Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Rent or Buy?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Rent or Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-14, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rent or Buy?

Several threads where to live and what to do after retiring, or at least nominal retirement. But what about the roof over your head? The old rule that home ownership was a good investment is long gone. All the factors now seem to say it is often cheaper and more flexible to rent than own.

How about you?

Even the kids in their 50's are welcome to post. After all many are already retired or planning.
Old 06-04-14, 03:32 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
I am unwilling to give up the freedom that comes w/ owning my home free and clear, as I have for 22 years. (Instead of trading up to a larger house, my wife and I celebrated turning 42 by paying off the mortgage.) I would have trouble uprooting and moving on short (or even medium) notice, I love my community, and I like being able to work on my cars, bikes, house, and other projects without worrying about any HOA CC&R Nazis.

When my elder son was in community college, he got my late mother's 1969 Camaro, about the same time the kid next door got a 1968 Mustang. Suddenly, the two, who had never gotten along that well, were best pals, helping each other, sharing tools and expertise, etc., with the common bond of getting their cars running. The boys still bring their cars over so that we can work on them together -- we have four VW/Audi timing belt jobs and other repairs under our belts.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-04-14, 04:18 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Own a home, rent when you travel, that's our mode of operation, in my sixth year of retirement it seems to be working fine.
Old 06-04-14, 05:15 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Rent in an area that you would like to live but are not sure exactly the location. Gives you time to quickly seize on great deal.
Old 06-04-14, 07:16 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HawkOwl
Several threads where to live and what to do after retiring, or at least nominal retirement. But what about the roof over your head? The old rule that home ownership was a good investment is long gone. All the factors now seem to say it is often cheaper and more flexible to rent than own.

How about you?

Even the kids in their 50's are welcome to post. After all many are already retired or planning.
It depends on how long you plan on living there..... It costs money to go through the sell/buy cycle. Buying is better long term, because homes tend to appreciate over the long term. A house bought today, will be worth more in 25 years. If your moving to another community and are not familiar with the market there, rent initially, then decide. If you or your spouse may need additional care, within the shorter term, say 5 years, your better off renting, because it's easier to dispose of a rental. My wife is a minister, and we rent, because we can't be sure of how long she will be at a church. One of her colleges was at a church less then a year, and it cost them nearly $20,000 to go through selling one home, then buying another, then selling it again.
Old 06-05-14, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wogster
It depends on how long you plan on living there..... It costs money to go through the sell/buy cycle. Buying is better long term, because homes tend to appreciate over the long term. A house bought today, will be worth more in 25 years. If your moving to another community and are not familiar with the market there, rent initially, then decide. If you or your spouse may need additional care, within the shorter term, say 5 years, your better off renting, because it's easier to dispose of a rental. My wife is a minister, and we rent, because we can't be sure of how long she will be at a church. One of her colleges was at a church less then a year, and it cost them nearly $20,000 to go through selling one home, then buying another, then selling it again.
That is part of the quandary. Generally speaking, over the past 20 years homes have proven to not be good investments. The numbers may be bigger. But what counts is what they will buy. Just counting Official inflation a home purchased 20 years ago for $200,000 would have to be sold for over $319,000 just to break even.