Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Tire Mounting Help

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Tire Mounting Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-14, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Tire Mounting Help

It was time to replace my rear tire for which I chose the same folding tire I installed a year ago. I had the most difficult time mounting this tire and don't remember it being this hard. The folding tire did not want to cooperate in getting the fist bead on the rim with tube partially inflated inside the tire, it just kept slipping off. I finally had to remove the tube install the first bead, put the inner tube in the tire and seat the second bead.

Helpful tips are appreciated
Old 06-24-14, 02:44 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by Planemaker
... Helpful tips are appreciated
You just gave one -- hang the first bead, install and lightly inflate the tube, then hang the second bead.

Do you use a two-lever process, as I always used to and sometimes still do, or do you try to sweep around the circumference using a single Teflon coated lever? Might be worthwhile to try whichever you are currently not doing.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-24-14, 03:36 PM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Yep. That is it. install the first bead, feed in the tube, and follow with the second bead. I have one or twice pinched the tube with tire levers when remounting. Now I try to avoid tire levers, not always easy, and just use hands.
Old 06-24-14, 03:37 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always place one bead on first (when I change a tube, I NEVER remove the tire completely - I always leave one bead engaged). inflate the tube somewhat and put it inside the tire and then I gently fold/prod/kneed the tire with tube onto the rim. I can usually do this without levers. I something will have to deflate the tube alittle to get the last bit over the rim.

What I have learned is some tires are impossible to mount. Some brands I will never buy as they are just to tough for these old arthitic hands to manipulate. Some tires are a dream and slid on "like butter". If your tires is beaded with toughies(kevlar) they may be more diffcult to unmount and mount.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 06-24-14, 04:27 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am 45 years in the tire business, I have experience fixing everything from a wheel barrel tire to an earthmover tire that you have to step inside it to fix. I always take the bike tire completely off, inspect the inside put the tube in it, put the first bead on, then the second, never have any trouble.

I know many put the first bead on, then the tube, seems harder to me.
Old 06-24-14, 05:50 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Some tires are just nasty. I have Michelin Krylions that are notoriously tight and moreso on aftermarket rims. Use multiple levers that will clip in place onto a spoke. Sometimes you have to use 2 in place and a third to sweep.

Before you put pressure to the tire, firm up the tire with enough pressure to manually seat the tire before final and full inflation. I too use folding bead tires (on vuelta corsa lites) and over the years have had a few unseat so now I make sure they seat prior to inflation.
Old 06-24-14, 05:54 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Also, index your tire by putting the stem near the tire label. This way when it flats you can find the trouble spot on the tire if it isnt immediately obvious on inspection.
Old 06-24-14, 06:53 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert (2014) and Specialized Allez (2013)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might also want to try the Kool-Stop Tire Bead Jack ($12.95 Amazon). A riding buddy of mine even carries one on most rides. I stick close to him.
Old 06-24-14, 07:13 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Lay the tire in the sun for 15 minutes ,before you start.
Old 06-24-14, 08:18 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by howeeee
I am 45 years in the tire business, I have experience fixing everything from a wheel barrel tire to an earthmover tire that you have to step inside it to fix. I always take the bike tire completely off, inspect the inside put the tube in it, put the first bead on, then the second, never have any trouble.

I know many put the first bead on, then the tube, seems harder to me.
Hmmm

I'll have to try that.

I've heard Schwalbe Marathons can especially be a pain. (never owned them though). Personally I've always used a couple of aluminum spoons but you gotta be careful not to pinch the tube with them.

I know the OP is using a folder with a kevlar bead (this pertains to a wire bead tire) but this might be helpful anyway.

I like the way this guy uses a zip tie, or similar, to keep his from following you back out around the rim. (never tried that yet either) And I always put just a little air in my tubes to keep them from pinching. I'll also put about 30 lbs in them after getting the tire mounted and bounce them around the circumference a bit before airing them up fully, for the same reason.

