracycling.com/sections/ar...onatremia2.php
    Exercise-Associated Hyponatremia

Exercise associated postural hypotension.....water logged.

Waterlogged - Timothy Noakes

MUSCLE RECOVERY FROM EXTREME ENDURANCE EVENTS: THE ?AWFUL AFTERS? COUNTING THE COST OF A 140-MILE TRANS-SAHARA FOOTRACE |

Post event water retention (and increased plasma levels) is edema and tissue repair related, it takes 2-5 days to return to normal. I often gain around 1% compared to baseline in the day or two afterwards and lose it by day 5.
    Pretty sure it was the intensity. 30mi of hills, cranking 19-22mph on flats (one stretch was 4.5mi before a 2mi climb). My legs were toast. No bloating, normal diet, not an excessive water loss, did not prehydrate. Temps were 75deg.
    Last edited by OldsCOOL; 05-12-14 at 06:41 AM.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

My Bikes
    Too many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
    Pretty sure it was the intensity. 30mi of hills, cranking 19-22mph on flats (one stretch was 4.5mi before a 2mi climb). My legs were toast.
    Do you know your pre and post ride weight?

My Bikes
    Too many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you start a long ride properly hydrated and all topped off with glycogen. 400-600g of glycogen with 1000-1500 g of bound water is 3-4 pounds that could be shed during a ride without being dehydrated. Finishing a 1200k ride with bloated wrists is a clear sign of mismanaged intake of fluid, sodium and other electrolyttes.

Too many endurance athletes drink too much resulting in nausea, mental confusion, weakness, and dizziness.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know your pre and post ride weight?
    Though I dont weigh in preride I have a solid guess I lost 1.5-2Lbs. Typically I grab a tall glass of water then grab a banana with a protein drink. So let's say 178 pre and 176 post ride. Retention varies but is usually shed in no more than the 3rd day.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you start a long ride properly hydrated and all topped off with glycogen. 400-600g of glycogen with 1000-1500 g of bound water is 3-4 pounds that could be shed during a ride without being dehydrated. Finishing a 1200k ride with bloated wrists is a clear sign of mismanaged intake of fluid, sodium and other electrolyttes.

Too many endurance athletes drink too much resulting in nausea, mental confusion, weakness, and dizziness.
    I dont hold to the "must hydrate every 15min" etc mindset unless I get caught in 95-98F and even then am careful to moderate intake according to intensity. I may not exceed a metric on my typical summer, most rides are fast 20-30mi with gobs of hills. Endurance rider I am not, though maybe in another 10yrs. I havent done a 100mi since Aug 2011.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. I weigh myself every morning and notice 1-2 pound fluctuations that I can't correlate with food. I have also occasionally noticed the drop in water weight immediately after a long/strenuous ride which doesn't seem to last until the next day. I always just assumed the return weight was just water replenishment to normal. But this glycogen repair deal may have something to do with the unexpected 2 pound jumps to what I would call a high normal that I occasionally see. Whatever, it is all academic since I am primarily concerned that my weight stays consistent within a +- couple of pounds range.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson