rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slorollin View Post
    I love the comments! It shows the great variance that exists in this "yeast" of life. It is fun to read the moronic ramblings of yeasts other than myself.
    OK I'll grant that comments on news articles may be worth reading for some reasons, but I'll still maintain that they aren't worthy of consternation and that they are not informative of general opinion.

rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post
    Cagers? Is that some southern term used to describe some race... or group... of people in some discriminating way? Do you belong to the KKK or LAW or some other group well know for there anti-American activities?

However.... it does sound as if those cager-people may be "after" you. Maybe you should avoid cycling altogether.
    Odds are that the one which drove by closely, hitting him with an open door and then sped off flipping the bird was "after" him.

"Cager" is a pejorative for people who drive cars, though generally reserved for unsafe or aggressive drivers. It's all over the A&S forum and elsewhere, so let's not bash him just using the word.

Some may be more inclined to take offense to the stereotyping of Southerners as racist or discriminatory. If so I hope that they don't react slinging yet more stereotypical opprobrium in your direction - that would seem like a spiral to the bottom.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've called car drivers "cagers" for years because they drive around in a metal cage. Personally, my best advice would be to move slightly north to Tennessee.

My Bikes
    '86 Raleigh marathon, '09 Fuji newest 4.0, 2001 Cannondale R600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride defensively, obey the rules of the road, keep your health and life insurance paid up...wha do you wanna live forever?

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986raleigh View Post
    Ride defensively, obey the rules of the road, keep your health and life insurance paid up...wha do you wanna live forever?
    Damn, I love rockabilly. Thanks for the reminder.

Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, I'm NOT paranoid if THEY are really after me...
    "Well once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix..." ~the TICK!
    OCP Member #119 - Chief of the Goat Locker Division

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    Damn, I love rockabilly. Thanks for the reminder.
    Gotta love them Stray Cats.....

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RamahX View Post
    well, I'm NOT paranoid if THEY are really after me...
    I had a mid thirties guy stop and back up a couple hundred feet to front me up, threatened to kick my butt... blah blah, when I took of my helmet, he saw my grey hair, I told him he'd be fighting a dude who had just turned fifty one and was at the end of a fifty five mile ride it took the wind outta his sails...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    I've called car drivers "cagers" for years because they drive around in a metal cage. Personally, my best advice would be to move slightly north to Tennessee.
    Actually I have always live north of TN. I just really object to pejoratives. Like swearing.... they generally indicate low intelligence, lack of education, or verbal laziness (or worse). But present yourself.... as you wish.

My Bikes
    Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave, you are SUCH the English Professor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cagers? Is that some southern term used to describe some race... or group... of people in some discriminating way? Do you belong to the KKK or LAW or some other group well know for there anti-American activities?

However.... it does sound as if those cager-people may be "after" you. Maybe you should avoid cycling altogether.
    Cagers=People caged in automobiles who hate people on 2 wheels.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I have always live north of TN. I just really object to pejoratives. Like swearing.... they generally indicate low intelligence, lack of education, or verbal laziness (or worse). But present yourself.... as you wish.
    For good or bad, the term has been in common use at least since the early days of listservs. You know, right after Al Gore invented the Internet and it was still mostly text-based.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For good or bad, the term has been in common use at least since the early days of listservs. You know, right after Al Gore invented the Internet and it was still mostly text-based.
    No.... you are mistaken. Pejoratives, swearing, derogatory speech has been around as long as language has. It is NOT the fault of the Internet or other modern events. Charting the history of just one pejorative is somewhat dishonest.

If we see more such immature behavior on the Internet than in public.... it's likely because we can't see the youthful age of the posters while on-line.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RamahX View Post
    Dave, you are SUCH the English Professor
    Yeah right. My use of the language... and my spelling is crapola and I know it. But just because we cyclist are athletes... doesn't mean we have to behave like dumb athletes. We can at least aspire to be.... decent people.

My Bikes
    Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah right. My use of the language... and my spelling is crapola and I know it. But just because we cyclist are athletes... doesn't mean we have to behave like dumb athletes. We can at least aspire to be.... decent people.
    Athlete... me? ...no, I don't think so...

