Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Choice for transition to first road bike

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-14, 07:49 PM

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've seen a ton of these posts in other threads and fora, but the civility in this forum leads me to ask the question here first. A search shows conversion of a hybrid to roadie is out. I almost bit on a LBS 10% discount on a Trek 2.0 but it's still almost $1300. I understand there is a considerable number of folks who "hate" Trek but the invective doesn't help make a decision. I've got 4000 miles on mine without a single complaint; to me it's a competent, acceptable brand. A review of Craigslist in the DC/Baltimore suggests there might be some good deals to try, especially since I can test ride the bikes. So far I'm considering (all are 56 cm):

- 2013 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE Road Bike - $900 (looks great..gives me goose bumps!)
- 200? Specialized Allez Elite - $550 (all silver 2005/2006/2007) double
- 2011 Trek 2.1 - $975
- 2012 Specialized Tarmac C2- 2012, Size 56, Black/White - $1000 (seems really aggressive..too much?)
- 2005 Specialized Allez Elite - $575 (red w white trim) Not sure of year; from photo looks like a triple

I love riding. So far I've logged 4000 miles around the DC area since last July trainer or roads/trails, no rough trails. I am not interested in racing. From discussing with various stores my requirement would be an endurance road bike as opposed to racing. My price range is between $500 and $1000 max.

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Last edited by Rich Gibson; 05-27-14 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-27-14, 07:59 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Transition ? after the swim you put on the bike shoes and ride to the place where you hang the bike up, start the running part ..

they are just different brands trying to get a slice of the Bike Market segment good / bad at bike shops is really such a small difference,

mostly owing to shop service after the sale .. pick the dealer then test ride the bikes ..

the parts to build a $500 are not as costly as those to build one that costs 2X as much .

Reality .. I cannot assess used bikes for you from the other side of the country ..
Old 05-27-14, 08:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As I mentioned these are off Craig's List DC/Baltimore. I have a great little repair shop to do any service needed. I realize used stuff may need to be fixed. I was hoping for objective assessment of the particular model lines in terms of reliability, ride, comfort. I understand a bike costing 2x as much is 2x as costly to build. These bikes were all around $1200 new. Any other comments/suggestions?

Thanks, Rich
Old 05-27-14, 10:31 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I would try a few different models to see which kind of frame geometry works best for you. For example, the Specialized Sectuer or Roubaix models would be the "endurance" models while the Allez and Tarmac are more "race" geometry with shorter head tubes and chainstays and quicker steering. The Allez is actually a bit less aggressive than the Tarmac while the Sectuer and Roubaix have basically identical geometry. Other brands have similar distinctions but I am less familiar with their model names.

By researching the brand websites you can find geometry charts for most bikes. Comparing stack and reach (if given), head tube length, chainstay length, head tube angle and seat tube angle, you can get an idea how the different models will handle. Of course, actually riding them would be the best confirmation.
Old 05-27-14, 11:51 PM

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nothing wrong with Trek. My first two hybrids and first two road bikes were Treks

An endurance style road bike sounds perfect. You might also consider cross bikes as well as pure road bikes. It's basically a road bike with more durable tires, and brakes, along with some other geometry differences. It's nice for riding on stuff like the C&O canal, or other gravel-type roads. But it can still do well on pavement, although it won't feel as sprightly as a road bike. It may be heavier too.

I happen to have a Specialize Tri-Cross for sale cheap if you're interested

I think I'm local to you. Send me a PM if you're interested, or just want to chat.
Old 05-28-14, 06:02 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich Gibson
I've seen a ton of these posts in other threads and fora, but the civility in this forum leads me to ask the question here first. A search shows conversion of a hybrid to roadie is out. I almost bit on a LBS 10% discount on a Trek 2.0 but it's still almost $1300. I understand there is a considerable number of folks who "hate" Trek but the invective doesn't help make a decision. I've got 4000 miles on mine without a single complaint; to me it's a competent, acceptable brand. A review of Craigslist in the DC/Baltimore suggests there might be some good deals to try, especially since I can test ride the bikes. So far I'm considering (all are 56 cm):

- 2013 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE Road Bike - $900 (looks great..gives me goose bumps!)
- 2011 Trek 2.1 - $975
- 2012 Specialized Tarmac C2- 2012, Size 56, Black/White - $1000 (seems really aggressive..too much?)
- 2005 Specialized Allez Elite - $575 (red w white trim) Not sure of year; from photo looks like a triple

I love riding. So far I've logged 4000 miles around the DC area since last July trainer or roads/trails, no rough trails. I am not interested in racing. From discussing with various stores my requirement would be an endurance road bike as opposed to racing. My price range is between $500 and $1000 max.

Thanks in advance.

Rich
Trek is like the Ford of the bicycling world, decent line, quality products, reasonable prices.

