Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd hand you the weed whacker , my 'lawn' is mostly feral .. Morning Glories Thistles and Horse Tails ..

Oh thats right I have to Buy the weed whacker .... BYOWW.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I'm on the last few miles on the homestretch of a long, strenuous ride and the neighbor's chihuahua wants to run me down and I'm too wasted to get away.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    From another forum in BF:

Quote Originally Posted by eschlwc View Post
    I personally don't understand the closed minded, childish arrogance. why not choose cool, thoughtful, do-your-own-thing dude instead of boo hoo and bitter tweenie troll? is roadie fascism the "in thing" at spandex jr high or something?
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    Should I shave my legs? Will I go faster?
    Whether or not you should shave your legs depends upon which group of bike riders you want laughing at you. Either way, somebody's gonna.
    My greatest fear is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was.

My Bikes
    '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Especially since leg shaving is rare among benders.

I find that loose shorts cool the razor burn adjacent to my landing strip.
    The great Confucius said that he would
    rather be a profound political economist than chief of police.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Especially since leg shaving is rare among benders.

But you won't go slower; unless you nick yourself

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    2011 Look 566, '04 Cannondale Optimo 800, '87 d'Arienzo-Basso w/full Campy & '51 Rudge Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drawing from some active threads, we 60+ cyclists get no respect.

Those who stay fit and competitive are wannabe racer boys and need to grow up.

Those who are slow and chunky need to be rounded up and shipped off to the shuffleboard courts.

Those who like full carbon are pretentious materialists who likely drive Jaguars, NTTAWWT.

Those who like steel are miserable Luddites.

Carrying parallelism to an obnoxious extreme, those who ride bikes built in 19XX should have Aricept put in their water.

And the worst: chunky slow bent riders who shamelessly wear Lycra. Sigh.

Discuss.
    What about me? I fit all of these but the 'bent statement! Don't have the Jag either.
    Current Rides, Look 566 & d' Arienzo-Basso Daily Rides. Cannondale 800 Optimo, utility bike.

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Cannondale Quick 4, Terry Classic, Gary Fisher Marlin, Dahon Jetstream XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been off the bike for better than a month and rode today to get ready for a 35 miler next weekend.

I am 3 mph slower than I was in March. And 5 pounds heavier.

I usually tune up my own bikes but brought my Dahon in for a tuneup and front wheel replacement. I got shafted. The headset is too tight and the wheel was too expensive. I also had them replace the seatpost and it is too long. It goes down below the maximum insertion line. Yes, there is a maximum. Dang it. I feel like an idiot.

My Bikes
    Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread confuses and angers me. I was hoping to rant about the neighbor kid behind me who insists on riding over my lawn to get to his house rather than going around the effing block. It's only a couple hundred more yards and you're 16, dude! Isn't it enough that your stupid dog uses it as her personal toilet?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those who are slow and chunky need to be rounded up and shipped off to the shuffleboard courts.

Those who like full carbon are pretentious materialists who likely drive Jaguars, NTTAWWT.

Carrying parallelism to an obnoxious extreme, those who ride bikes built in 19XX should have Aricept put in their water.

Discuss.

A rant is not a discussion.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of wise observation there. But previous to todays MUP ride I would have thought: Who cares... we seniors dominate the casual sport cycling seen. But based only on todays observations on the MUP I would describe cycling as a "young couples sport". I doubt that more couples took up cycling together. More likely there was just fewer of us 60+ cyclist out on a Sunday afternoon. But demographics are always changing.

I wonder if "staying fit and competitive" is really possible outside of our dwindling age group. And... I am positive there is no value... in growing up.
    We are all "slow and chunky" at some point [or points] in our lives. At one time... I couldn't even tie my own shoes! But I grew up and learned how.
    If I thought buying a full carbon bike would afford me the funds for a Jaguar... I'd buy the bike tomorrow. But... I am more attracted to Comoly than fiber.
    I am not a Luddite. But the desires of my affections.... does seem to have aged with me. That's a good thing! I believe is it natural and better that I am attracted to gracefully grayed women.... instead of the hot newer models. And I still see the real beauty in the old steel too.
    I keep a couple old-steel bikes. And from time-to-time I ride one. But mostly the old girls are assigned to the duty of just looking pretty. And of jogging my memory of the days pasted... when chrome important.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by woodcraft View Post
    A rant is not a discussion.
    Exactly. Someone who gets it.

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Lycra is good on bents.......... Keeps the ability of young ladies, and some guys, to look up your shorts, to a minimum.....
    If I rode a bent, I'd wear loose shorts. I mean why deprive the world of a visually, visceral experience?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't argue with any of it.
    I'll be there in 1.1 years.
    Last edited by leob1; 06-02-14 at 10:30 AM.
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

My Bikes
    2013 Specialized Seceur Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A rant is self-sufficient. A rant need not be explained or justified. Never argue with someone who is ranting. You may ignore it or join in, or best yet distract the ranteur (this is a cycling forum and all must be French or Eye-talian) by ranting about something else.

But argue with a rant? Toujours déclassé.
    Well said, sir!!

A rant is an end in and of itself - a cathartic release - at most, perhaps a quest for solidarity and brotherhood as together we lament the state of the World as it Is...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a 60+ rider I'm just glad to be riding several nice bikes, skiing mountains close by, hiking in wonderful forests and kayaking in blue water.

You can walk on my lawn, and even let your dog take a poo. That stuff is all out of my vision. (and i'm not on mood elevating pills)
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '86 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, '87 DeRosa Professional, '99 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 60+ rider riding a TREK with aerobars smoked past my powered recumbent trike today. He consistently rode 27+ mph and peaked at 35mph for awhile. I hope to be like him when I age (just over 2 years to go).
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, guys, guys.....

You forget the most important thing, this is 50+ AND

If you have not grown up by age 50, you don't have to

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    I'd hand you the weed whacker , my 'lawn' is mostly feral .. Morning Glories Thistles and Horse Tails ..

Oh thats right I have to Buy the weed whacker .... BYOWW.
    Sounds like my lawn.... I can't pull all the weeds out of it, because there would be about 3 blades of grass left. I'd do it if the landlord is willing to pay for the top dressing and seed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was about 10, my Dad bought me a new, college issue, leather football. Across the street was an electrical substation with enough open ground on the sides for a good game of neighborhood football. When the football went over the barb wire topped fence, it was usually recovered with one of my Mom's wooden clothes line poles. Occasionally the football would roll onto the edge of a neighboring property to the north. One time, when the ball rolled onto the neighbor's property the neighbor came out of his house and stabbed my new, college issue, leather football with his knife. Repeatedly. We dispersed. Game over.

When my Dad got home, I told him what happened. And showed him the remains of my football. My Dad, a highly decorated WWII vet, paid a visit to the neighbor. My Dad came home with enough money for a new, college issue, leather football. Seriously.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.
    My Bikes
    Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reverborama View Post
    This thread confuses and angers me. I was hoping to rant about the neighbor kid behind me who insists on riding over my lawn to get to his house rather than going around the effing block. It's only a couple hundred more yards and you're 16, dude! Isn't it enough that your stupid dog uses it as her personal toilet?
    Just one word: FENCE!

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 5.2, Kona Dew, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I was passing most younger folk on the Pinellas trail for most of the winter mounted upright on my hybrid in my swim shorts and t-shirt. Now, after driving the Jag (NOT) I mean mini-van back to Wisconsin I've purchased the first lycra I've owned in 30 years, pulled out my old Tange #1 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman, and racing a Sprint Tri this Sunday. BUT, it's okay because I won't be 60 for three more weeks! (Dang, got to age group against those 55yr young ones). Anyway, my wife has said many times she has totally given up on me ever growing up.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    A 60+ rider riding a TREK with aerobars smoked past my powered recumbent trike today. He consistently rode 27+ mph and peaked at 35mph for awhile. I hope to be like him when I age (just over 2 years to go).
    How do you know how fast he was riding?

I can tell the difference if the people who pass me are going "fast" or "really fast", but I can't quantify it.
    My greatest fear is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was.

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son-in-law made a joke at our 50th Wedding Anniversary that I thought being in my 70's was a good time for the lycra look. I laughed but seriously, I don't know how to get on and off my bike performing the necessary arabesque wearing loose fitting shorts. They always get caught on the seat.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast