Thread: Chain ?

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Good clarification. I was referring to the SRAM 10 sp. I have reusable 10 sp KMC links as well.
    I was referring to 8- and 9-speed stuff.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KMC 10 speed - last for ages, don't rust any time soon; joined with a Connex link, as I never got the hang of undoing the KMC version without the appropriate tool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clifftaylor View Post
    KMC 10 speed - last for ages, don't rust any time soon; joined with a Connex link, as I never got the hang of undoing the KMC version without the appropriate tool.
    When you buy a KMC chain, they randomly throw either type of link in there.
    The last two I bought came with non-latching links.
    Several before that came with latching links.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the input. I ended up ordering a wippermann connex link and a SRAM chain.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
    SRAM and KMC both make two types of links:

1. A non-latching type which can be removed with bare fingers; (SRAM 8s & 9s PowerLINK, KMC calls it "reusable").

2. A latching type that needs a tool to separate; (SRAM 10s & 11s PowerLOCK, KMC calls it "non-reusable").
    Yes, but many people, myself included, often find the type 1 links difficult to remove and prefer to use the Park tool to quickly and easily open them.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2010 Cannondale T1, 1998 Specialized FSR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SRAM chains appropriate to the drivetrain. I never pay more than $20. Work well and last a long time.

Lube? Something that doesn't cause rust. Al

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Yes, but many people, myself included, often find the type 1 links difficult to remove and prefer to use the Park tool to quickly and easily open them.
    No argument here.
    I have 4 bikes, and at any point in time, I don't know which ones have which type of link.
    So I just use the tool on all of them, since even the non-latching type comes off easier.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KMC makes all of Shimano's chain. I believe that Wippermann makes Campagnolo chain. Don't know about SRAM.

Joe
    Living a fact-based life.

My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Minton View Post
    KMC makes all of Shimano's chain. I believe that Wippermann makes Campagnolo chain. Don't know about SRAM.

Joe
    Last I heard directly, KMC made some (most?) of Shimano's chains, but not all. And Campagnolo has been making their own chains in house since at least Y2K. (this is 1st hand based on watching them being made during a factory tour).
    FB
    Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rons View Post
    Is there a problem running a SRAM or KMC chain with Shimano derailleurs? The shimano chains are a little higher in price and don't seem to wear well. I like the idea of getting the SRAM 10 speed with the power link included. Any favorites? Thanks for any input.
    One of my bikes has a KMC chain on it, (all my bikes are Shimano, of some level). On all of my bikes, I have either a KMC or SRAM quicklink. Also carry a spare quicklink in each of the saddle bags.

(No experience with SRAM chains, so cannot comment on those.)
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fwiw-I just replaced the chain on my Cervelo with the SRAM Red 10 sp components. The chain that was on there was a PC 1091 which is the Hollow Pin chain. I had 5000+ miles on it. It still measured to be pretty good but I just decided that was enough miles on that chain....I opted to use the SRAM connector link. I've used others without an issue but my LBS fella indicated that he had never seen a SRAM power link fail but experienced issues (while isolated) with others.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Colnago EP with Campy chorus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know Campagnolo make their chains in house . I have Chorus 10 speed on one bike and 11 speed on another bike . I really like Campagnolo stuffs , group set , wheels , chains , because it produced everything in house .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am with RoadTire on this one.how about a chain that changed color depending on cadence? talk about wow factor!

My Bikes
    Felt F55X
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    OCD folks prefer one brand for the entire drivetrain.
    No, OCD folks prefer one brand and one model line for their entire drivetrain.

I have used KMC and SRAM chains on my Shimano drivetrain with no issues. Now I am trying to achieve OCD Nirvana for no particular reason.
    2012 Felt F55X

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12