Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Big Jim and the twins (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/952328-big-jim-twins.html)

SpiderDad 06-06-14 03:00 PM

Big Jim and the twins

I'm looking for a prostate friendly saddle. I bought a new bike a month or so ago, and have been doing a lot (for me) of riding. It has a Pro Logo saddle and I'm finding that not only am I getting chafing, but something else is going on..... Put it this way... the amount of fluid coming out of me isn't the same as it was before I got this bike. Didn't have these issues on my previous bike. Yes I'm getting older, and yes this issue has been creeping up on me for a few years.... and yes, I've been to the doctor (albeit, not since I bought this bike). The only thing that has changed, to cause such a big decrease in precipitation, is my new bike and saddle.

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance.

S

aubiecat 06-06-14 04:07 PM

I was getting the numb perineum with the stock seat on my new road bike. The Selle Italia SL Kit Carbonio Flow SE solved my problem.

SpiderDad 06-06-14 04:39 PM

I'll check that out... thanks!

Biker395 06-06-14 05:44 PM

I don't have a good answer (FWIW, I use a Terry Fly), but just wanted to say I thought the "Big Jim and the Boys" title to be brilliant. :thumb:

Just one thing ... if you sign with "S" ... who's Big Jim?

Oh ... uh ... never mind. lol

Dan Burkhart 06-06-14 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Biker395 (Post 16828483)
I don't have a good answer (FWIW, I use a Terry Fly), but just wanted to say I thought the "Big Jim and the Boys" title to be brilliant. :thumb:

Just one thing ... if you sign with "S" ... who's Big Jim?

Oh ... uh ... never mind. lol

Not who, what. :lol:

Null66 06-06-14 09:50 PM

Sorry you experienced it, good you're taking it seriously.

I've got a Serfas RX. It has a nose, but is split. Each half moves a bit as their linked a bit.

Works wonders for me.

I'm not fast so I spend a lot of time on the saddle.

Had it 3 years now.

Before it I had it's great, great, great, grandpa from the early nineties (crash damage tore the cover and gave up the ghost years after initial tear. Was concerned I wouldn't find one like the old one, this ones even better.

rydabent 06-06-14 10:28 PM

Big Jim and the twins ride comfortably on a recumbent, or a trike.

Northwestrider 06-06-14 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by rydabent (Post 16829030)
Big Jim and the twins ride comfortably on a recumbent, or a trike.

+1 on the bent idea. If a bent is not in the cards, I must say I'm happy with my B 17 . A saddle I have not tried but have heard only good is the Selle SMP. A few days ago, I rode with a fellow that loves his nose less saddle ( he did say it took some time to get used to it ). In any case , I wouldn't exclude a quality bent .

pvillemasher 06-07-14 05:08 AM

I went through a number of saddles over the years, none of them particularly comfortable. I just thought the discomfort was part of riding. The saddles were name brand and not cheap, btw.
I went to my LBS and got my sit bones measured, ended up with a Specialized Phenom and for the first time in many years I get off the bike after a 50+ mile ride and I have little/no discomfort. I suggest getting measured.

vschippy 06-07-14 05:31 AM

+1 on the Phenom

rydabent 06-07-14 06:45 AM

Does this bicycle seat make my butt look big? :)

RonH 06-07-14 11:00 AM

I've been thru a "large" collection of saddles from Terry (men's), 3 different Specialized, and a few Selle Italia. Some were comfortable for a while but in the end (no pun intended) they didn't feel right. My latest is a Selle Anatomica X series. It was recommended by a few BF folks who are close to my age. Its much different from other saddles I've tried. Haven't had an uncomfortable ride yet. :thumb:

Bikey Mikey 06-07-14 11:48 AM

The stock saddle was just a pain in the a#%, literally. My LBS loaned me a couple of saddles and I now ride the Specialized Avatar Gel--works well for me.

SpiderDad 06-07-14 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by pvillemasher (Post 16829330)
I went through a number of saddles over the years, none of them particularly comfortable. I just thought the discomfort was part of riding. The saddles were name brand and not cheap, btw.
I went to my LBS and got my sit bones measured, ended up with a Specialized Phenom and for the first time in many years I get off the bike after a 50+ mile ride and I have little/no discomfort. I suggest getting measured.

