Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Giant VT, Kona Hot commuter, Fetish Fixation ss, Fetish velocita road bike, ATP recumbent set up as human powered snowmobile (2 skis)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sit bone pain curable?

I got diagnosed this week with ischial tuberosity tendonitis. Latin for pain in the butt. It's a bone spur on the end of my left sit bone. Very painful. I can barely sit at work. Yes. I know I'm too old to be riding a singlespeed around in the desert. I take full responsibility and that's undoubtebly what caused it, along with 20 years of fairly strenuous riding. Has anyone ever had this? Is it curable? I start PT next week. Just tell me I'm not doomed to ride a recumbent for life. Please... not that.... I can't take the being passed on the hill by everyone thing.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xylx
    ...Just tell me I'm not doomed to ride a recumbent for life. Please... not that.... I can't take the being passed on the hill by everyone thing.
    Neither can I. That's why I got a FAST recumbent.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man--that's tough to hear. I'm very interested in what symptons you're having. I've just recently had a "knot" appear at the same place on my right sit bone. It's deep under the skin next to the bone (as opposed to being superficial). It swells to about the size of a large marble (and is very hard) after I ride but will shrink back down in size if I'm off the bike for a few days. Needless to say riding back to back days is really painful. I will probably go have it checked out but suspect something like a bone spur.

Have you any similiar symptons or has yours mainly been a "pain in the butt".

My Bikes
    Giant VT, Kona Hot commuter, Fetish Fixation ss, Fetish velocita road bike, ATP recumbent set up as human powered snowmobile (2 skis)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you've got the same thing. Here's a good description of it.

http://www.caringmedical.com/sports_...tocks_pain.asp

I guess it's curable or moreover "treatable". I'll probably have to go to some hideous large and embarassing gel seat. Maybe I'll just resign myself to the Bent. I first noticed it sitting in an airplane for 5 hours on a trip back from the East coast. I'm bringing a foam pad on the airplane from now on.
    The injury can also cause lower back pain of which I've had a lot of lately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about doing some surgery on a saddle like a Brooks B-17? I don't have the problem you're talking about, but a riding buddy of mine does, and he got pretty fair relief by cutting a hole in his Brooks (thick leather) saddle right where the lump hits it. I have two of them, and the deluxe version (can't remember what it's called) is quite thick, stiff enough to work with a piece cut out. He marked the spot carefully and razored out a hole, then cut short radial incisions around it for a little more give. Says he can ride 2 or 2 1/2 hours pretty comfortably.

scofflaw
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I guess it's curable or moreover "treatable". I'll probably have to go to some hideous large and embarassing gel seat. Maybe I'll just resign myself to the Bent. I first noticed it sitting in an airplane for 5 hours on a trip back from the East coast. I'm bringing a foam pad on the airplane from now on.
    The injury can also cause lower back pain of which I've had a lot of lately."

went to the web site.read what it said. sounds like you'll have a pretty good outcome, with physical therapy. Sounds like you'll need to lay off the bike, for now and get some strength and conditioning.
    it's tough but it's better to not bike for now, then not bike forever, and yeah, if you had to get a
    "bent" that would be a heck of a lot better then never riding again. hope you start recovering and feeling better.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I already have a bent so it's no big deal to go ride it. It's that I hate being passed on hills. So maybe I'll have to get a faster bent. I definitely will sell off the singlespeed hardtail. Look closer at some gel saddles. I just find it weird this condition occurred when I had been riding very little all winter.

My Bikes
    Four and one experimental bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a riding companion that has a problem that has a big word like yours, I dunno if it is the same or not but he has had great relief lately by using (and he gets heaps for using it) a "womens specific design" seat. The one he got had a hole in the centre, is wider and shorter than the men's ones.I only hope this is of help.

Tailwinds
    Cycler

My Bikes
    walmart beater, Dahon boardwalk, A bike, schwinn tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up with coccydynia (also pain in the butt, however tailbone focus...), and a wide seat does not have to be gel or cushy to prevent the pain from returning. I do not know if the sitbone problem will be the same, but I wish you luck.

I do not know if I could face "don't bike"... I know I did not go to the doctor about my tailbone 'cause I did not want to hear it...

(tailbone is all better now that I have wide seat on both my bikes.)
    And I am sure there are other choices I haven't thought of, yet...

My Bikes
    Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you not have it cut out?

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made my visit to the doc today and I have a "growth" about the size of a golf ball on my right cheek right where I sit on the saddle. I just noticed it a couple months ago and it seems to be getting bigger. After riding, it seems to double in size and get very hard. Needless to say riding back to back days is rather painful!!

