Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    My Bikes
    Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your BMI and Well Being

Does a low BMI in short terms mean your more helthy then someone with a high BMI..? I am 60 years old and have a BMI of 21.5 Says I am in a quite elite categegory of white males in my age group..Like less then 5%..Hmmmm!
    Trek Fuel EX9.0 Trek Fuel EX9.5 Trek Equinox 9.9SSL TTX Trek Madone 6.9 Pro Red Project One, Trek Boone 7, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Carbon District

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trekmogul View Post
    Does a low BMI in short terms mean your more healthy then someone with a high BMI..?
    Way too much of a generalization. A good ratio of fat to lean is just one parameter of health and fitness. Anorexics have very low BMIs, as do meth addicts and concentration camp survivors. Keeping your bodyfat within a healthy range is important but by itself it doesn't automatically make you more healthy or more fit. Not saying that being lean (within limits) isn't a good thing, but there are a lot of sickly skinny people in the world.

Last edited by GravelMN; 07-06-14 at 04:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BMI doesn't account for the wide variation in body types, from endomorph to ectomorph. Plus, you could have lots of other crap going wrong, of which you're not aware. Pride goeth before the fall. I was 21.3 before the fall. Uh, falls.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Er, probably.

BMI is really a population measure. In any given population, the incidence and prevalence of various degenerative diseases rises with the number of people with BMIs over 25 (maybe over 23, I'm somewhat out of date with the data, but 25 is still considered a healthy weight) and the more people are obese(BMI over 30) the greater the ill-health.

However, as usual, it is dangerous to extrapolate from the general to the particular. Some mesomorphs will have a high BMI but low percentage bodyfat, and be entirely healthy. And, of course, there is more to good health than being light. Plenty of people with low BMIs will have health problems.

Having said all that, if your BMI is 21.5 you're probably at lower risk than most of us with regard to various nasties like hypertension, diabetes, coronary artery disease, maybe some cancers. So that's all good.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

My Bikes
    Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelMN View Post
    Way too much of a generalization. A good ratio of fat to lean is just one parameter of health and fitness. Anorexics have very low BMIs, as do meth addicts and concentration camp survivors. Keeping your bodyfat within a healthy range is important but by itself it doesn't automatically make you more healthy or more fit.

Not saying that being lean (within limits) isn't a good thing, but there are a lot of sickly skinny people in the world.
    Well hanging out here on a bike web site kind of discredits the meth dude and others above you mentioned. Guess i should have known better and was going to get some idiotic anser like this.
    Trek Fuel EX9.0 Trek Fuel EX9.5 Trek Equinox 9.9SSL TTX Trek Madone 6.9 Pro Red Project One, Trek Boone 7, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Carbon District

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BMI is a convenient objective measure for comparing populations and trends, but is pretty meaningless as in indicator of an individual's health given all the other variables.

My Bikes
    Trek 820
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have read that some fat is good for elderly people. I do not consider 60 to be elderly. Fat can help cushion bones in a fall.
    sharon

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    Er, probably.

BMI is really a population measure. In any given population, the incidence and prevalence of various degenerative diseases rises with the number of people with BMIs over 25 (maybe over 23, I'm somewhat out of date with the data, but 25 is still considered a healthy weight) and the more people are obese(BMI over 30) the greater the ill-health.

However, as usual, it is dangerous to extrapolate from the general to the particular. Some mesomorphs will have a high BMI but low percentage bodyfat, and be entirely healthy. And, of course, there is more to good health than being light. Plenty of people with low BMIs will have health problems.

Having said all that, if your BMI is 21.5 you're probably at lower risk than most of us with regard to various nasties like hypertension, diabetes, coronary artery disease, maybe some cancers. So that's all good.
    Thanks for your common sense answer to my question above. I have in the last 7 years become a total 100% fanatic about a pure and proper life style. My entire life circles around riding my bicycle, eating healthy and taking care of myself more then most could ever imagine. I was just trying to generate some chatter about a healthy life style.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by prathmann View Post
    BMI is a convenient objective measure for comparing populations and trends, but is pretty meaningless as in indicator of an individual's health given all the other variables.
    Would you consider riding 40 miles a day 7 days a week and having a BMI of 21.5 be some indication of a healthy life style?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BMI, genetics, environmental hazards (disregarded by many - but look at the cancer rates of those who lived near and/or worked at Rocky Flats and the Rocky Mountain Arsenal near Denver, or Love Canal or even the content of the air you breathe, the food you eat and the water you drink, etc.), amount of and type of exercise, accident rate and exposure, exposure to other's disease (Hepatitis C for example) - it is pretty hard to say any one thing makes one healthy (or not). IMHO, BMI is relatively insignificant given everything else. And, as pointed out elsewhere, body type, musculature, age - none are accounted for in the BMI.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-06-14 at 04:30 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linnefaulk View Post
    I have read that some fat is good for elderly people. I do not consider 60 to be elderly. Fat can help cushion bones in a fall.
    Fat in your diet or fat on your body? I already been down the FAT Body Syndrome for most of my adult life until i decided to do something about it 7 years ago. We went from 265lbs to 148 lbs 7 years ago and have not put on a single lb ever since. There was no issues, no quack tricks, no doctore, no stomach stapling or anything BUT an entire life style change. 44 Trousers 7 years ago are now 31 trousers. I had that 35BMI for many years until one day i woke up and thought i needed a change. I have never been so fit, so in shape mentally and physically then i have these last 7 years of my life. I am engrossed in this new life style 7 days a week 24 hours a day with no waivering ofcoarse ever..! There is not many that can do what i did and continue it onwards. I could go on and on about this obsession I live now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well hanging out here on a bike web site kind of discredits the meth dude and others above you mentioned. Guess i should have known better and was going to get some idiotic anser like this.
    Well that was rude and uncalled for.

I was merely pointing out that a low BMI is not a stand alone indicator of health, but is part of a much bigger picture. I wasn't implying that there were a lot of meth addicts and concentration camp survivors who are cyclists, nor does being on a bike web site automatically mean you follow a healthy lifestyle. Saying that one person is healthier than another simply based on BMI is still an overgeneralization and not everyone with your BMI is as healthy and fit as you are. Some are actually quite unhealthy, even if they might ride a bike. Many people, myself included, took up cycling because they are unhealthy and need to make improvements.

My response was not a statement about you or your lifestyle, only on the one comment that I quoted. It sounds like you have embraced a healthy lifestyle. Kudos on your good BMI. I hope that the other parameters of your health are equally impressive.
    Last edited by GravelMN; 07-06-14 at 04:43 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you consider riding 40 miles a day 7 days a week and having a BMI of 21.5 be some indication of a healthy life style?
    I think riding 40 miles per day, 7 days per week, for most folks, does not have enough opportunities for the body to recover, rebuild muscle and regenerate, and could be quite unhealthy, However, there are always exceptions, and you seem to be one, it seems.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An indication of an OCD disorder maybe. Healthy? Who knows.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess would be that those who are 60 years old (or older) and voluntarily riding almost 300 miles/week are likely to be relatively healthy compared to others of their age regardless of their BMI. Those with significant health problems are unlikely to want to do that much riding.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    I think riding 40 miles per day, 7 days per week, for most folks, does not have enough opportunities for the body to recover, rebuild muscle and regenerate, and could be quite unhealthy, However, there are always exceptions, and you seem to be one, it seems.
    I been doing it for over 5 years now with no side effects what so ever. I get up at 3am everyday and by 0430 I am out on the bike trail to get my morning 20 in and in the afternoon after i get up from my 2 hour nap i head out for the 2nd half of my 40 miles of the day. I dont ride with no one or ever have any interest to do so. I am on a mission to ride, think and get the exercise. Then when winter approaches, my wife and i head to Southeast Asia (Sri lanka) and the same thing continues onwards in close to 100 degree heat every single day. I swear i have to be doing something right with all this My eating habits are extremely regimental and seriosly strict. if it looks good, taste good and smells good, most likely i wont touch it. I ONLY eat single ingrediant food items and ZERO RED Meat. 10 to 12 servings or RAW Orgainic Vegetable put into a Vitamix 750 every single day of the year..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I been doing it for over 5 years now with no side effects what so ever. I get up at 3am everyday and by 0430 I am out on the bike trail to get my morning 20 in and in the afternoon after i get up from my 2 hour nap i head out for the 2nd half of my 40 miles of the day. I dont ride with no one or ever have any interest to do so. I am on a mission to ride, think and get the exercise. Then when winter approaches, my wife and i head to Southeast Asia (Sri lanka) and the same thing continues onwards in close to 100 degree heat every single day. I swear i have to be doing something right with all this My eating habits are extremely regimental and seriosly strict. if it looks good, taste good and smells good, most likely i wont touch it. I ONLY eat single ingrediant food items and ZERO RED Meat. 10 to 12 servings or RAW Orgainic Vegetable put into a Vitamix 750 every single day of the year..
    Annnnnd….totally OCD.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by prathmann View Post
    My guess would be that those who are 60 years old (or older) and voluntarily riding almost 300 miles/week are likely to be relatively healthy compared to others of their age regardless of their BMI. Those with significant health problems are unlikely to want to do that much riding.
    I have never ever felt so good as i have these last 7 years of my life since i started this new lifestyle. It only took one single thing that most dont have.."Self Determination"..!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    Annnnnd….totally OCD.
    Well if that is what yah call it, then that what i have and sure pretty proud of it.. My entire day from the time i get up till the time i go to bed is making sure i follow my strict life style ..I refuse to go out to eat, i only eat things either my wife or i have cooked. If i have to go somewhere and know I am going to miss a meal, i will make sure the meal is prepared and brought along with me. It is a total obsession..

