Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Going against traffic

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Going against traffic

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-14, 10:14 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A bicycle needs to follow the same laws as the automobile, so riding against traffic is out.

I ran for 40 years..you have to run against traffic so you can see what is coming at you.
Old 05-26-14, 01:31 AM
Avid Cyclist

Bikes: Diamondback Century Disc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are lots of bike "lanes" in Mid Ohio and I am generally not a fan of them. They are often placed on busy streets and motorists are lulled into thinking that bikes belong in the lanes, but, when they turn into a store parking lot, whether with traffic or across it, they forget to look at the bike lanes to see if there is someone pedaling in that section.

My wife and I live on the edge of farmland. We rode toward a metro park that we visit fairly frequently. We came to a section of bike path that they created last year and took the new path for several miles. In most places, it parallels the county road, but, in some sections it is as far as 100 feet from the road. The roads in that section of the county can sometimes be rough. The bike path was like riding on a pane of glass.

After the ride, my wife commented that she loved the new bike path (a rails-to-trails construction) and hoped to ride it quite a lot. It was a quiet, pleasant part of the two-hours and ten minutes we spent on our bikes.
Old 05-26-14, 07:35 AM

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by cuzzinit
Ok i expected some disagreement when i posted, but suggesting you would assult me ? WTF ! i did not expect such brow beating by so many who have an in tolerance to opinions differing from theirs.... i will not post on the 50+ forum again.... i ride against traffic when i feel it is unsafe to be approached from the back.... this comes from years of experiences, i've read and listened to bicycle safety articles and understand what they say. But having been hit more than once i've learned to stay out of harms way..... if you have a problem with that it is your problem. Bye
What idiotic behavior on your part. I especially like the notion that you can ride the wrong way and then force me to evade you or take a dive into traffic. Jerk behavior like this is just unacceptable. No wonder you've been hit before. You have no sense.
Old 05-26-14, 09:42 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Ok i expected some disagreement when i posted, but suggesting you would assult me ? WTF ! i did not expect such brow beating by so many who have an in tolerance to opinions differing from theirs.... i will not post on the 50+ forum again.... i ride against traffic when i feel it is unsafe to be approached from the back.... this comes from years of experiences, i've read and listened to bicycle safety articles and understand what they say. But having been hit more than once i've learned to stay out of harms way..... if you have a problem with that it is your problem. Bye
I have come across wrong way people on bicycles before, and informed them nicely that they were on the wrong side of the road. The responses ranged from kicking at me, to yelling F* YOU..... After being attacked, I decided to get less tolerant of the practice. It also tends to annoy the cagers, and the cager that has a bee in his bonnet from your actions, may just intentionally take it out on me. Little chance, since I am nowhere near KY, but still... As I said before, some possible alternative solutions would be a mirror (I use a helmet mounted Take-A-Look myself), running a rear light in flashing mode, or a visibility vest.

Last edited by Wogster; 05-26-14 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-26-14, 01:15 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,616 Posts
WTF ! i did not expect such brow beating by so many who have an in tolerance to opinions differing from theirs
I perceive this not to be an issue of intolerance to different ideas, but rather your refusing to acknowledge you're wrong despite overwhelming evidence against you.

No, you don't deserve to be kicked into traffic, no one was suggesting that - it was only mentioned that it has happened; the point being that the salmon is putting the righteous rider in such a dangerous position that such an action might be an acceptable defense.

I don't like runner salmon either, but they've got a better argument.

Anyway, bye.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 05-26-14 at 01:18 PM.