Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Riding with the wind?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Riding with the wind?

Old 06-09-14, 07:52 PM

Bikes: 2017 Giant Cypress 24-speed & 2017 Giant Escape 21-speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Riding with the wind?

Does anybody else do it?

I ride for only two reasons: enjoyment and to stay healthy. Take away one or the other reason, and I’d probably be a slug, content to spend all my time behind my computer the way I did for a lot of years before serious health issues forced me to exercise and I chose biking over the numerous other less appealing options.

But I’m 75, and the daily rides can sometimes be awfully strenuous if I’m riding into heavy winds (and 2014 has been a very windy year so far). Since bucking a strong headwind reduces the fun of riding for me, I’ve had a tendency this spring to wimp out and plan most of my routes with the wind behind me all the way.

Fortunately, I’ve got a very cooperative wife who is happy to drop me off at my starting point and pick me up at the end of my run. The bike trails in my area provide enough variety that I can ride any distance up to about 25 miles with the wind at my back. By bucking the wind for relatively short distances, I can still enjoy even longer rides if I choose to do so.

Yesterday, I planned a relatively easy 20-mile evening ride that would end about two miles from my home, but when the wind got stronger and changed directions so that I was riding directly into it, I opted to phone my wife for an earlier pick-up at 15 miles. I might be lazy, but I’m also flexible!
Old 06-09-14, 08:07 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T-2000 & SP-1000 (Silk Path hybrid)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations on being 50+ for a quarter-century. That looks like a big ole comfy ride-me bike. Does the riding position preclude installing drop bars?

My experience is that wind is not generally consistent. It'll be a headwind for a while, then a quartering-headwind, and, just when you get within a mile of your house, a glorious tailwind.

Arghh! I've been there when the wind feels like hitting a wall in the sky. There's nothing else to do except minimize your frontal area and bear it -or- take the next turnoff where the wind's more favorable and see where it leads. (Valet service comes in handy for wandering, too. By the way, she's probably not all that cooperative. She's just tolerant.)
Old 06-09-14, 08:14 PM

Bikes: better than I deserve

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No matter which direction I go, I seem to break wind when I ride.
Old 06-09-14, 08:19 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by climberguy
Keeps people off your wheel.
Old 06-09-14, 08:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If riding in the wind makes you more tired, take more breaks or longer breaks each time. There is no shame in taking more breaks. If your goal for the day is 20 miles, for example, do what you need to do to accomplish that before you phone your wife to pick you up. At the same time though, don't push yourself too hard since you're 75 (and still kicking ass). I don't know your current medical history but there are some where it may put you in the danger zone if you push yourself too hard.
Old 06-09-14, 08:26 PM
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always thought the first rule of riding is to ride into the wind first... SO you 'could' take your time riding into the wind with the needed rest stops then have a fun ride home. Of course the key is take your time....or maybe the key is have fun and that is why you do what you do.
Old 06-09-14, 08:41 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
What a nice wife!

More often than not, when I am riding my wife is sitting on the back of our tandem and is not available to pick me up. Although she does help power me into the wind as needed.
Old 06-09-14, 08:45 PM
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Floyd
I always thought the first rule of riding is to ride into the wind first...
I did this last week. First went to a friend's house, then continued to a restaurant for dinner with him and my wife. It was only about 5 miles but the wind was horrific. My wife asked if I wanted to ride home in her SUV and I was all "Now way! I EARNED the ride back!" And it was great.

There are a million reasons you're riding slow and struggling, but there's only one when you feel good and go fast: it's a tailwind.
Old 06-09-14, 09:05 PM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I think I'd just get spoiled.
I ride when it's hot or cold and wish it was nicer. But you know, if it was 72 degrees year round, then one day it was 73 degrees, we'd all complain about the heat. If we had strong tailwinds year round, then one day, it was just a weak tailwind, we'd complain about that. So I think really, you have to take the bad with the good, or you wouldn't appreciate the good after a while.
Old 06-09-14, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've done quite a number of short (few days to a week) tours along the Pacific coast and they've almost all been north to south with another mode of transportation back (or at least riding inland before heading back north). The wind on the coast is quite consistent and can be formidable.
Old 06-09-14, 09:35 PM

Bikes: Trek 1220 - Araya R200 - Specialized StumpJumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually just ride into the wind first, so I can coast home, but of course yesterday the wind shifted at lunch time, and I had it in my face all day.
The way it goes some days.

I just try to stay patient and keep speed and rests within my abilities, and not get impatient about getting there too quickly.
Old 06-09-14, 09:55 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
Originally Posted by RVwriter
..... I’ve had a tendency this spring to wimp out and plan most of my routes with the wind behind me all the way.

Fortunately, I’ve got a very cooperative wife who is happy!
More power to you if you can arrange this. Nothing wrong with it and it's not any different that the mtn bikers who use ski lifts and ride down, or those who use various means to get high on mtn slopes and ride 20-50 miles back down.

BTW- I'd say your wife's a real keeper, but I figure you've known that for decades.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-09-14, 10:31 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 305 Posts
Pack and drink water. The wind dehydrates. The panhandle of Texas has nasty headwinds, whose gusts will try to stop you in your tracks at their worst....TG I was in my 20s and 30s pushing those.
Old 06-10-14, 06:16 AM

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10 5 105 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One Wednesday back in early April I had my wife drop me off 15 or 20 miles from home and rode home with the wind. We had three or 4 straight days of east wind anywhere from 15 to 30mph............got tired of it after Monday and Tuesday and rode home with the wind that Wednesday afternoon. Does wonders for your average speed for that day!! Normally though I will ride into the wind going out and with it coming home. Lately have been taking off about 6:00 AM before the wind gets a chance to really start.
Old 06-10-14, 06:27 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I love a good headwind! Oh, it's lots of extra work and it slows me down, neither of which make for a good ride; but OTOH, it slows everyone else down even more and it makes me look like SUPERMAN!!! Getting a more aero ride makes a big difference in your attitude about winds, I guess.
Old 06-10-14, 06:27 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
My wife rides with me or I would definitely take advantage of such an opportunity. I fondly remember some long, high speed downwinders on a windsurfer many years ago. My son and I coordinated them by pre-positioning a return vehicle at a convenient downwind beach.
Old 06-10-14, 06:43 AM
Rolling along

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RVwriter
Does anybody else do it?

I ride for only two reasons: enjoyment and to stay healthy. Take away one or the other reason, and I’d probably be a slug, content to spend all my time behind my computer the way I did for a lot of years before serious health issues forced me to exercise and I chose biking over the numerous other less appealing options.

But I’m 75, and the daily rides can sometimes be awfully strenuous if I’m riding into heavy winds (and 2014 has been a very windy year so far). Since bucking a strong headwind reduces the fun of riding for me, I’ve had a tendency this spring to wimp out and plan most of my routes with the wind behind me all the way.

Fortunately, I’ve got a very cooperative wife who is happy to drop me off at my starting point and pick me up at the end of my run. The bike trails in my area provide enough variety that I can ride any distance up to about 25 miles with the wind at my back. By bucking the wind for relatively short distances, I can still enjoy even longer rides if I choose to do so.

Yesterday, I planned a relatively easy 20-mile evening ride that would end about two miles from my home, but when the wind got stronger and changed directions so that I was riding directly into it, I opted to phone my wife for an earlier pick-up at 15 miles. I might be lazy, but I’m also flexible!
Thinking an electric assist might be a good way for you to go, unless of course the wind never shift's on you, getting the exercise is important, having a mental image of always riding into the wind isn't going to help getting exercise, just a suggestion.
I always plan my rides according to the wind, seems one out of every one hundred the wind is at my back the whole way
Old 06-10-14, 06:56 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Light breezes are the ones that get to me.

More than once I've started an out and back ride thinking I was in better condition than I'd thought. WRONG! Turned around and fought head winds all the way back to my car. I hate seeing single digits on my speedometer when I'm
on a flat road.
Old 06-10-14, 07:20 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
In our area you never know what the wind will do. I live in a very hilly region with lakes and nearby Lake Michigan which has wind swirling around from any direction. To escape this dynamic I have to get out on the open road or putter through neighborhoods in town.

Wind is just something you learn to deal with. I have the realWind app that gives me instant and reliable data for planning.

A strong headwind is great for training. Where else can you stuff 30 miles into a 20 mile ride?
Old 06-10-14, 07:32 AM

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT, Rans Stratus, Cannondale R500, trek 720 multitrack, Rockhopper

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
I usually start the ride into wind if possible, the key for me is to cover up my bike computer and just take what ever speed I can get with my usual effort. Yep I am 70 years old and still not very bright so I have to trick myself.
Old 06-10-14, 07:35 AM

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
More power to you if you can arrange this. Nothing wrong with it and it's not any different that the mtn bikers who use ski lifts and ride down, or those who use various means to get high on mtn slopes and ride 20-50 miles back down.

BTW- I'd say your wife's a real keeper, but I figure you've known that for decades.
+1

Keep riding in any direction you want
Old 06-10-14, 07:40 AM

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 2,602 Times in 930 Posts
I can't do that. But when the wind is right I will plan a ride so I get a good run with the wind along the MUP.
Old 06-10-14, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
IMO, the worst wind is one going the same direction at the same speed as I'm climbing on a hot day. It seems to happen more regularly than I'd expect based on chance alone, likely due to local heating by the sun causing the air to move up hill on an otherwise calm or low wind day.
Old 06-10-14, 08:03 AM

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by climberguy
JATO (Jet Assisted Take Off)
Old 06-10-14, 08:05 AM

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
On my road bike I drop down to the drops, on my commuter I stretch out onto the aero bar. It makes a huge difference for me. I have also called the wife a couple of times, but am careful not to use the term "SAG" or "SAG-wagon".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.