Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Road bike with maximum comfort?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-14, 04:28 PM

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've just recently gotten back into cycling, but have run into a small problem. I purchased an new Specialized Crosstour, (Hybrid) which I'm generally very happy with. I wanted something that could be comfortable for long rides, so I wanted the bigger tires with a little more give than the skinny ones. I wanted a more upright riding position, which has worked out well. However, like most bikes today in the more affordable range, it has an aluminum frame. Frankly this bike seems to have a very harsh ride, and it seems actually harsher or just as harsh as the old steel frame bike with the skinny wheels. I know the steel frame has more give and absorbs the bumps better. So here's the question. Any recommendation for a bike for an older rider that will give better ride quality. Or, am I at about as good as its going to get? Maybe put on fatter softer tires?
Old 06-22-14, 05:16 PM
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannondale Synapse Carbon with 700 X 28 tires.
Old 06-22-14, 05:36 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by augiedogie
So here's the question. Any recommendation for a bike for an older rider that will give better ride quality.
How old is older? I'm 69 and my road bikes are VERY comfortable. The Litespeed is titanium and the CAAD 10 is aluminum. They're both more comfortable than my last two carbon fiber bikes (Specialized and Felt).

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 06-22-14 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-22-14, 05:45 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome Augiedogie!

74yo here and love my Reynolds 853 steel road bike on 700 x 25 tires. How old is "older?" How long is a "long ride?"
Old 06-22-14, 05:45 PM

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
There is always steel. Jamis, Surly, and All City all make nice steel,road bikes.
Old 06-22-14, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Frankly this bike seems to have a very harsh ride, and it seems actually harsher or just as harsh as the old steel frame bike with the skinny wheels.
What pressure are you running in both sets of tires? And what tires (model and size) are you using on the Crosstour? Wider tires aren't inherently much more comfortable - they're mainly more comfortable because you can run them with less pressure and still avoid pinch flats. And there can be considerable comfort differences between tires even with the same size and pressure. E.g. some tires, such as Spec. Armadillos, emphasize durability and flat resistance at the expense of both comfort and rolling resistance. That can be a good tradeoff if you live in an area with lots of thorns and flat-causing debris but would be less good in other areas.
Old 06-22-14, 06:02 PM

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
A Surly Pacer is a "comfortable" ride.
However, bike fit is an important part of bike comfort.
if your current bike ride is jarring, reduce the tire pressure a little.
Old 06-22-14, 06:21 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
If you're willing to think and act outside of the box check out my avatar.
Old 06-22-14, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, in my experience "comfort" as associated with a road bike is a nuanced term. Not sure that "sitting in a chair" comfort exists. That said, a person can train their body tolerate without complaining a bike. Almost all people I personally know who say they are comfortable on a bike are long time, high mileage riders.

Related to this are road bikes that are marketed as comfort bikes. After doing side by side comparisons beteen my "racing" Lemond Versailles and the Domane, Roubaix and Defy "comfort" bikes I found their geometries to be essentially the same. No doubt on big cobblestones at pro racing speeds they would soak up impacts better. That isn't where most people are I suspect.

My solution is to use fatter tires and configure the riding position to be more upright. Then to ride, ride and ride some more. The more I ride the happier my butt and by extension the rest of my body becomes. In fact, due to a medical issue and a lot of rain I haven't been on a bike for a week. This follows a very low mileage spring. So I am having to speak sternly to my body to get it on the saddle.
Old 06-22-14, 07:01 PM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
I've got aluminum, steel and carbon road bikes, and they're all fine for 100+ mile days. Whatever the issue is, it's not the frame material.

My guess is that it's one of two things. Most likely your tires are inflated too hard; I believe they're either 700x32 or 700x35, so they should be in the 70-85 psi range (the larger the tire, the lower the pressure). The other thing might be the upright seating position - when you hit a bump, the shock goes straight up your spine. When you're bent over somewhat as on a road bike, you tend to flex more.

Hope you get this figured out!

Demain, on roule!
Old 06-22-14, 07:02 PM

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Soma doublecross cx bike. Fast but not a racing bike, comfortable (eats potholes without an issue) but not heavy like a tourer. I like steel.
Old 06-22-14, 07:49 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Q: which is more comfortable, an axe head or a fence rail?
A: whichever one fits for you best.

Really? My suggestion is to ask your question over on the recumbent forum. You'll get lots of different answers, and not a single one of them will be, "road bike." Well, unless it's coming from a visitor.
Old 06-22-14, 08:02 PM
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I saw the title of this post I was thinking...this is going to generate some wide range of answers... mine is, if you are looking for comfort, consider the lounge chair on wheels, eg. recumbent...but maybe that is not what you are looking for, however, that is my answer to your question of comfort.
Old 06-22-14, 08:50 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've just recently gotten back into cycling, but have run into a small problem. I purchased an new Specialized Crosstour, (Hybrid) which I'm generally very happy with. I wanted something that could be comfortable for long rides, so I wanted the bigger tires with a little more give than the skinny ones. I wanted a more upright riding position, which has worked out well. However, like most bikes today in the more affordable range, it has an aluminum frame. Frankly this bike seems to have a very harsh ride, and it seems actually harsher or just as harsh as the old steel frame bike with the skinny wheels. I know the steel frame has more give and absorbs the bumps better. So here's the question. Any recommendation for a bike for an older rider that will give better ride quality. Or, am I at about as good as its going to get? Maybe put on fatter softer tires?
There are really too many factors..... However some general comments....