Last edited by Zinger; 06-24-14 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-24-14, 08:42 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by casjr2171
You might also want to try the Kool-Stop Tire Bead Jack ($12.95 Amazon). A riding buddy of mine even carries one on most rides. I stick close to him.
The Kool-Stop bead jack is a fine shop tool, but not especially portable. The VAR #425 bead jack is more portable, if slightly less robust to use:

Old 06-24-14, 10:37 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
^^^
I've tried the little nylon tire tools somewhat like that back in the '80s and found I liked just two old school aluminum spoons better. They just seemed to pry in easier and slide around the rim better for me.
Old 06-24-14, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Try this ...

Mounting Your Michelin Tires Instructions for fitting an inner tube - How to fit (Video) | Welcome to MICHELIN Bicycle - North America

1. Carefully inspect the rim. A rim in bad condition, with dents or cracks, can be dangerous.

2. Inspect the rim band or rim tape. A rim band or tape that is damaged or cracked, torn or frayed should be replaced. A damaged rim band or tape is often the cause of punctures. Make sure the rim band's hole is centered over the valve hole, and keep the two holes aligned. Also make sure the rim band or tape uniformly covers the spoke holes and has not shifted to expose these often sharp edges. Note: Ultra-light tubes are more susceptible to punctures caused by internal abrasion from a worn or poor fitting rim band or tape due to their thinner wall construction.

3. Fit the first bead into the rim.

4. Slightly inflate the tube to give it shape and introduce it into the tire, starting with the valve. Coat the inside of the tire with talc in order to facilitate positioning of the tube inside the tire.

5. To install the second bead, always start opposite the valve and position the bead in the rim bed. Make sure the bead is working into the drop center of the rim to ease mounting. Finish the tire mounting at the valve.
Note: Starting at the valve restricts the bead from falling into the drop center when finishing mounting, making the job more difficult. Ending at the valve eliminates this issue. This is even more of an issue on tubeless tires due to the larger sealing head of a tubeless valve.

6. While keeping hold of the valve, push the valve into the rim and pull back to unseat the tube from under the bead in the valve area.

7. Check around the rim and tire to make sure the tube is not pinched between the bead and the rim. If the tube is pinched, work the tire with your fingers to dislodge the pinched tube or remount more carefully.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TP.jpg (56.7 KB, 51 views)
Old 06-24-14, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I have used the method described in the video above, but don't use anything to secure the tire to the rim.

My wife demonstrated this method at a wellness conference where we were doing a basic bike maintenance presentation. Granted we did not pick our most stubborn tire for the demo, but I have seen her do it a number of times on anything from a 23 mm light weigh road tire to heavier 32 mm touring tires. She dose it without tire levers.

I believe the key is to lightly inflate the tube to seat the first bead and get any wrinkles out of the tube, get the second bead started and then deflate the tube completely. Any air in the tube makes it harder to seat the second bead. You don't need to worry as much about pinching the tube because tire levers are not being used.

I've only used Schwalbe Marathons on Velocity Dyad rims, and they almost fall off the rim until the beads are seated.

Start at the bottom of the wheel, opposite the valve, pinch the beads toward the center of the rim and pull up as you seat the second bead around both sides of the rim. As my wife demonstrated, it is more about technique than strength.
Old 06-25-14, 05:03 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Planemaker
install the first bead, put the inner tube in the tire and seat the second bead.
This is the correct sequence.

If you feel compelled to partially inflate the tube, remember this is done by mouth, not with a pump, and installation sequence remains the same.
Old 06-25-14, 05:56 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
For the really tough tires I either buy a new wheel or I have the LBS do it for me.

Old 06-25-14, 07:32 AM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Read this. It will be perhaps helpful.
Curtis Corlew in Bicycle Land: Schwalbe Marathon Plus mounting and review
Old 06-25-14, 07:38 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
Good blog. I also have MP tires, although I'm not using them right now. I've wanted to get a separate wheel set just so I don't have to mess with them any more than necessary. I also own one of those tire jack things and it really helps.