Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

ICE Bracelet or Dog Tag

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

ICE Bracelet or Dog Tag

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-14, 07:26 AM

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
Road ID with name, city I live in, emergency contact name and number of my wife and son, NKDA (no known drug allergies), blood type, and that I'm a Type II diabetic. Inexpensive peace of mind that I also wear when I'm traveling.

Cheers.
Old 07-18-14, 07:34 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,987 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I'm thinking I should get one that just says "I have the good insurance".
lol

I wore my RoadID 24/7 (why take it off)?

I finally lost it surfing last summer ... It is now somewhere on the bottom of Waikiki.

I got one of those plastic band models to replace it (very cheap, but gets the job done), and I'm wearing it as I type. The odd thing is that I always put my Mom as an emergency contact number, but she's old enough now, it made more sense to add my kids instead.

That was weird.

Old 07-18-14, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
+1 on getting chipped. All my dogs are chipped and the vets and animal control have readers. Now only if the EMTs and hospitals had readers.
Old 07-18-14, 09:08 AM

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, a MTN bike, and a road bike gathering dust

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear the bracelet from ICE Dot.

ICEdot | The Emergency Identification and Notification Service

I also have med allergies and blood type on the inside of my helmet.
Old 07-18-14, 02:43 PM

Bikes: early 80's steel 12speed, CAAD10-3 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks especially to the professionals for their input. I had never really given this much thought and while I carry ID with me it is on the bike. After reading this I just ordered a set of dog tags with contact information to wear while riding. I'll try the dog tags first since they are less $ and provide the same information. If I find I don't like them (or tend to forget to wear them) I'll consider something like RoadID instead
Old 07-18-14, 03:01 PM
Grillparzer

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nuke_diver
Thanks especially to the professionals for their input.
Ditto, I policed for years and this thread raised issues I hadn't considered.
Old 07-18-14, 03:15 PM

Bikes: All Treks - fitness and road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear the dog tag and bracelet from RoadID. The dog tag stays on always, and it has remained legible since 2000. Remarkably, the original chain has never broken.

I was told by an emergency room doc that blood type info provided on a medical bracelet would be ignored if a transfusion is needed. The risk is too great that the wearer might have made a mistake in naming the type when the bracelet was ordered. The ER would always test for type before starting a transfusion, according to the doc that was treating me. Thus, since line space is limited, I name "heart disease" instead of blood type. Other ER protocols may be different.

Last edited by SwampDude; 07-18-14 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-18-14, 03:37 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
RoadID dogtag when cycling or hiking. I don't think the teensy cost is even worth considering. This is not a cost issue.
Old 07-18-14, 04:00 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by SwampDude
I was told by an emergency room doc that blood type info provided on a medical bracelet would be ignored if a transfusion is needed. The risk is too great that the wearer might have made a mistake in naming the type when the bracelet was ordered. The ER would always test for type before starting a transfusion according to the doc that was treating me. Thus, since line space is limited, I name "heart disease" instead of blood type. Other ER protocols may be different.
If there isn't time for a type and cross, then O negative blood can be given.
Correct that there is no reason to include blood type on ID anywhere in the "civilized" world.
Old 07-18-14, 11:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Road ID on the wrist makes a lot of sense. Depending on where you ride maybe the best insurance is a partner. 99% of the time i ride alone and there's no cell phone service in many of these areas. Many times it would take an ambulance 90 - 120 minutes one way to reach you. There might not be a passerby for weeks or months. Be careful out there. Take a partner if you can.
Old 07-19-14, 10:12 AM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Road ID sounds like a good idea. Going to put that on the list along with organize my travel photos, take insurance pictures of my house contents, fix that corner gutter that's been dripping since 1998, and get a colonoscopy. Meanwhile, my wallet's in my pants pocket.
Old 07-19-14, 08:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dog tags work for me, as I got used to wearing them anyway in the USAF, but I like that more info can be added to a Road ID. I would strongly recommend never relying on your phone for info the EMT's or cops might need. Besides the fact that many of us password protect our phones, it's very possible in an accident your phone will be trashed and smashed.

Last edited by Gromit801; 07-19-14 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-19-14, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
My wallet stays at home. Don't want to lose that while riding. I've been using RoadID wrist bands for 7+ years. Don't know why so many folks are opposed to it. It works for me.
Where do you keep your emergency money and/or credit card and/or I.D.?
Old 07-19-14, 08:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I keep mine in an armband wallet. The cops might not accept a paper copy of an ID, if you're riding on publics roads, and subject to vehicle laws.
Old 07-20-14, 06:22 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by aubiecat
All the needed ID is on my RoadID wrist band. It has my name, addr, contact name and phone, etc. I keep emergency cash in a plastic zip bag in my seat pack.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-20-14, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by aubiecat

Old 07-21-14, 09:41 AM

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
just a story about that... from someone who was knocked unconcious and had to be taken to the hospital... I had my ID in my jersey pocket (copy of my license). No one ever checked my jersey, nor did they check my Camelbak (which contained my real license), Both were tossed aside (jersey cut off). My friend picked up my Camelbak, thank goodness.