My Bikes
    surly LHT, surly CC, trek 5000, paris sport fixie (my 1970 bike...repurposed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BMI doesn't account for the wide variation in body types, from endomorph to ectomorph.
    Yes it does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if that is what yah call it, then that what i have and sure pretty proud of it.. My entire day from the time i get up till the time i go to bed is making sure i follow my strict life style ..I refuse to go out to eat, i only eat things either my wife or i have cooked. If i have to go somewhere and know I am going to miss a meal, i will make sure the meal is prepared and brought along with me. It is a total obsession..
    Cool! If you're built that way, the only way to go is embrace it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAura View Post
    Yes it does.
    Really? I wasn't aware of how it accounts for different body types. If what you mean is that it takes an average, then no, it doesn't. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong BMI tools. Please let us know. Thanks!

My Bikes
    surly LHT, surly CC, trek 5000, paris sport fixie (my 1970 bike...repurposed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really? I wasn't aware of how it accounts for different body types. If what you mean is that it takes an average, then no, it doesn't. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong BMI tools. Please let us know. Thanks!
    Normal BMI = 18.5 to 24.9 is a huge range that includes all normal body types including gender.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best advice is to ignore your BMI. it is popular but no more significant than your astrological sign. Thee BMI was invented in 1832 as a way to describe large populations of people, and never intended for use by individuals. If you simply want to learn if you are obese, use the waist to height ratio or the waist to hips ratio. If you want scientific analysis of your weight. use Weight Zone Factor | Smarter BMI | Custom Weight Zone It's the best I've found so far. If anyone knows a better site, please post it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the CDC - and I write this knowing I should lose some weight, also knowing I have an unusual amount of muscle for someone 75yo. Also, bodyfat tends to increase as one ages.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/index.html#Athlete

If an athlete or other person with a lot of muscle has a BMI over 25, is that person still considered to be overweight?

According to the BMI weight status categories, anyone with a BMI over 25 would be classified as overweight and anyone with a BMI over 30 would be classified as obese.

It is important to remember, however, that BMI is not a direct measure of body fatness and that BMI is calculated from an individual's weight which includes both muscle and fat. As a result, some individuals may have a high BMI but not have a high percentage of body fat. For example, highly trained athletes may have a high BMI because of increased muscularity rather than increased body fatness. Although some people with a BMI in the overweight range (from 25.0 to 29.9) may not have excess body fatness, most people with a BMI in the obese range (equal to or greater than 30) will have increased levels of body fatness.

It is also important to remember that weight is only one factor related to risk for disease. If you have questions or concerns about the appropriateness of your weight, you should discuss them with your healthcare provider.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast