Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Difficulty adapting to road bike..balance

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Difficulty adapting to road bike..balance

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-14, 08:15 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Are you sure the problem is not at least partly bike fit and setup related? If you are constantly having to look over your glasses, maybe you need your bars higher relative to your saddle.
Old 06-06-14, 09:23 PM

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Are you sure the problem is not at least partly bike fit and setup related? If you are constantly having to look over your glasses, maybe you need your bars higher relative to your saddle.
Could be setup related, but the original question was over my new road bike. All the riders I see on the trail who ride road bikes seem to cope well riding flatter and they look forward easily. My Fuji road bike was purchased with the intention of permitting riding closer to the horizontal. I already have a hybrid which offers a more vertical riding position.

Rich
Old 06-07-14, 02:19 AM

Location: In The Middle Of "Out There" / Downtown "Lost Angels"

Bikes: 2001 Trek 520 - Hvy Hauler, Epic Adventure Bike / 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0 - Sporty Quick Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plus 3
Adding my endorsement to both RT (post #14 ) and FB (post #25 ) in suggesting high riding glasses frames (top of lenses should be at brow height or even higher, depending on facial contours and how deepset the orbits are).
Be aware that pushing the nose pads closer together may let the frames ride a bit higher on the bridge of the nose, it may also tend to push the frames further away from the face. You want the tops of the lenses as close to the face as possible.