However, by looking at individual bikes, your starting at the wrong end of your search..... First you need to decide if you need a triple, or if a double with an extra low, bottom end will do. Look at your hybrid to give you an idea. If you use the granny a lot, then you may want a triple. If you find yourself going years without granny, then a double may be sufficient. You may want to use a double with a wider range though, like a 34/53 rather then a 43/53.

Now you need to decide if you need wider tires, if your more then 200lbs the answer is yes, you also want to avoid the low spoke count wheels. Another consideration, aluminum frames can ride rough, steel has a nice ride, but can be a little heavier (adds about 2lbs to the bike weight), carbon reinforced plastic is light, but is easily damaged in a crash. One thing to add to this, AVOID used aluminum and carbon bikes.....

Are you considering loaded touring at all?

More later, I gotta go ride
Old 05-28-14, 06:43 AM

Bikes: 2018 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 404s 2014 Cervelo R5, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Wogster said it best, select the right bike over something built for someone else at perhaps a good price.

Believe one gets the best value using a LBS and getting the right bike for them. YMMV
Old 05-28-14, 07:03 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogster
One thing to add to this, AVOID used aluminum and carbon bikes.....
Why? Any documentation for this?
Old 05-28-14, 07:05 AM

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Go to the LBS and ride some different models/types of road bikes when you find the one/ones you love look for a similar used ones. I made a list of my favorite color schemes narrowed it down and road those. Ended up with two favorites and relentlessly searched craigslist till I found what I wanted.
Old 05-28-14, 07:05 AM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I'd focus on something a little different. Rather than seeking advice on particular models, I'd think about how bikes are designed and how those designs might work for your purposes. Two things I'd keep in mind are gearing and tire size.

With gearing, you probably want a bike with a compact or a triple since that will give you wider gearing.

With tire sizes, most road bikes can't handle anything bigger than a 700 x 28c and probably can't really handle anything much bigger than a 700 x 25c. Bigger tires are comfy. I'd seriously consider getting a bike that can handle a 700 x 32c.

A cross bike might work well for your needs for that reason. I set up my Soma double cross, for example, as a road bike with wide ranging gearing. I'm running 700 x 32c tires; the gearing is 48-36-26, 12-27.
Old 05-28-14, 07:42 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Don't be afraid of anything. At our age, we take better care of stuff.

You might want to give serious consideration to "endurance" and triples - more relaxed, and more choices for them hills. Higher bars will also take better care of your neck.

Age has it' s limitations, demands, and enjoyments. One of those is choice.
Old 05-28-14, 08:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of good things to consider. As for avoiding used aluminum bikes I've seen a thread here about concerns of aluminum fatigue from repeated flexing. I was a Navy carrier pilot and am well aware of the problems of metal fatigue from G loading. Our attack aircraft were aging (A4C & A7A,B,C,E Vietnam era) and we would get hairline cracks on the ailerons and elevators. The metal smiths would either patch the crack or stop drill it. I think this concern is over blown. Based on my experience I don't expect that an aluminum framed bike would crack under the use it's put to. It's just a couple of hundred dollar bike and I expect things to wear out. I just won't want to spend over $1000 on my first try at road bikes.

I'm already riding a compact, dual set already and am able to handle the hills I've encountered so far. I don't ever expect to try centuries or overnight cross country rides, no loaded touring, no rain or snow riding. I enjoy getting out and communing with nature and challenging myself. Nothing serious, no racing. A triple or dual should be fine.

I noticed that the upright riding style of my Trek hybrid puts a lot of stress on my quads and that when I rest my arms and lower myself on the bike I get more use out of my glutes. On the trainer it's easy to see how my pace drops a few RPM when I sit upright and watch TV; it's easier to keep up the pace leaning over. The idea of a lower angle on my torso and sharing the muscle load is appealing. When I started back on the road after using the trainer over the winter my lower quads were constantly sore from the load and the hills. My neck doesn't seem to be an issue. I'm riding on 35mm tires right now and definitely did not like the original 28mm 100psi tires which came on the original FX 7.6. This is why I really liked the ride of the Trek 2.1 with the seat bar isolation; it's just too much to spend right now for me.

I weigh 180# and am hoping to get to around 175# by the end of this summer. I did go to several bike shops, both highly regarded and the consensus was that an endurance was called for.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm going to a shop today which specializes in used bikes. I hope to see a range of types to try.

Gotta get out and ride before the thunderstorms hit this afternoon.

Rich
Old 05-28-14, 08:54 AM

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
[QUOTE=Wogster;16798164]

Now you need to decide if you need wider tires, if your more then 200lbs the answer is yes, you also want to avoid the low spoke count wheels.

To the OP, I weigh 220, ride 20-24 spoke count wheelset with 700-23 tires. 15,000 miles later no broken spokes, not even any loose ones. Don't worry about that one.
Old 05-28-14, 09:07 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts

- 2011 Trek 2.1 - $975

Thanks in advance.

