Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris Froome: I?ll see Alberto Contador in Spain | The Sun |Sport|Tour De France

Froome definitely wants a crack at Contador in Spain... Let's really hope both of them are healed enough, although I really have doubts about Contador's injury, as I would think a shin would be hard considering it's a pressure point for pedaling.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gpsblake View Post
    Chris Froome: I?ll see Alberto Contador in Spain | The Sun |Sport|Tour De France

Froome definitely wants a crack at Contador in Spain... Let's really hope both of them are healed enough, although I really have doubts about Contador's injury, as I would think a shin would be hard considering it's a pressure point for pedaling.
    I find your use of the word "crack" strangely fitting in this context.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spoiler Alert!!!

Learn to use Google....geeesh, most of this stuff is faster to find than to start a thread like this.

Pro Bikes Archives - VeloNews.com
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

VNA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The images are superb, most of the comments are dumb in english or french, but watching all these cyclists that are doped or drugged up so they can finish in Paris?

How can a normal human being run a marathon every day for 21 days without some assistance from some form of drugs?

Armstrong and so many before him are the best to answer that question--at least they knew what to do!

My Bikes
    2 rideable, 5. in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VNA View Post
    The images are superb, most of the comments are dumb in english or french, but watching all these cyclists that are doped or drugged up so they can finish in Paris?

How can a normal human being run a marathon every day for 21 days without some assistance from some form of drugs?

Armstrong and so many before him are the best to answer that question--at least they knew what to do!

Top cyclists are not normal humans. Their skill and endurance levels are abnormal.

VNA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post
    Top cyclists are not normal humans. Their skill and endurance levels are abnormal.
    Skills are one thing, super human endurance is where drugs are a great help!

Anquetil use to say that one cannot win without "doctoring oneself" to win! He would add that he would not die from one cancer but many and he was right he died with 5 different forms of cancer! How soon we forget about Tom Simpson on the Ventoux and very likely Laurent Fignon and so many others!

Sorry I am spoiling the thread, but lets be real: it is not cycling that we watch on TV.

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Glad to see team ******-***** salvage this stage win out of this today. I'll have to wear my ******-***** T shirt down to shop at the hardware store this afternoon .
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't believe that ************ fell today and was dropped off the peloton. You have to know********was thinking of stomping on the gas to pass him on the podium.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Tour ended yesterday; the Italian guy won. I think. Didn't pay close attention this year.
    Last edited by JanMM; 07-28-14 at 09:50 PM.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Felt F55X
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Italian guy, what Italian guy?

That was a pretty enjoyable tour to watch. Having some of the top contenders knocked out spiced it up and I the number of crashes were really high (not that would wish either on anyone). I am now inspired to go see it in person in a year or two.

[rant] I sure hate the fact that NBC sports took over the bicycling channel (I believe it was still the OLN channel). They covered a TDF day of rest in prime-time but not one of the stages (because of a soccer game), and they don't cover other tours anymore - I expect they only bought the channel for the TDF rights and for more channels to play more homogenized and marketable sports. And their online video feed had horrendous quality - riders faces were smeared blobs. And the video feed kept dropping out (and I have an excellent high performance computer and network connectivity at 56 Mbps) [/rant]

As for the doping, it is what it is right now and hopefully things will get better. But for the naysayers, these are still over the top athletes (let see you complete one or two stages of the TDF, even with fresh blood).

-
    Last edited by GeneO; 07-28-14 at 09:56 PM.
    2012 Felt F55X

My Bikes
    Specialized Camber Elite 29er
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched the race again this year. I'll admit that I don't follow it as closely as I did years ago… I don't recognize most of the names of the riders anymore. But it's still exciting.

I have to wonder how these riders would do in a race such as the Tour Divide, though. 2700+ miles along the Continental Divide. Over mountain passes of 12,000 feet, through wilderness areas with primitive paths, contending with moose, bears, snakes, sleeping in temps close to freezing, crossing streams several feet deep, carrying your bike through snowdrifts, not seeing another rider for days, getting to a town every two or three days. You have no support team and must carry everything you need on your bike. If your bike breaks, you have to fix it.

Amazingly enough, this year's winner finished in 17 days. Some riders take more than twice that long. Around 140 riders started the race this year. It may be the only race where men and women race together.

Somehow, rain and cobblestones don't seem like that big a deal after being chased by a bear.

My Bikes
    2 rideable, 5. in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing. Never heard of this race before but just Googled it, and pleasantly surprised that Mike Hall from my home city of Cardiff won this in 2013 in 14 days, averaging close on 200 miles per day the hard way, on tracks & trails.

I would imagine that should TDF riders ever feel crazy enough to do this ride, many of them would do extremely well, once they had had a bit of time on MTBs. They've got the stamina, but then again, there's no money in it.
    Last edited by Gerryattrick; 07-29-14 at 03:59 PM.

My Bikes
    No name mtn, Bike E , Vilano and Zenetto Stealth
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re: Tour. Saw a first for me. Rider changed shoes and maintained contact with the back.
    Retired 75 YO. Got my sub 5 ET century at 50 and sub 7 RT at 75. Just want to finish at 80. USNR, USAF, USCGA - riding 2014 Zenetto Steath ZR7.1 Carbon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nibali won.

Sorry if I spoiled it...

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Last edited by Zinger; 08-03-14 at 11:48 PM.
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123