tly
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T700 Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting ready to pull the trigger on my retirement bike. Question

I don't know if this is the proper forum to post this question but since this is the one that I tend to go to first you guys win the prize.

I have always heard that this is the time of year (or we are getting close) when the new models are beginning to roll out and the manufacturers make clearance deals on the current models. I have done most of my research and have pretty well settled on the Specialized Roubaix as the bike that I want to ride into the sunset on. I visited my local shop and the salesman looked on his computer and said basically that it didn't look like there were a lot of them left and that for that reason they likely wouldn't be offering many discounts on that model.

Is there any experience out there that can confirm this?
    If this is the case why wouldn't I wait until the 2015 models come out and get the newer technology (I realize that there could be a potential price increase)
    Does anyone know when the 2015's come out for Specialized?

thanks
    I don't want a pickle......
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc
    2006 Specialized Allez Elite

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't really advise but just sayin....after today's TdF, there might be some special specialized deals....just sayin....

Good hunting and enjoy your Big R bike.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much do you trust the salesman? The guy I buy all my new bikes from has been a friend for years, and I believe him if he says I should wait or if I should jump on a deal. There are some salesman that would figure that you're anxious to buy since you have a specific wish and a specific occasion and hold out until it becomes evident that you AREN'T in a hurry and will wait if you have to -- or even worse, shop around other Specialized dealers. It's true that if a model is almost sold out there probably won't be many deals. But maybe that won't be quite as true in October. Maybe there are only five bikes in the warehouse, but what if they don't sell them. If you can't get a good deal on a 2014 I'd wait. Either a deal WILL come along, or a 2015 will catch your fancy. If you're not getting a deal you might as well get the newest.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When a shop says "not many available", that means most have been booked for delivery to LBS's. That doesn't mean various LBS's will have sold out of them and you may still find a very good deal on 2014 bikes. There may not be a Specialized promo but LBS's sell year old bikes at pretty good prices.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this is your retirement bike, you might want to consider a recumbent or a trike. You see so many retirees buying bikes for exercise, and getting some form of DF bike. Then after a few rides they think they hurt too much, get hung up in the garage and gather dust. Five years later they get sold for 5% of what they cost.

OTOH if a retiree would have bought a bent, a good percentage continue to ride since there is no pain and are fun to ride. Right now and for good reason in my estimation, trikes are a really hot item. I would suggest you at least try one.

My Bikes
    all diamond frames
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    If this is your retirement bike, you might want to consider a recumbent or a trike. You see so many retirees buying bikes for exercise, and getting some form of DF bike. Then after a few rides they think they hurt too much, get hung up in the garage and gather dust. Five years later they get sold for 5% of what they cost.

OTOH if a retiree would have bought a bent, a good percentage continue to ride since there is no pain and are fun to ride. Right now and for good reason in my estimation, trikes are a really hot item. I would suggest you at least try one.
    Doesn't look like the op is just starting out based on his bikes, so maybe, just maybe, he likes df bikes. A lot of people really enjoy them. My ass hurts when I sit in a recliner too long, not when I am on my properly adjusted bicycle seat
    Rydadiamond

My Bikes
    all diamond frames
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tly View Post
    I don't know if this is the proper forum to post this question but since this is the one that I tend to go to first you guys win the prize.

I have always heard that this is the time of year (or we are getting close) when the new models are beginning to roll out and the manufacturers make clearance deals on the current models. I have done most of my research and have pretty well settled on the Specialized Roubaix as the bike that I want to ride into the sunset on. I visited my local shop and the salesman looked on his computer and said basically that it didn't look like there were a lot of them left and that for that reason they likely wouldn't be offering many discounts on that model.

Is there any experience out there that can confirm this?
    If this is the case why wouldn't I wait until the 2015 models come out and get the newer technology (I realize that there could be a potential price increase)
    Does anyone know when the 2015's come out for Specialized?

thanks
    I wouldn't worry so much about what model year it is, but make sure that it fits and has the right component set up for you. A cheap price on an ill fitting bike isn't a very good deal.
    Rydadiamond

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post

Lot of good advice in this post.

Bottom line here is........your health, and strength levels, today is NOT how you will be tomorrow so allow for the things that WILL change in your body and health.
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is true that most models and sizes of 2014 Roubaix are sold out or in very short supply. It is likely that unless you find your model and size on a showroom floor, you will be shopping for a 2015 model. I have not seen much info on any changes coming for the 2015 bikes, but the big dealer meetings have just been held and that probably means there will be a lot of news coming out any day now.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How tall are you?

Bike manufacturers have two different criteria for bringing out next year's models:

Cutting edge bikes usually aren't shown until the Interbike Trade Show. If they were, the manufacturers wouldn't have anything to talk about at the show. The major component manufacturers are involved too so if Shimano comes out with some fantastic new product, nobody will be allowed to show it until Interbike.

Run-of-the-mill bikes are generally brought out whenever the manufacturer no longer has all sizes of the current models available for sale. But those new models aren't going to be equipped with the newest and greatest component features. If they happen to be overstocked with the size that you need, there might be some good deals available. If your size happens to be the first one they ran out of - sorry.
    My greatest fear is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interbike has lost some of its clout as manufacturers have found they can get more press coverage for their products by holding press events where they show off their new goodies without having to compete for attention with all the competitors' products.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Cannondale; Jamis, Kona, Rocky Mntn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering what a "retirement" bike was. For me the definition is, "the last nice bike that I can afford to buy". In preparation for that day I keep looking for that "special" bike that I'd like to have "someday". Someday that is when I can afford to retire, or simply become retired. Was really tempted by a Serrota posted on another forum ... But my better sense prevailed ... Will continue to wait.

blt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Lot of good advice in this post.