1) Tires,wider tires at lower pressure will act like air-shocks, absorbing more of the road buzz...

2) Handlebars. First they don't need to be a foot below the saddle, unless your a racer. The worst invention in cycling was the straight bar, moustache bars or trekking bars are much more comfortable, even the old style bars used on English 3 speeds are more comfortable the the straight bar you often see on hybrids and ATBs. Nice thing is, bars and tape are inexpensive, and you can use your existing controls.

3) Suspension, some hybrids have front suspension, and if it's properly set up for the riders weight, it can reduce the bumps and road buzz as well, so can a steel or carbon fork on an AL frame. The worst thing is a solid AL fork on an AL frame.
Old 06-22-14, 10:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And that is exactly what mine is, sold Aluminum fork and frame.
Old 06-22-14, 10:12 PM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Fatter tires rock if you want something a bit more comfortable. I'd check out the novara safari; trekking bars are cool. This is a well thought out bike:

Novara Safari Bike - 2014 at REI.com
Old 06-23-14, 05:54 AM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I seem to recall that the local recumbent riders complain just as much about chip seal and rough roads and a lot more about gravel than the upright riders, so I think maybe it depends on what form of comfort you have in mind.
As far as that goes, my tandem has a lot cushier ride than my single bike, both steel frames, identical tires and pressures on both.
Old 06-23-14, 06:20 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Augie, what do you mean?

"what road bike is the most comfortable?"

"What are the attributes of the most comfortable bike?"

"What is the most comfortable bike I can buy that meets my other riding requirements (for example, no cruisers with tractor seats)?"

Without more info, I'm tempted to answer "full-touring BMW or Gold Wing." With fridge and coffeemaker.

Are any of our answers (other than mine) doing anything for you?
Old 06-23-14, 07:07 AM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Augie, what do you mean?

"what road bike is the most comfortable?"

"What are the attributes of the most comfortable bike?"

"What is the most comfortable bike I can buy that meets my other riding requirements (for example, no cruisers with tractor seats)?"

Without more info, I'm tempted to answer "full-touring BMW or Gold Wing." With fridge and coffeemaker.

Are any of our answers (other than mine) doing anything for you?
My son took me for a drive in his recently purchased '82 911SC. Felt comfortable to me. To each-our own.

There are basics for bicycle frame construction regarding comfort, handling, efficiency, materials, etc., so with the information provided by forum members and some additional reading along with test riding go out and find that perfect steed. Then go for n+1.
Old 06-23-14, 10:41 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
I seem to recall that the local recumbent riders complain just as much about chip seal and rough roads and a lot more about gravel than the upright riders, so I think maybe it depends on what form of comfort you have in mind.
My main problem with chip seal is that I can feel it sucking the speed out of my tires. But then I was the same way on my roadie. Gravel? What's that? If you want to ride on dirt, get a dirt bike.

Regarding frames, metal frames ring when you hit them. Carbon frames go 'thud.'
Old 06-23-14, 11:16 AM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
My main problem with chip seal is that I can feel it sucking the speed out of my tires. But then I was the same way on my roadie. Gravel? What's that? If you want to ride on dirt, get a dirt bike.
When you're a 100 miles into your ride and come to the "Road Construction Next Two Miles", it's kind of hard to switch bikes.
Old 06-23-14, 11:16 AM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals

Regarding frames, metal frames ring when you hit them. Carbon frames go 'thud.'
As far as the ring or thud..... I'm a dud not a dude, like Phil in video....Genesis - I can't dance (1991) - YouTube, so thud is just fine with me......

I do like the car though.
Old 06-23-14, 11:33 AM

Bikes: Schlitter Encore, RANS Seavo tandem, Fisher HKEK, Spec. Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recumbent. Check out the bikes from Vite Bikes, or Bacchetta, Cruzbike etc.
Old 06-23-14, 11:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate all the help, although the sarcasm, not so much. The REI looks tempting. I'm going to have to check that out. Too bad I'm 350 miles from the closest store.

I'm sure some of you guys can't understand the interest in comfort. I was young once too, and that was hardly a major concern of mine. But I'm 61 now, and things don't work the same. Sitting in the same position for a long time. Not good. Things get still and sore. Your bones notice the bumps a lot more.

I know something about comfort on motorcycles and did a lot of research on that. Believe it or not, they make a surprising number of motorcycles that many middle age and older fellows can't ride for even an hour without getting off and then walking funny. Most can't be ridden comfortably for a whole day. My guess is that bicycles can be much the same. Some can be adapted so that even a codger like me can ride it for a long time, even though most are built with young people in mind who are interested in performance. Its just going to take some time and will require some testing, spending of the money and asking a lot of questions. But I don't doubt I can find what I'm looking for. I did it with motorcycles and there are machines that don't cost an arm and a leg, yet can be ridden for long days in the saddle. Thanks again for everyone's responses. Anymore help is appreciated.

Last edited by augiedogie; 06-23-14 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-23-14, 11:42 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by krobinson103
Soma doublecross cx bike. Fast but not a racing bike, comfortable (eats potholes without an issue) but not heavy like a tourer. I like steel.
+1

While many bikes can produce a comfortable ride quality and position, the Soma Double is the smoothest and most comfortable bike I've owned.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.