User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Bikes
    2 rideable, 5. in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To buck the trend I went for a half my age breakfast ride yesterday - 34 miles. Great ride and plenty of time to enjoy the rest of the day, renewing two shed roofs so my bikes stay dry this winter!

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have time to regularly ride my age (68), but I certainly do it in the vicinity of my November birthday and this spring I did 80 miles with ~6000' of climbing; more recently a "50 miler" of the Sequoia Century ride, actually 59 miles with 5600' of climbing. I'm limited by my refusal to do long, flat, mind-numbing rides just to be able to say "I rode my age". The only thing I've got going for me in my dotage is the 20 lbs I've lost since I retired last November, down to slightly over 180 from 205.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode my age, and then did it again right afterwards, was enjoying it so much I did it again......and then halfway through the 4th one one my bike quit on me. Oh well....
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Fuji Supreme; Fuji Royale; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode my age (55) on Saturday and next Saturday will do a century.

My Bikes
    Giant Defy Advanced, Windsor Tourist
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've ridden my age (60) a couple of times since my B-day. Usually I have in a couple of century rides by this time of the year, but work and other commitments has prevented it.

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I turned 62 on Sunday. Saturday I rode 64.8, Sunday 46.8, Monday 71.8, and today 65.0.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode 7 times my age on my last 600k, July 5-6.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

My Bikes
    early 80's steel 12speed, CAAD10-3 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to ride 55+ miles for my 55th birthday (was planning a metric century) but I got a flat 4 miles in and without a second tube I was reluctant to ride another 50+miles hoping I didnt get another flat...and just as I got the tire changed my brother called me to wish me happy birthday and tell me about his trip to Spain...so that ride turned into a 30 mile ride. I finished metric century the next day...not sure if that counts (the day was my birthday and I did ride more than 55km so I'm going with yes )

I hope I can ride as much as some of you do when I'm in my late 60-70...it's inspiring

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro, Fisher HKEK, Spec. Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Managed my age + a few months two weeks ago, and last Sunday in the heat also. First time was on the tandem Seavo, second time was on my Giro, solo.
    The Monkeywrangler's Blog
    2007 Bachetta Giro 26/700c - The Yellow Peril!
    Fisher HKEK

rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My birthday ride last month was uneventful and my only ride over 50 miles this year. A thread would have been boring. For some reason 35-50 mile rides are as long as I want this year.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride more than my age (60) every Saturday and with the heat of summer. I usually do it in the mountains.

My Bikes
    2 rideable, 5. in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
    For some reason 35-50 mile rides are as long as I want this year.
    I know what you mean. As far as enjoyment is concerned the law of diminishing returns kicks in after 2.5 to 3 hours in the saddle for me.

My Bikes
    Fuji Supreme; Fuji Royale; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rode the Tour De Tonka yesterday. We rode to and from the event (14 miles) and started out with the century riders. There would be multiple places to bail out for shorter distances (they had 16, 26, 44, 52, 67 and 100 mile routes!). At the cutoff for 67 it was clear the day was going to be very hot and, well to be honest, I hadn't trained for this one at all. We saw several people trying to work out cramps at the side of the road. Fortunately the ride is very well supported and as long as you are on the course help will come in the form of a motorcycle or sag wagon. We ended up with 80.5 miles for day and I was beat! This had nothing to do with age and everything to do with not actually training! I feel pretty good today though. So I bested my age by 24 years but getting in a century this summer will have to wait a little while.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    I rode 77 miles at Helluva Ride. I guess that means I'm not old enough.
    I was really hoping to do that, 61 miles is what I needed. Plus the day after was my birthday!

astro
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the FANY ride a week ago. 476 miles in 7 days, which averages to 68 miles a day, so averaged my age 7 days in a row.

Or if you're a purist, mileages were 82.9, 63.1, 72.9, 78.6, 61.3, 73.1, 43.9, so 4 birthday+ rides in a week.

Photos here: FANY Ride, July 19-28, 2014

- Ed

TFO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reverborama View Post
    Rode the Tour De Tonka yesterday.
    I did it too and it got real hot to the point where I overheated a bit and bonked out in the wilderness past Young America. A little rest and I was able to finish the 100. Thought I was in better shape than last year, felt worse and averaged exactly the same.
    Doug

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being on vacation last week I got in some extra riding. I rode over my age (62) 4 times, 64, 71, 65, and 66 miles

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbf73 View Post
    I did it too and it got real hot to the point where I overheated a bit and bonked out in the wilderness past Young America. A little rest and I was able to finish the 100. Thought I was in better shape than last year, felt worse and averaged exactly the same.
    I think it was quite a bit hotter than last year -- it felt that way to me, anyway. I enjoyed the route change. It took me to a few places I hadn't been before. The volunteers really make that event. It's one of the best supported rides I've ever been on. We've managed to do it every year!

My Bikes
    A blue one and a white one
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I told the wife last night that I'm gonna do a "ride my age" ride for my birthday this year. So, I'm going to go do 58 miles (or more) on the Greenbrier River Trail a week from this coming Saturday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, some of you really put on the miles. I am really impressed with your numbers. I did 45 miles today in the wind and hills, just trying to get into shape for my 64 mile ride on my 64th birthday next month. It will be an accomplishment for me. I see I have a long way to go to be able to ride like most of you guys, but I'll just keep plugging.

My Bikes
    Byron,Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode my age (62) daily for the past five days. 3 loaded with camping gear, broken by two just exploring locally along the way. It was great.

Marc
    Read Simply Cycle

"I can still do everything I used to, but now I'm mature enough to take a nap without being told." - Me

"You don't deteriorate from age,you age from deterioration" --Joe Weider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
    My birthday ride last month was uneventful and my only ride over 50 miles this year. A thread would have been boring. For some reason 35-50 mile rides are as long as I want this year.
    Yup, pretty much describes my riding this year. Birthday ride on Friday was only 50 miles (8 miles short), longest of the year so far. Finding it harder to get away for anything longer. Most rides are in the 20 - 40 mile range before work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12