Thread: Step-Through?

My Bikes
    Trek 820
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger99 View Post
    I took my wife to the LBS to look for replacement fenders for her cheap box store cruiser on the weekend. She spotted this midnight blue satin finished Electra and was intrigued. One lap around the large parking lot and I knew she was sold. Two more laps and I was wondering if she would get off the bike long enough to make the purchase. Been riding all weekend. Still waiting on my turn to try it out. She is raving about the comfort.

Beautiful! I love the satin finish.
    sharon

My Bikes
    Me: Trek 7.2 FX Disc, Pinarello Rokh Her: Electra Townie 3i
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ To tell you the truth, she bought it, so I don't know the precise number. I know that there were a couple Electras that the sales guy showed us with prices quoted in the CDN$600 - $700 range, and I know she got 10% off the bike itself and a few accessories that she picked up, but I don't know the exact starting point.

If I get home first tonight, I'll be sneaking this out for a nice easy ride.
    @linnefaulk - thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BGBeck View Post
    Since money is an issue, may I ask, what did it set you back?
    Your location says SoCal. If you're near LA, there's a 21-speed Townie on eBay ending in four days, currently at $217. Might not go too much higher since it's pickup only in Cypress, no shipping.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had to guess, I'd say the winning bid will stay below $400, maybe $450 worst case, based on previous auctions. Don't know if that's too rich for your blood. Don't get in a bidding war. It's not worth more than that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have ridden many vintage step through bicycles, they always feel small and cramped to me.
    I am 5' 9"
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Bikes
    1976 SuperCycle Excalibur,1980 Raleigh Record, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2010 Giant Cypress, 2012 Giant Halfway Folder
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My "step thru" is pretty speedy.
    We are what we reflect. We are the changes that we bring to this world. Ride often. -Geo.-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's also a step-through 2013 7-speed Townie near Cienega listed for $350 on Craigslist.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may have more luck listing your bike on Craigslist. $300 might be more than that's worth.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Higher end bikes hold their resale value a bit better. The lower end is flooded with competition. Sort of like how PCs can be bought dirt cheap after a few years while Macs still command good prices after the same interval.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See how much you can get that 21-speed Townie on eBay for. If you can get it for $350, then ponying up $100 over the sale price of your Trek would be a decent deal. As Jaeger wrote above, crank forward bikes are quite comfortable and fun. $100 is a low price for enjoying bicycling more. Since the seat is basically at butt height, getting on and off is pretty easy. If you can swing a leg even just a little bit up over the back wheel, you're good to go.

Gearhead
    My Bikes
    1982 Schwinn Sidewinder, 1993 Schwinn Mesa GTX, 1992 Specialized Crossroads, 1986 Giant RS 930, 1984 Giant Rincon, 1978 Schwinn Le Tour, 1986 Bianchi Town Bike, 1984 Univega Sport, 1989 Univega Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a bad hip, so I really love Mixte frames. A Mixte frame is not a 'girls' bike. Girls frames have just one downtube going to the bottom bracket and are very weak. They were originally made for women to be able to ride wearing a skirt, without flashing to much...charm, shall we say. A Mixte frame is two tubes, just like a diamond frame, only the top tube has a less acute angle, allowing you to 'step-through' rather than climbing over. They are just as strong as a standard diamond frame, and only a little less stiff. Unless you are a racer, you won't mind the difference.

I have a Giant Rincon with a Mixte frame that I love for riding in town. It makes life in the saddle a lot easier for an old coot like me......
    Last edited by Schwinnhund; 07-23-14 at 05:31 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So did you get a bike? I notice the Electra on eBay sold for only $327.

My Bikes
    1976 SuperCycle Excalibur,1980 Raleigh Record, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2010 Giant Cypress, 2012 Giant Halfway Folder
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BGBeck View Post
    No, I made a bid before I left for a memorial service. But didn't make it back home before the auction ended like I thought I would. I helped the woman's daughter collect up the flowers and cards, and it took longer that I thought it would.
    I ran across another Ebay local though: Raleigh Record Ace Mixte Free Pick Up Nottingham New England | eBay
    What do you think?
    I like it. I'm building up a similar 1976 Record Mixte as a 5speed for my self. I sold a similar Raleigh a few weeks ago for $180. It looks like a 21" frame.
    We are what we reflect. We are the changes that we bring to this world. Ride often. -Geo.-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It won't be as comfortable as a crank forward and you won't get the safety of being able to put your feet down without getting off the saddle, but it's your choice to make if entry/exit ease is your priority. Just be careful with these vintage bikes. They may have mechanical problems which can increase the time and cost of getting it on the road. That's based on the assumption that being a casual cyclist, you don't have the skills, tools and spare parts to rebuild and repair your own bike like browngw.

It looks like a low-end bike to begin with. For instance, I see stamped steel dropouts rather than forged. Probably cost about the same as the asking price when it was new. There's rust and pitting on the handlebars and other steel parts. If you're used to indexed shifting, you'll have to learn how to use friction shifters. That's not fun, and especially not with stem shifters. You may need to take it to a shop for a full overhaul. It's like buying a classic Mustang that's been sitting in a garage for 30 years. If you like classics and know how to restore it into a collectible, it'll be fine. But if you just want a car to drive, it won't have the performance, emissions control and amenities of even a cheap late-model used car. No air bags, AC, automatic transmission, power windows, catalytic converter, fuel injection, etc.

In terms of eBay, if you won't be there to bid at the end, bid the highest amount you're willing to pay, not just enough to beat the current bidders.
    Last edited by streetstomper; 07-27-14 at 08:03 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are decent candidates:

http://losangeles.en.craigslist.org/...587738123.html

Looks like a good, stiff aluminum frame, so no risk of rust. Check under the rubber boots on the suspension fork, since the stanchions are probably chromed steel and there may be rust there. Make sure the bolts are tightened properly (but not overtightened) on the adjustable stem, since you don't want it loosening up and giving way at the wrong moment. I would Loctite those bolts. Looks like it has a suspension seatpost in addition to suspension fork, but no threadless stem. The tires appear to be smooth-rolling road tread rather than knobbies. Specialized is a quality brand.

WOMEN'S ? - - - - - TREK (17") - - - - - - ? Hybrid

It's a little old, ’90s vintage, but Trek is a good brand as you know since you have one. Kind of pricey, so see if you can negotiate the price down. Looks like a steel frame, though, so check it thoroughly for rust. When it comes time to replace the tires, get the widest that will fit for a more comfortable ride, probably 38mm.

http://losangeles.en.craigslist.org/...587841127.html

The light blue one. But the seller may want more than you want to pay, since he's cagey about the price.

SCHWINN HYBRID LADIES

Same caveats as for the Specialized. At tire replacement time, ditch the knobbies and get some fat road tires.
    Last edited by streetstomper; 07-28-14 at 12:19 AM.

No I'm Not a Pirate! Bionicycle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been an advocate/proponent of males riding "Step Through" frames and particularly "Mixtes" for about the last five years. Two lower back surgeries a left hip replacement and bad knees went a long way to convince me that the "Macho got to have a top tube" crowd won't keep me from riding for pleasure, or health benefits. Here's a photo of mine, since this photo I've replaced the front crank with a triple, and put new chrome handle bars and a different rear rack on it. I wish I could ride more often then I do, but it is one of the most fun to ride bikes I've had since I was a child.
    fujimixte5.jpg
    A bird can roost but on one branch, a mouse can drink not more than its fill from a river.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12