The doc wants to do some tests to figure out what the darn thing is so I'm scheduled for a MRI on Thursday. He suspects it is just some sort of cyst but wants to rule out anything more serious. Talking about a pain in the butt!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi

Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    I made my visit to the doc today and I have a "growth" about the size of a golf ball on my right cheek right where I sit on the saddle. I just noticed it a couple months ago and it seems to be getting bigger. After riding, it seems to double in size and get very hard. Needless to say riding back to back days is rather painful!!

The doc wants to do some tests to figure out what the darn thing is so I'm scheduled for a MRI on Thursday. He suspects it is just some sort of cyst but wants to rule out anything more serious. Talking about a pain in the butt!!!!
    hi jppe
    can you please tell me how did your experience go?i seem to have the same problem with that little growth just where i sit
    what was the diagnosis,did they give you anything?
    tnx

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think bursitis might be one probably cause. That is, an inflammation of the sac that surrounds the end of the bone. I had it late last year after a tour of Vancouver Island and breaking in a new Brooks saddle. It seemed to manifest itself (apart from the discomfort) with a swelling well under the skin.

It took a while to subside, but I did continue riding throughout. Maybe taking some anti-inflammatory medications might help, and to stay off the bike for a couple of weeks.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there,

I'm not a cyclist but a horse of mine was in a trailering accident and now has a large bone spur on his Ishium. I'm trying to understand how the bone spur might inhibit his performance.

Of course horses don't sit so that wont be a problem - but does your bone spur inhibit your motion or push when running or walking? Is it stiff at all? Does it hurt? What about hiking? Walking up stairs? Or is it fine aside from sitting?

Thanks for your time - I appreciate the help

I don't cycle but I spin! Must be fun outside! Have fun

-Missy

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xylx View Post
    Just tell me I'm not doomed to ride a recumbent for life.
    "Doomed" isn't a word that I would use. I've found recumbents to be kind of like grand children. If I'd known how much fun they were going to be, I'd have started with them first.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    "Doomed" isn't a word that I would use. I've found recumbents to be kind of like grand children. If I'd known how much fun they were going to be, I'd have started with them first.
    This.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully (for you) it is curable by means short of amputation because that would leave you half-as*ed.

A little humor there, come on........

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ??? You are talking rear end of the ischail tuberosity, the meeting point for hamstring and other muscles? I've often thought inflaming that area is the risk you take if you ride a wide saddle (including a Brooks b17) in an upright position. Seems to me a more rotated position on a "race" profile saddle distributes the weight/shock over the middle of tuberosities, taking advantage of the triangle shape. I'm not playing internet doctor, but I'm a big guy and if I was riding a full size saddle, upright, all the time I know would suffer all sorts of butt complaints.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Orthopedic surgery discussions in text, here, are even harder to resolve here than 'what is that noise coming from', ones

With even less chance of a qualified answer.
    Last edited by CbadRider; 12-02-12 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Deleted comment meant for P&R.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Doomed to riding a recumbent"?? There are things in life far worse than riding a bent. I got my first bent 7 years ago, and after riding it about 25 miles, I kicked myself for not getting one years before.

We get too soon old and too late smart. One smart thing that I learned riding a bent is pain is for the ignorant.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mwesslund View Post
    Hey there,

I'm not a cyclist but a horse of mine was in a trailering accident and now has a large bone spur on his Ishium. I'm trying to understand how the bone spur might inhibit his performance.

Of course horses don't sit so that wont be a problem - but does your bone spur inhibit your motion or push when running or walking? Is it stiff at all? Does it hurt? What about hiking? Walking up stairs? Or is it fine aside from sitting?

Thanks for your time - I appreciate the help

I don't cycle but I spin! Must be fun outside! Have fun

-Missy
    Sorry about your horse but...............apples and oranges.
    A horse-related discussion forum or site might yield some helpful and relevant info.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Trek Allant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That horse will never ride a racing bike again. Probably be ok at stud, though.

My Bikes
    Look 585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD77 View Post
    Hopefully (for you) it is curable by means short of amputation because that would leave you half-as*ed.

A little humor there, come on........
    You can also say "half-fast" as in not fast and not slow -- it comes out the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its really not apples and oranges. A bone spur on an Ishium is a bone spur on an Ishium. Whether its a human or an animal. I was just asking for some feedback from those who've experienced the injury. Its a rare case for a horse so horse forums aren't helpful. I guess bike forums aren't either.

Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    Sorry about your horse but...............apples and oranges.
    A horse-related discussion forum or site might yield some helpful and relevant info.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mwesslund View Post
    Its really not apples and oranges. A bone spur on an Ishium is a bone spur on an Ishium. Whether its a human or an animal. I was just asking for some feedback from those who've experienced the injury. Its a rare case for a horse so horse forums aren't helpful. I guess bike forums aren't either.
    Missy, they have discussions on this topic on both the road cycling forum and the nutrition and training forum. The one on the road forum is pretty good.

If you have a question on colonoscopy, we'll be happy to help out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast