User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

32 miles, 4 deer, two wild turkeys.

Finally, some good weather. Temps in the low 70s, a little wind, not too much, and interesting things to see. One of my longest rides so far this season which is a late start.

Went down the road where last year two women said they saw a wildcat and her cubs crossing near them. (twisted grammar).

My treat was to see 4 deer, a doe and 3 yearlings, grazing placidly in a recent cutting. Managed to resist the newly opened ice cream stand (well, I had just finished a Snickers when I stopped briefly at the beach.) Ah, Spring! And the long summer stretching out ahead.

Got the old Fuji off the training stand in the basement and am thinking of using it for local jaunts and maybe a few outdoor painting sessions. Think I can improve my weekly cycling total by not limiting my rides to those requiring full battle gear (shoes, shorts, jersey, etc.) In choosing places to paint it is much easier and user-friendly to take the bike, at least for small plein air oil sketches. My camera finally gave up after I dropped it twice so I guess I will have to illustrate future posts.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

My Bikes
    2014 Giant Escape 1, Junk Walmart Job - Mongoose DXR mountain bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha, sorry, have to laugh at the title, "32 miles, 4 deer, 2 wild turkey." I probably see that every 2 miles

I like how everyone always states "wild turkey" as if it is an every day occurrence to see domesticated turkey. Then again, if I ride the trail local to work, I pass by a turkey farm so I do see about 100 non-wild turkey.

I was on another trail last night and just realized, I didn't see a single deer. I'm usually good for seeing at least 8 deer in the 6 miles up to my turn-around point. I do pass by a hillside that is just covered with "wild" turkey. It's crazy to stop and hear them all gobbling. Must be hundreds on that hillside.
    Ride no faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
    Ha, sorry, have to laugh at the title, "32 miles, 4 deer, 2 wild turkey." I probably see that every 2 miles
    Maine Has seen fewer deer in recent years but I believe they are coming back. Of course I can only speak for the relatively populated Southern area. The game preserve where I was cycling used to have them on a daily basis but those I saw yesterday were the first I had seen there in years. The two "wild turkeys" were strolling down a dirt road, one on each side as though they had just had an argument.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

My Bikes
    Too many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see hundreds of deer on a one hour sunset ride. So many car accidents from them. I frequently almost get hit as they jump out of the hedgegrow onto the road. Early morning and early evening is the most likely time to see them. They usually only come out once during the day for a brief feeding. Like most prey, they are nocturnal.

My Bikes
    Too many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sculptor7 View Post
    Maine Has seen fewer deer in recent years but I believe they are coming back. Of course I can only speak for the relatively populated Southern area. The game preserve where I was cycling used to have them on a daily basis but those I saw yesterday were the first I had seen there in years. The two "wild turkeys" were strolling down a dirt road, one on each side as though they had just had an argument.
    You are aware that it is turkey hunting season and you are riding your bike on hunting land? Near turkeys. Might want to put some bright orange on to stay safe. Just trying to be helpful here...

Where I live, all these preserve lands were bought with hunting license fees. "Bikers" and hikers are free to ride/hike there on Sundays (no hunting on sundays). I am always amazed at the sheer stupidity of people wandering (actually trespassing in some instances) onto hunting land wearing a brown sheepskin coat when there are warning signs everywhere. In a couple weeks, you should be perfectly safe until season opens in the Fall.

My Bikes
    surly LHT, paris sport fixie, trek 5000, fuji ss
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby View Post
    I am always amazed at the sheer stupidity of people wandering (actually trespassing in some instances) onto hunting land wearing a brown sheepskin coat when there are warning signs everywhere.
    Yeah, It kinda reminds me of the stupidity of hunters shooting each other thinking they are turkeys.
    Last edited by BigAura; 05-13-14 at 08:14 AM.

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby View Post
    You are aware that it is turkey hunting season and you are riding your bike on hunting land? Near turkeys. Might want to put some bright orange on to stay safe. Just trying to be helpful here...

Where I live, all these preserve lands were bought with hunting license fees. "Bikers" and hikers are free to ride/hike there on Sundays (no hunting on sundays). I am always amazed at the sheer stupidity of people wandering (actually trespassing in some instances) onto hunting land wearing a brown sheepskin coat when there are warning signs everywhere. In a couple weeks, you should be perfectly safe until season opens in the Fall.
    There is no hunting on the land I referred to. I probably mis-spoke regarding "Game Preserve". It is all posted. And used by walkers, cyclists, etc. In any case I would not ride where there was danger of being shot. There is danger enough in riding roads where people frequently cross double yellow lines while texting, etc.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

My Bikes
    2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hah! I mis-read the title as "32 miles, 4 beers, two wild turkeys." I was thinking that 4 beers and 2 bourbons after riding 32 miles would probably knock me on my butt.

Carry on.

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times…"
    Could Dickens have had the weather in Maine in mind when he wrote those lines?

Yesterday was lovely; today was hell. Cold NE wind and a few cold drizzles to season the atmosphere which hung like a pall over the normal ride route. I was cold even with my new Pearl Izumi insulated jacket. Even stuffed my jersey with toilet paper from a rest stop. Did 34.3 miles (my wife wanted to clean and wanted me out of the house). The game sanctuary I passed yesterday had no visible game (they had more sense and stayed in).
    Oh, and it is not a game preserve but a game sanctuary, if that matters.
    Last edited by Sculptor7; 05-17-14 at 01:42 PM.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1