Great idea.

SpiderDad 06-07-14 11:59 AM

Thanks for all the great feedback (including Biker395 who appreciates my sense of humour:) ). I'll try and find a store that will allow me to try out, or return these saddles if it's not comfortable.

If bent is another name for a recumbent, then that's not an option for me. Don't mean to offend those that love them, but they don't look safe to me. I commute to work every day and I want to see the idiots who are trying to kill me. I much prefer the higher viewing position.

crazyb 06-07-14 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by SpiderDad (Post 16829945)
Thanks for all the great feedback (including Biker395 who appreciates my sense of humour:) ). I'll try and find a store that will allow me to try out, or return these saddles if it's not comfortable.

If bent is another name for a recumbent, then that's not an option for me. Don't mean to offend those that love them, but they don't look safe to me. I commute to work every day and I want to see the idiots who are trying to kill me. I much prefer the higher viewing position.

:popcorn

JanMM 06-07-14 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by SpiderDad (Post 16829945)

Very dangerous with a capital "P". They are all prone to spontaneous explosions.
I don't ride to work every day, but, since 2006, when I do ride to work, I ride a recumbent bike.
Stay thirsty, my friend.

SpiderDad 06-07-14 11:04 PM

I didn't mean the bike is dangerous, I meant that with their low profile, they are harder for motorists to see in an urban situation. I live in a large city. Lots of parked cars... lots of cars coming from side streets. I have found that putting a light on the top of my helmet, along with the lights that are on my handlebars, makes me more visible..... and safer.

I would rather drive my F150 than my wife's Subaru for the exact same reason. I can see more when I drive my truck due to the higher profile.

No slight was intended with my comments.

rck 06-09-14 10:03 AM

Hey, I drive a Subaru!:50:

TromboneAl 06-09-14 10:52 AM

Have you tried adjusting the tilt of the saddle? I tilted my Specialized Alias down more than most people would recommend:

http://i.imgur.com/fhjIbgF.jpg

This is how it is today:

http://i.imgur.com/hNe0dxs.jpg

Note that there is no tendency to slide forward of have more pressure on my hands.

It was much more uncomfortable for my sit bones, but it relieved all occasional "slow start" problems. In fact, this year those problems are completely gone. I often have a few minutes of sit-bone discomfort when starting a ride, but this goes away.

Mvcrash 06-09-14 11:02 AM

You gave new meaning to the word "Twins." I used to think my wife had the twins......Now I'm lost forever. Good luck on the seat issue.

02Giant 06-09-14 12:14 PM

Initial thought, Big Jim and the Twins was similar to Big Head Todd and the Monsters...

SpiderDad 06-09-14 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by TromboneAl (Post 16834997)
Have you tried adjusting the tilt of the saddle? I tilted my Specialized Alias down more than most people would recommend:

http://i.imgur.com/fhjIbgF.jpg

This is how it is today:

http://i.imgur.com/hNe0dxs.jpg

Note that there is no tendency to slide forward of have more pressure on my hands.

It was much more uncomfortable for my sit bones, but it relieved all occasional "slow start" problems. In fact, this year those problems are completely gone. I often have a few minutes of sit-bone discomfort when starting a ride, but this goes away.

I'm not sure if that will work for me...I already feel like I'm sliding forward off the saddle and supporting my upper body with my arms.... :(

jschlarb 06-09-14 03:36 PM

Here's one vote for the Brooks B17 saddle. I had a Specialized Avatar with the split gel seat before that, and I find the Brooks to be much more comfortable - and it's not even "broken in" yet. However my problem was always my backside, since my "Big Jim" is more of a "little Jimmy". I'm putting all of my weight on 2 bones, not 3 like some of you horses. :rolleyes:

OldsCOOL 06-09-14 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by rydabent (Post 16829424)
Does this bicycle seat make my butt look big? :)

Only if it's on a trike.