Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 03-28-05, 02:48 AM   #1
Black Patch

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help me buy my new bike

Hi Guys, I'm looking to buy a new bike. I recently had a major accident on my old bike (Specialized Rockhopper) and I no longer feel confident on it. As I'm pretty much on the short side I feel I need a light bike but I am still keen on full suspension. I think I've narrowed it down to 1/ Giant NRS1 Carbon, 2/ Giant Trance1 3/ Specialized Epic Comp. These are all within my price range of $4000 - $4500 Aus. I ride mainly cross country with a few small jumps thrown in for fun. If you have any idea of what the lightest of these bikes are please let me know or if you have any alternative suggestions I would be glad to hear them. Thanks.
Black Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 12:55 PM   #2
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not certain of the price over in the Oz but another bike for you to consider. The Whyte 46. This is rapidly becoming the bike to get in the UK. Long travel suspension for XC, but still light (26lbs). strong enough to take anything that can be thrown at it, and the ride is superb.

I rode one about a month ago, and the ride is superb for comfort, climbing is a doddle, and quality of parts fitted makes you wonder why the other manufacturere bikes are so expensive for what they are. Downhill on this is unbelievable, almost as good as a full downhill, or so I am told by those that have ridden it on aggressive downhill courses, but that is not what the bike is built for. On the Bike front, this is the one that I would aspire to if I was in the market for comfort with handling and lightness.
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote