User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chain ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chain ?

Is there a problem running a SRAM or KMC chain with Shimano derailleurs? The shimano chains are a little higher in price and don't seem to wear well. I like the idea of getting the SRAM 10 speed with the power link included. Any favorites? Thanks for any input.

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rons View Post
    Is there a problem running a SRAM or KMC chain with Shimano derailleurs? The shimano chains are a little higher in price and don't seem to wear well. I like the idea of getting the SRAM 10 speed with the power link included. Any favorites? Thanks for any input.
    There shouldn't be any problem, all three bikes here are running KMC chains, none of them are new, at least one has 3,000+ km on it, still runs like new. Other then wiping them down when they look like they need it, then applying fresh lube, I don't do anything with them....

My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No there's never a problem with chain brands as long as the width (ie, 9s vs.10s).

Chains are one o the most standardized parts on a bicycle, and roller width and diameter is the same across all brands. There are differences in the shapes of the plates which can affect shifting a bit, but all chains run the same.
    FB
    Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A chain brand thread. I think that it's kind of like choosing an appropriate lubricant for your chain. People whom I respect have very strongly held but conflicting opinions regarding chain brands. I think you'll be better served to stick to non-controversial topics like religion or politics.

I prefer SRAM chains myself but don't ask me why.
    My greatest fear is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was.

My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    A chain brand thread. I think that it's kind of like choosing an appropriate lubricant for your chain.

Hey!!!!!
    FB
    Chain-L site

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    Hey!!!!!
    I'll get back to you when the chain lube in my little bottle runs out - provided I don't die first. I don't use very much.
    My greatest fear is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'll get back to you when the chain lube in my little bottle runs out - provided I don't die first. I don't use very much.
    I guess I shouldn't hold my breath.
    FB
    Chain-L site

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I shouldn't hold my breath.
    If you're depending on the profit from my chain lube purchases to upgrade your lifestyle, you should probably get comfortable with the way that you're living now. On the upside, you are on my list of vendors that I plan to try.

My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Bacchetta Strada, Rodriguez Tandem
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've run both Shimano and Sram , I've not noticed any difference in wear

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you're depending on the profit from my chain lube purchases to upgrade your lifestyle, you should probably get comfortable with the way that you're living now. On the upside, you are on my list of vendors that I plan to try.
    I've been in the bicycle business all my adult life. Adjusting lifestyle to reality goes with the territory.
    FB
    Chain-L site

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OCD folks prefer one brand for the entire drivetrain.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    OCD folks prefer one brand for the entire drivetrain.
    Truth be told, I select my bike chains based on color. Which is really dumb because I'm not the kind of rider who cleans his chain after every ride.

Speaking of which, anybody know what color FB's chain lube turns when it gets a little dirty?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A chain brand thread. I think that it's kind of like choosing an appropriate lubricant for your chain. People whom I respect have very strongly held but conflicting opinions regarding chain brands. I think you'll be better served to stick to non-controversial topics like religion or politics.

I prefer SRAM chains myself but don't ask me why.
    Choosing a chain lube, that's easy: Do you want a wet lube or a dry lube? For fair weather bikes, your better dry, for all weather bikes, your better wet. Okay, having answered that question, what's on sale this week?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Speaking of which, anybody know what color FB's chain lube turns when it gets a little dirty?
    That's easy. get a deck of cards, find the ace of spades. That's very close to the color.
    FB
    Chain-L site

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's easy. get a deck of cards, find the ace of spades. That's very close to the color.
    That's too bad. I think that I picked the chain lube I'm using now because it was called Dura-Gold or something like that.

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like KMC's 9 and 10 speed chains because of the way they are riveted. I've used SRAM in the past without issue. I bought both these brands because of the easy-to-use joining link, which has been made even easier with acquisition of a pair of link pliers.

I will use Shimano chains if the price is right for the model I am after, but refuse to use their rivet system to join them, and opt instead for a KMC joiner link.

I strongly believe using a rivet to join a chain, whether it is a Shimano or some other brand, is what leads to many chain failures, likely because it hasn't been inserted properly and backed off as in the instructions. I just find it so inconvenient when putting a chain on the bike. It's probably why I won't ever get a job at a bike shop.

I think KMC 9 and 10 speed chains can't be joined again using just the rivet because of how they are designed.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

My Bikes
    '98 Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979, Univega Alpina, Felt Little B@st@rd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only chain that gave me a problem was an SRAM with a Powerlink, I threw that b!tch off just as I was heading up an onramp and had just shifted. The bike shop not 50 feet from did not have a spare to help me out so I had to call for sag support from a co-worker. As cheap as they are I just bought a new one and made d@mn sure the Powerlink was installed properly. Not a problem since...

I changed bikes and am riding a Shimano 105 group with a CN-5701
    And tell my mama I'm a hundred years late
    I'm over the rails and out of the race...

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used Shimano, KMC, SRAM and Campy......all good.

My experience has been the SRAM masterlink can only be removed with the Link Tool. However's KMC's quick link can easily be removed by hand.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    '09 Trek 2.1, '75 Sekine, '90 Giant Mtb, Raleigh M20, Fuji Nevada mtb.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Truth be told, I select my bike chains based on color. Which is really dumb because I'm not the kind of rider who cleans his chain after every ride.

I suspect it starts out green, then goes to yellow as a warning, then red indicating stop immediately and relube, and black when it's dead.

Come to think of it, wouldn't that be cool to have the chains themselves change color as they wear?
    "Of course you eat too much" (Looigi) There are things people say that are so true you can never forget the wisdom. I still eat too much. Without denial.
    Awarded 2014 Billy Madison "Ultimate Insult" by jsharr. Must have been something about my rambling, incoherent response...

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    lube?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post

My experience has been the SRAM masterlink can only be removed with the Link Tool. However's KMC's quick link can easily be removed by hand.
    Just the opposite of my experience - had to get a Park masterlink tool when I started using KMC chains/masterlinks after years of no problems with SRAM.

Have never had a masterlink of either brand fail but in recent years have given spare KMC masterlinks to two tandem teams stranded on the roadside by masterlink failures - don't know what brands.
    I always carry a couple of the KMC ones - bought a bunch of them on Amazon.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    Just the opposite of my experience - had to get a Park masterlink tool when I started using KMC chains/masterlinks after years of no problems with SRAM.

Have never had a masterlink of either brand fail but in recent years have given spare KMC masterlinks to two tandem teams stranded on the roadside by masterlink failures - don't know what brands.
    I always carry a couple of the KMC ones - bought a bunch of them on Amazon.
    I suspect that master link failures are master links not installed properly....

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogster View Post
    I suspect that master link failures are master links not installed properly....
    The most recent episode I think was a chain that got dumped to the inside and then inadvertently came apart and one half got lost in the process of trying to dislodge the chain from where it ended up. Not really a masterlink failure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post

SRAM and KMC both make two types of links:

1. A non-latching type which can be removed with bare fingers; (SRAM 8s & 9s PowerLINK, KMC calls it "reusable").

2. A latching type that needs a tool to separate; (SRAM 10s & 11s PowerLOCK, KMC calls it "non-reusable").

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
    SRAM and KMC both make two types of links:

1. A non-latching type which can be removed with bare fingers; (SRAM 8s & 9s PowerLINK, KMC calls it "reusable").

2. A latching type that needs a tool to separate; (SRAM 10s & 11s PowerLOCK, KMC calls it "non-reusable").
    Good clarification. I was referring to the SRAM 10 sp. I have reusable 10 sp KMC links as well.
    Ride your Ride!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast