Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Wish us Luck

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Wish us Luck

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-14, 05:38 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Wish us Luck

Headed back out to Colorado to do Ride the Rockies for my 5th year in a row. More excited than a kid at Christmas. My bike is already there. Decided to ship it at the last minute after I looked at airline baggage fees-----another good reason for N++++.

I fly to Denver Saturday morning and arrive in Boulder around 3. Set up my tent, put my bike together and take a few minutes to get acclimated to the elevation!!

Last year's route was very flat for RtR. Not this year. First day is 89 miles with 9000 ft of climbing including Berthoud Pass. Second day is only 95 miles!!!

Note to self: Stay Away from the Beer Garden!!!

I suspect Buelito will be there. Should be a terrific week as always.

Here is the route.

Route | Ride The Rockies
Old 06-04-14, 05:42 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,984 Times in 568 Posts
Nice! Someday, I gotta do that one.

" ...take a few minutes to get acclimated to the elevation ..."

Old 06-04-14, 05:46 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Enjoy and keep us informed!
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 06-04-14, 06:15 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5777 Post(s)
Liked 2,575 Times in 1,426 Posts
Have a great ride.

Tear up and discard that note to yourself. But exercise some token moderation. (think of it as Carbo Loading).

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-05-14, 03:36 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Hoping you have a great ride!

I have elk hunted at 10,000ft and did NOT like it. At all.
Old 06-05-14, 03:37 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Hoping you have a great ride!

I have elk hunted at 10,000ft and did NOT like it. At all.
Old 06-05-14, 03:56 AM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Decided to ship it at the last minute after I looked at airline baggage fees-----
I just happen to have a little tip about beating those baggage fees in another thread I just posted (mostly an excuse to imbed a couple of my YouTube videos).

https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...-survival.html

Excerpted:

Pack your bike in a hockey bag to avoid the airline
surcharges.Just remove fork and crank, wrap it well
and you're good to go. Don't forget to tell the
girl at the check in counter it's 'stuff for a trade show'.

--------------------------
And good luck, have fun and ride safe every chance you get
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
alan bikebag.jpg (100.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 06-05-14, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Zinger
I just happen to have a little tip about beating those baggage fees in another thread I just posted (mostly an excuse to imbed a couple of my YouTube videos).

Excerpted:

And if she is blonde.....
Old 06-05-14, 05:20 AM

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ooh, I wanna go! Can I? Please??

No?

Have some fun for me too then!
Old 06-05-14, 07:40 AM

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Don't forget sunburn happens faster at higher altitudes. Not because your closer to the sun, but because there is less IR absorbing atmosphere between you and the sun. Much less, since the air is also thinner up there.
Old 06-06-14, 08:31 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger

Excerpted:

The airline that we frequently fly with, bikes cost $50 and count as a baggage item, so if you already have a suitcase, add another $35. Their claim is that the additional $50 is for the "special handling". I have a soft sided bike bag that is clearly oversized, yet to my surprise and horror on one flight my bike came out the baggage carousel! Not exactly "special handling". The airline refunded the $50 after I complained.

BUT, the interesting thing I learned was that golf bags have no surcharge, and hockey bags have no surcharge. Have you seen the SIZE of some of those hockey bags? On another flight, the check-in person asked if it was hockey equipment. "Uh ....", I hesitated and then said, "that's why there's a picture of a bicycle on the side?". To add insult to injury, with this particular airline, even a surfboard can travel as luggage with no extra fee for special handling. But bicycles ... yes ... that'll be $50 please.

JPPE, can hardly imagine trying to ride a bike at 12,000 feet. I'd be wheezing, and likely lying on an ambulance stretcher. Have a great ride!
Old 06-06-14, 08:54 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Good luck, enjoy the ride!

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 06-06-14, 09:00 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Just had a closer look at your route:

Old 06-06-14, 11:35 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by h2oxtc
The airline that we frequently fly with, bikes cost $50 and count as a baggage item, so if you already have a suitcase, add another $35. Their claim is that the additional $50 is for the "special handling". I have a soft sided bike bag that is clearly oversized, yet to my surprise and horror on one flight my bike came out the baggage carousel! Not exactly "special handling". The airline refunded the $50 after I complained.

BUT, the interesting thing I learned was that golf bags have no surcharge, and hockey bags have no surcharge. Have you seen the SIZE of some of those hockey bags? On another flight, the check-in person asked if it was hockey equipment. "Uh ....", I hesitated and then said, "that's why there's a picture of a bicycle on the side?". To add insult to injury, with this particular airline, even a surfboard can travel as luggage with no extra fee for special handling. But bicycles ... yes ... that'll be $50 please.

JPPE, can hardly imagine trying to ride a bike at 12,000 feet. I'd be wheezing, and likely lying on an ambulance stretcher. Have a great ride!
I have a hard shell bike case and a hard shell golf case that I fly with. I've noticed too that the golf case pricing is nothing compared to the bike and it weighs more!!! One trip I was solo and had my bike, golf clubs, large suitcase and a laptop bag. Getting all that stuff through the airport to the rental car agency was like the Clampett's had come to town! The rental car clerk gave me a free upgrade to a van!
Old 06-06-14, 11:39 AM
Let's do a Century

The last few days I've done everything contrary to what you're supposed to do for an event like this.

Work has been a pill and I haven't sleep enough and the additional stress is affecting my riding ability. You are supposed to go into these pretty rested! I've lost about 4 pounds over the last week and am not eating enough-that will haunt me on either day 2 or 3....... Yesterday I went out with my local group for one of week night rides in 90+ temps with high humidity and now dehydrated even much more than normal. I'm taking electrolyte tablets and chugging fluids......This could get really ugly!!
Old 06-06-14, 11:43 AM
Seat Sniffer

Egad. That sounds all too familiar. :-(

Chugging fluids and electrolytes is a good idea at this point ... easy to get dehydrated at altitude. And as long as you eat well the day before the ride and fill up your glycogen stores ... you should be fine.

Old 06-06-14, 02:27 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Originally Posted by h2oxtc

Yeah a Hockey bag would have to go in the luggage compartment alright but one thing I've always done since driving a shuttle van for a rentacar outfit in my early 20s.......I never check my personal luggage. I always carry at least one carry on (even 2 sometimes if permitted). Because every day when I was doing that I heard from people whose luggage was misdirected across the country somewhere on the wrong flight.

I have, however shipped 2 heavy tool boxes of machinists tools through baggage handling, as my personal luggage before. When the handler weighed them and said they were over weight I just slipped him a $20 and everything was good to go.

Last edited by Zinger; 06-06-14 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-06-14, 02:33 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Originally Posted by jppe
The last few days I've done everything contrary to what you're supposed to do for an event like this.

Work has been a pill and I haven't sleep enough and the additional stress is affecting my riding ability. You are supposed to go into these pretty rested! I've lost about 4 pounds over the last week and am not eating enough-that will haunt me on either day 2 or 3....... Yesterday I went out with my local group for one of week night rides in 90+ temps with high humidity and now dehydrated even much more than normal. I'm taking electrolyte tablets and chugging fluids......This could get really ugly!!
Yeah get plenty of sleep guy. Working 2nd shift is why I don't do more than one century a season nowadays. (That and not enough mileage). Alan McCormack also says to stay dry and stay rested, lol.

Good luck and have fun with it every chance you get.
Old 06-06-14, 08:42 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Post photos por favor,Good luck.
Old 06-06-14, 10:12 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Good luck

I've done the Granby to Steamboat route - an 8 mile steep downhill into Steamboat from the pass (I believe this was about 90 miles or thereabouts), most of the Steamboat to Avon and sections of other portions of the route.

We have had a very wet winter and spring. It should be beautiful, but likely some snow around. Trail Ridge Road is plowed, but very high snowbanks.

Me at the top of Rabbit Ears Pass (Yes, that's a mtn bike)

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-06-14 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-07-14, 08:04 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Have a great time! Day 3 and the last 2/3 of day 6 look like fun. I'll be on BRAG with a much easier route as we start in the rolling hills of Washington, GA and head toward the pancake flat coast at Darien, GA. Looks like party time.

As for the beer gardens, all things in moderation (including moderate amounts of wretched excess).
Old 06-08-14, 10:03 PM
Seat Sniffer

Uh oh ...

Ride the Rockies riders stranded by snow - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com

Old 06-08-14, 10:18 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5777 Post(s)
Liked 2,575 Times in 1,426 Posts
Maybe we should have said "break a leg".

At least they'll have great stories.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-08-14, 10:43 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Maybe we should have said "break a leg".

At least they'll have great stories.
Supposed to be 30F in Granby tonight. Those camping out - hope they have good sleeping bags.

This happened to my wife and myself in 1999 on Lizardhead Pass headed into Telluride. Lots of bicyclers bussed, a couple of significant injuries. Floridians don't have a clue what to expect.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-09-14 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-09-14, 12:28 AM
Trek 500 Kid

Well they'll certainly need some luck now. I hope they are prepared in clothes for this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.