Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An interesting occurance

MY wife and I were riding on Saturday, Mothers Day ride she set the route, on a rural-ish road. This road has a large smooth shoulder for most of the time we are on it. We approached an intersection where we were going to turn left. Just before the intersection there was an SUV parked on the side of the road. At the relative slow speed of a bicycle, we go a good look at it and could see the blue and red lights behind the tinted windows. Yup, John Q. Law.
    My wife checks behind us, no cars in sight, singles the left turn, and we proceeded to make the turn. Before we complete the turn, I'm still on the right side of the yellow lines, she is just over, a car comes around the bend, and passed us on the right. I didnít really feel like I was in danger, but he could have slowed a bit.
    Remember the other car with the blue and red lights? He also though the car, that passed us on the right, may have been going a bit too fast. I heard the engine rev so I turned my head to look, and saw the flashing blue and red lights speed after the car.
    The rest of our ride was pleasant and uneventful.
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would seem that the police were doing what they should have.

My Bikes
    2012 Trek Madone 5.2, 2012 Giant Composite XTC 29er 1, 2014 Specialized Dolce Sport, (2) 2014 Trek 7.1FX, 2014 Electra Townie 7D
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always wish things like that would happen in front of the police but they never seem to be around when they happen to me.

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
    I always wish things like that would happen in front of the police but they never seem to be around when they happen to me.
    Some years ago while heading north on I-75 in Georgia in right lane trooper passes on left then proceeds to move into right lane. Car quickly passes me on left and continues. Trooper moves to left lane, accelerates, drives a bit, flips on lights, pulls fast car over.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kudos to the LEO of your locale.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ka-BOOM!! Busted.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes, the good guys win.

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
    MY wife and I were riding on Saturday, Mothers Day ride she set the route, on a rural-ish road. This road has a large smooth shoulder for most of the time we are on it. We approached an intersection where we were going to turn left. Just before the intersection there was an SUV parked on the side of the road. At the relative slow speed of a bicycle, we go a good look at it and could see the blue and red lights behind the tinted windows. Yup, John Q. Law.
    My wife checks behind us, no cars in sight, singles the left turn, and we proceeded to make the turn. Before we complete the turn, I'm still on the right side of the yellow lines, she is just over, a car comes around the bend, and passed us on the right. I didn’t really feel like I was in danger, but he could have slowed a bit.
    Remember the other car with the blue and red lights? He also though the car, that passed us on the right, may have been going a bit too fast. I heard the engine rev so I turned my head to look, and saw the flashing blue and red lights speed after the car.
    The rest of our ride was pleasant and uneventful.
    I could have used one of those yesterday, guy in big old car, pulls left around me, then immediately turns right. This at a RED traffic light. while I am looking and shaking my head, the light turns green, this rather dangerous move, saved him about 1.5 seconds.... Got a look at the driver, yup, old enough to know better....

My Bikes
    Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once had a pickup truck pass me and some guys in the back of the truck started throwing rotten apples at me. They got arrested. Turns out a police officer had seen them do it. Reckless endangerment. Caught on the police car video. Not sure what the outcome of the case was though, I was out of state on tour and the police told me that since they saw it and had it on video they wouldn't need a statement from me.
    The more you drive the less intelligent you are. - Tracy Walter as Miller in Repo Man.