Bottom line here is........your health, and strength levels, today is NOT how you will be tomorrow so allow for the things that WILL change in your body and health.
    This is why I believe it is a mistake to buy a bike that you think you will ride into the sunset on. Buy a bike for the foreseeable future, and be prepared to live long enough that you may need to buy another bike to meet your changing body and health. I just turned 54.5 this weekend, I don't rule out the possibility that I'm only halfway through, in which case, who knows how many more bikes I'll need. On the other hand, I may not last long enough to need another bike. So, one day at a time, and no planning that any given bike will be my last, even if it may be.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Expert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has nobody read 'Younger Next Year'? Get a great bike and pound it! Go for the gold with as nice a bike as you can possibly justify (considering your finances, ability NOW and in the FUTURE - as you become an even BETTER RIDER). As a 60 year old who rides a Specialized Roubaix (hard) with the Ultegra set up I can heartily recommend it. When I can't outride guys 20 years younger than I am I get worried (30 years younger and I just smile...).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mitch View Post
    Has nobody read 'Younger Next Year'? Get a great bike and pound it! Go for the gold with as nice a bike as you can possibly justify (considering your finances, ability NOW and in the FUTURE - as you become an even BETTER RIDER). As a 60 year old who rides a Specialized Roubaix (hard) with the Ultegra set up I can heartily recommend it. When I can't outride guys 20 years younger than I am I get worried (30 years younger and I just smile...).
    Now yer talkin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My retirement bike would be a custom. Curtlo custom frames for $1,000. Pick your own retirement color. Pick your own retirement drivetrain. And a retirement wheelset. Much more than twice the fun of buying off-Specialized's-shelf. I'm not putting down off-the-shelf bikes, they aren't my idea of a retirement bike tho. Even a special bike from the past is more retirement than an off-the-Trek's shelf. I want a Della Santa red&white, Record mechanical, tubular wheelset - oopps I'm already retired. I went the 'blast from the past route' - even wrench a flat tire or glue a tubie or clean 'n lube the drivetrain in my retirement hours. Whooop-eee.
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '86 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, '87 DeRosa Professional, '99 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am now riding my 5th "retirement" bike which is a trike. I ride my trike and LWB bent about 50-50.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't need or want a retirement bike. I just had to work a little longer to offset what I payed for the bikes I have I have several nice bikes that I have worked hard to find, build to my needs, and fits me like a glove. I'm truly happy with what I have. As far as future needs are concerned etc; I just plan on riding until I forget where I parked it or can't get on it anymore.

However, I agree that a retirement bike should be something special. When my wife retired, I got her a custom built Co-Motion frame, and built her up a really nice touring bike. It was a great investment; in the 3 years she's had it she put 10,000 miles on it, about 2/3 of that has been on some pretty long tours. The good thing is that she takes me along!

For a retirement bike the cost should not matter within reason. If the Roubaix is the bike you want get it, and get it to fit. The difference in 2014 and 2015 prices should not be that great. However, there is a lot of merit in getting a custom built frame.

A good bike is really versatile- my wife's bike.
    Last edited by Doug64; 07-15-14 at 10:37 PM.

tly
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rydabent:

Thanks for your thoughts and someday I may have to go the bent route, and will rather than giving up riding altogether. I still enjoy my DF bike and ride it relatively pain free and going to the more relaxed upright ride that the Roubaix has should extend my time on a DF. Bike shop let me bring home one for a week and the ride and fit are amazing.

tly
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK now you are depressing me. I refuse to participate,

tly
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I guess that instead of calling this my "retirement bike" I should call it the the first bike that I intend to wear out in my retirement years. Walking out the door in 260 days wohoo! A couple of you have really got me thinking about a custom built. I always had that in the back of my mind so maybe it's time to do the research. BUT I'm no longer obsessing over getting the best deal on a 2014, just getting a great bike. Thanks for all the great ideas.

Tom

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyb View Post
    Doesn't look like the op is just starting out based on his bikes, so maybe, just maybe, he likes df bikes. A lot of people really enjoy them. My ass hurts when I sit in a recliner too long, not when I am on my properly adjusted bicycle seat
    I have the same reaction to motorcycles. I have done 1,000 mi. days on my Ducati sport bikes but would be writhing in pain after 15 min. on a cruiser. FWIW the last 1,000 mi. day was last year at age 67 so it isn't age related.

My Bikes
    all diamond frames
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    I have the same reaction to motorcycles. I have done 1,000 mi. days on my Ducati sport bikes but would be writhing in pain after 15 min. on a cruiser. FWIW the last 1,000 mi. day was last year at age 67 so it isn't age related.
    +1
    Rydadiamond

My Bikes
    Novara Randonee, Felt Z45, Marin Belvedere Commuter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is not a lot of profit on bikes. Bike shops make most of their money on accessories and repairs. If you find a bike you like, buy it. Don't haggle to much over fifty bucks.
    Bike riding New England gentleman.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by capejohn View Post
    There is not a lot of profit on bikes. Bike shops make most of their money on accessories and repairs. If you find a bike you like, buy it. Don't haggle to much over fifty bucks.
    True, if a bike shop has a bike on the floor they've already paid for it (or taken it on credit) and there won't be much wiggle room. On the other hand, manufacturers and distributors can't eat bikes, so if there are unsold bikes from a year or even two back languishing in the warehouse, they sometimes can be had at very deep discounts and the LBS still makes a few bucks. I'm not saying that you can find any bike you want on those terms -- popular models will sell out and some bikes that weren't bought were not bought for good reason -- but that's how jackals like me manage a new bike now and then. Probably not a consideration for the OP, but worth keeping in mind for some of the rest of us. It helps to know and trust a salesman, because you don't know what he sees on the computer screen, and all else being equal he would much rather sell you a bike that has to go out the door or else the LBS has to eat it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast