Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Chain ? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/949962-chain.html)

JanMM 05-25-14 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 16791217)
Good clarification. I was referring to the SRAM 10 sp. I have reusable 10 sp KMC links as well.

I was referring to 8- and 9-speed stuff.

clifftaylor 05-26-14 05:22 AM

KMC 10 speed - last for ages, don't rust any time soon; joined with a Connex link, as I never got the hang of undoing the KMC version without the appropriate tool.

Shimagnolo 05-26-14 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by clifftaylor (Post 16792047)
KMC 10 speed - last for ages, don't rust any time soon; joined with a Connex link, as I never got the hang of undoing the KMC version without the appropriate tool.

When you buy a KMC chain, they randomly throw either type of link in there.
The last two I bought came with non-latching links.
Several before that came with latching links.

Rons 05-26-14 06:44 PM

Thanks for all of the input. I ended up ordering a wippermann connex link and a SRAM chain.

BluesDawg 05-27-14 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo (Post 16791048)
SRAM and KMC both make two types of links:

1. A non-latching type which can be removed with bare fingers; (SRAM 8s & 9s PowerLINK, KMC calls it "reusable").

2. A latching type that needs a tool to separate; (SRAM 10s & 11s PowerLOCK, KMC calls it "non-reusable").

Yes, but many people, myself included, often find the type 1 links difficult to remove and prefer to use the Park tool to quickly and easily open them.

Altbark 05-28-14 04:19 AM

SRAM chains appropriate to the drivetrain. I never pay more than $20. Work well and last a long time.

Lube? Something that doesn't cause rust. Al

Shimagnolo 05-28-14 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 16797734)
Yes, but many people, myself included, often find the type 1 links difficult to remove and prefer to use the Park tool to quickly and easily open them.

No argument here.
I have 4 bikes, and at any point in time, I don't know which ones have which type of link.
So I just use the tool on all of them, since even the non-latching type comes off easier.

Joe Minton 07-27-14 09:23 PM

KMC makes all of Shimano's chain. I believe that Wippermann makes Campagnolo chain. Don't know about SRAM.

Joe

FBinNY 07-27-14 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Minton (Post 16980555)
KMC makes all of Shimano's chain. I believe that Wippermann makes Campagnolo chain. Don't know about SRAM.

Joe

Last I heard directly, KMC made some (most?) of Shimano's chains, but not all. And Campagnolo has been making their own chains in house since at least Y2K. (this is 1st hand based on watching them being made during a factory tour).

volosong 07-27-14 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rons (Post 16788692)
Is there a problem running a SRAM or KMC chain with Shimano derailleurs? The shimano chains are a little higher in price and don't seem to wear well. I like the idea of getting the SRAM 10 speed with the power link included. Any favorites? Thanks for any input.

One of my bikes has a KMC chain on it, (all my bikes are Shimano, of some level). On all of my bikes, I have either a KMC or SRAM quicklink. Also carry a spare quicklink in each of the saddle bags.

(No experience with SRAM chains, so cannot comment on those.)

jppe 07-28-14 06:23 AM

fwiw-I just replaced the chain on my Cervelo with the SRAM Red 10 sp components. The chain that was on there was a PC 1091 which is the Hollow Pin chain. I had 5000+ miles on it. It still measured to be pretty good but I just decided that was enough miles on that chain....I opted to use the SRAM connector link. I've used others without an issue but my LBS fella indicated that he had never seen a SRAM power link fail but experienced issues (while isolated) with others.

mapeiboy 07-28-14 06:11 PM

Good to know Campagnolo make their chains in house . I have Chorus 10 speed on one bike and 11 speed on another bike . I really like Campagnolo stuffs , group set , wheels , chains , because it produced everything in house .

silkey 07-28-14 06:45 PM

i am with RoadTire on this one.how about a chain that changed color depending on cadence? talk about wow factor!

GeneO 07-28-14 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 16788986)
OCD folks prefer one brand for the entire drivetrain.

No, OCD folks prefer one brand and one model line for their entire drivetrain. :D

I have used KMC and SRAM chains on my Shimano drivetrain with no issues. Now I am trying to achieve OCD Nirvana for no particular reason.