Not an Athlete, I'm a Chief Petty Officer in the United States Coast Guard (ret) and not.one.single.junior.officer will tell you we are decent people

My Bikes
    Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as me being an athlete, as their Chief the men and women who worked for me in the CG got me into road cycling...

-then, when I retired, they gave me a plaque engraved:

"I Must Hasten to Catch Them...
    For I am Their Leader..."

To get back on track - being somber and all - I ride now, again, because they as well as many, many others in the cycling community reached out to me and gave me advice and leadership. It's a culture, prolly a little counter culture, but I'm GLAD I'm back riding. Risk and all. Lord knows I took risk in the Coast Guard for almost three decades, whats a cager or two?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you just need a new location. After a long, long absence, I've been riding for about 3 years and on my rural panhandle roads I've seen none of those problems. In that time, I've had one driver pass a little too close and blare his horn while doing it. It is an area with a lot of club riders, so maybe drivers are just used to bikes, but I've been somewhat amazed at how friendly and cooperative most of the drivers are. And even those who sort of let you know they were in a hurry never do so in a dangerous manner.

As far as the term 'cager', it still makes me think of basketball players, although I don't think that's been commonly used since my youth.

My Bikes
    Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jon c. View Post
    Maybe you just need a new location. After a long, long absence, I've been riding for about 3 years and on my rural panhandle roads I've seen none of those problems. In that time, I've had one driver pass a little too close and blare his horn while doing it. It is an area with a lot of club riders, so maybe drivers are just used to bikes, but I've been somewhat amazed at how friendly and cooperative most of the drivers are. And even those who sort of let you know they were in a hurry never do so in a dangerous manner.
    Thanks jon c. - I forgot to update that I'm riding anyway, 16 and 13 miles last few days, and I'm astounded at the friendliness and cooperation I'm experiencing up here in Dahlonega as compared to 10 miles South. I think its because of what you stated, club riders and the University of North Georgia has alot of cyclist. The best are - believe it or not, the tractor-trailer rigs, most of whom even wave.

My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Bacchetta Strada, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recognize the possibility of the problem ( cagers ) but don't think about it while on my bike. I have had a few problems ( recently while in the far right lane a fellow slammed on his brakes twice just to watch me stop ) but they are rare for me today. When young I had more incidents , fewer now. Having said that , the Northwest IMO is comparatively bicycle friendly.

My Bikes
    '77 Colnago Super, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @RamahX Thanx....now when I'm riding I'm looking for those cagers.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave Cutter:

Cager, cage. etc -- is a term used by outlaw bikers (motorcycle, that is) to describe anyone (good, bad or indifferent) who drives a car (automobile, horseless Carriage, etc.). It is, generally, a perjorative term.

Joe
    Living a fact-based life.

My Bikes
    2012 Trek 7.2FX, 2014 Domane 2.3C
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost 65 and have lived in NY, MA, NC, FL and TX (as well as in Europe) and have never heard the term "cager" until this thread. Just what I need, more useless info to clutter my head...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree. It might even be a term of endearment,"...Those poor cagers stuck in traffic..."

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    ...Is it enough to get me off the road? God help me, no. Not even close.

Instead what I do is this: The best I can to avoid injury. For me, that means cycling in places with reasonable shoulders and escape routes. It means using a rear view mirror and checking it frequently. It means analyzing crashes to try to figure out what went wrong, so I can avoid the same fate.

And even with that, I recognize that I cannot avoid injury or death in every possible situation ... it's always lurking around the corner. But then again, it's always lurking around the corner, whether I'm cycling or not. The way I look at it, cycling adds so much to my life, I'd be a fool to give it up.
    +1. I would add riding early in the day if possible. IMO the safest riding is after 4:00 AM, to 6:00 AM on weekdays, 8:00 AM on Saturdays, and 9:00 AM on Sundays.

BTW I was hit from behind on a wide, low volume, low speed, residential well-lit street at night while wearing flashing red rearlights. The reason for the presumed distraction never was produced in court. I still ride with more enthusiasm than ever, especially confident with the use of two rearview mirrors, right and left, Take-a-Look eyeglass mounted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12