Rich
https://www.bikeforums.net/fitting-yo...l#post15830312

Get the one that talks to you.

Old 05-28-14, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah, you gotta watch those aluminum frames. I got only 19,000 miles out of my Fuji aluminum and it... oh wait, never mind, it's still rolling fine.
Old 05-28-14, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I'm guessing the Cannondale Synapse is an endurance frame. They are available in Al or C. If you could find a used one at the shop you mentioned, I'd give it a try. Mine has been very comfortable over some reasonably long distances.
Old 05-28-14, 02:17 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyb
To the OP, I weigh 220, ride 20-24 spoke count wheelset with 700-23 tires. 15,000 miles later no broken spokes, not even any loose ones. Don't worry about that one.
My riding buddy is 250 pounds and rides a carbon Masi with 20/24 Ritchey wheels. When he first got the bike, he was having spoke nipples on the rear wheel crack open around 30 miles into a ride. He had all the OEM aluminum nipples on the rear wheel replaced with brass nipples and that solved the problem. No problems on the front wheel with the aluminum nipples.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-29-14, 05:05 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Why? Any documentation for this?
Aluminum has a life span, it can only flex so many times before it will crack and then break. It's hard to tell with a used bike if that frame has 1 mile on it or 1,000,000 miles on it, so it could be a decade from breaking or it could be 5 minutes from breaking.

Carbon, can be damaged and not show it. Carbon is short for Carbon Fibre reinforced plastic. Most failures are cascade failures, a few Carbon fibre strands are broken and it does not show, but weakens the material, every time stress is put on that area, a few more strands break, until eventually it fails completely. Some people are honest folk, and would replace a damaged frame. Other folk are not so honest, and would sell that bike and replace it. The buyer is then the one who finds out about the damage when it comes apart.

These issues are why it's recommended to avoid used AL and CF bicycles, unless you know the seller and the bicycle extremely well.
Old 05-29-14, 09:05 AM

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogster
Aluminum has a life span, it can only flex so many times before it will crack and then break. It's hard to tell with a used bike if that frame has 1 mile on it or 1,000,000 miles on it, so it could be a decade from breaking or it could be 5 minutes from breaking.

Carbon, can be damaged and not show it. Carbon is short for Carbon Fibre reinforced plastic. Most failures are cascade failures, a few Carbon fibre strands are broken and it does not show, but weakens the material, every time stress is put on that area, a few more strands break, until eventually it fails completely. Some people are honest folk, and would replace a damaged frame. Other folk are not so honest, and would sell that bike and replace it. The buyer is then the one who finds out about the damage when it comes apart.

These issues are why it's recommended to avoid used AL and CF bicycles, unless you know the seller and the bicycle extremely well.
Any numbers on incidents regarding failures? 10% 50%? .0001%?
Old 05-29-14, 12:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get the one that talks to you.
I bought the Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE 2013 model, new. List $1529 I paid $999 and also got $105 in store credit (So I can buy my SPD pedals for it).

It talked to me...it said "The eyes of Texas are upon you!" I guess it knew I was a Cowboys fan.

Thanks to all who provide positive guidance and specific recommendations.

Rich
Old 05-29-14, 01:38 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
It's not real without pictures .................... What is the difference between the13s and the14s? I see Performance has the 14s on sale, for the same price.

Last edited by Wanderer; 05-29-14 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-29-14, 01:57 PM
jyl

Bikes: 61 Bianchi Specialissima 71 Peugeot G50 7? P'geot PX10 74 Raleigh GranSport 75 P'geot UO8 78? Raleigh Team Pro 82 P'geot PSV 86 P'geot PX 91 Bridgestone MB0 92 B'stone XO1 97 Rans VRex 92 Cannondale R1000 94 B'stone MB5 97 Vitus 997

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
I can't speak to newer aluminum frames, but many Cannondales from the 80s and 90s are still going strong. The amount of flex that a bike frame gets is pretty minor - the "engine" just isn't that strong. I wouldn't worry about aluminum frames any more than I would worry about all the other aluminum components on a bike - which is just about everything, stem, handlebars, seatpost, cranks, etc.
Old 05-29-14, 04:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
It's not real without pictures .................... What is the difference between the13s and the14s? I see Performance has the 14s on sale, for the same price.
Once I pick it up I'll shoot it. I don't know the differences. They weren't offering the 2014 at this store.

Rich
Old 05-29-14, 11:58 PM

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congrats! Pics are required. Hope to see you out on the road, sir.
Old 05-30-14, 05:21 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Once I pick it up I'll shoot it.

Rich
Well, I'm against g*n violence. And what did that poor bike ever do to deserve to be put down like that? And what about eagle rights? How can they vote? Their wings would get tangled at a voting booth...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.