Anyway I did have Road ID on my wrist - I learned the dog tag you place on shoes likely will be ignored. It saved me going to the "inner city" hospital and I was taken to the "nice" hospital because my Road ID showed verification of "good" insurance. It's not alot of money - get it in a bright color and wear it on your wrist.
What was on your RoadID to prove your "good" insurance? Was it one of the interactive ones or the standard few lines of contact info etc?

I have a RoadID on order with my Florida Drivers License # on it, in Florida you can add 2 emergency contacts to your drivers license file so I'm hoping that if I am ever in an accident that the cops will run the license and get contact info but of course it's also on the RoadID.

Last edited by floridamtb; 07-21-14 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-21-14, 09:57 AM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by floridamtb
What was on your RoadID to prove your "good" insurance? Was it one of the interactive ones or the standard few lines of contact info etc?
I just have a standard bracelet - my PPO [UHC] is listed together with plan and member number. That was enough for them to make the decision to take me to Hoag v. Western Medical. Once at Hoag they were able to run the information (I was awake by then - sortof) and I could confirm name (but still not my address).

Again what I have on the bracelet is Name and town I live in, my Insurance and member and plan number, emergency contact name and phone number. Hopefully that is enough to get everything started. My emergency contact then has a list of my medical doctors, family members, and other importnat information etc., just in case.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 07-21-14, 10:11 AM

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
I just have a standard bracelet - my PPO [UHC] is listed together with plan and member number. That was enough for them to make the decision to take me to Hoag v. Western Medical. Once at Hoag they were able to run the information (I was awake by then - sortof) and I could confirm name (but still not my address).

Again what I have on the bracelet is Name and town I live in, my Insurance and member and plan number, emergency contact name and phone number. Hopefully that is enough to get everything started. My emergency contact then has a list of my medical doctors, family members, and other importnat information etc., just in case.
Thanks!! Never thought of putting the insurance info on the ID, but a great idea. I might have to order a new tag now.
Old 07-21-14, 06:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting, and helpful discussion.

I have a RoadID but have mounted it on the bike. Every once in a while I ponder if that is wise, since I could/would become separated from the bike in an accident. After reading through this thread, I'll start wearing it on my wrist. I forgot where I read it, but based on a recommendation I also included my insurance info. As for photo ID, I carry an expired drivers license in my back pocket. I've only needed to use it once (getting through vandenburg during last years Solvang Century)and it worked fine.
Old 07-21-14, 06:25 PM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
...Trust me, all extra stuff is tossed aside... the paramedics can care less about the bike, your bags, seat post whatever... on your wrist - they are forced to look...
I'm going to have to change my thinking. I NEVER ride away from home without my RoadID, but I wear mine on the left ankle. I just hate "stuff" on my fingers, hands, and wrists. Totally naked, (except for cycling gloves).

On my ankle, in the attempt to increase visibility, I used a red strap. But, since I sweat a lot in the warm desert climate, the red die from the strap bled into my nice, expensive, white Castelli cycling socks and left a stain that I cannot get out. So, I switched to a black strap. A lot less visible on initial inspection, but if as you say, nobody will look there, than I guess I'll just have to suck it up and get a wrist strap. Maybe I can wear it loose enough that it won't "bug" me.

p.s. When cycling, never carry ID other than the RoadID. If ever stopped, then that is what anybody will have to accept and use. Only carry a phone if I expect to be in a situation where I'll have to call someone, (i.e., the "call of shame"). Hate it when people call me on a ride. Forces me to stop.
Old 07-21-14, 06:36 PM

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Both my wife and I have interactive RoadIDs. That way you can change anything on your profile with no need to purchase an updated bracelet. I also carry both our entire medical histories on a usb drive attached to each key ring and referenced on our Road ID profiles. Whenever I go to a new doctor or need to update info with a doctors office I simply print out a copy of the profile saves all kinds of form filling out. We also keep an updated copy of our profiles on our laptops. The amount of info in the profile is up to you but we even have our passport numbers there. So far it works for us as we travel all over the US and Canada.

Oh and we never leave the home without wearing the RoadIDs.
Old 07-21-14, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dalameda
As for photo ID, I carry an expired drivers license in my back pocket. I've only needed to use it once (getting through vandenburg during last years Solvang Century)and it worked fine.
You did better than some of the potential participants in one of our club's organized rides a few years ago when the event start/finish was on an army base. We had instructed everyone to be sure to have valid IDs but there were a number of people who hadn't realized that their license had expired. Not only were they refused entry to the base (and therefore the event), but the MPs at the entrance confiscated the expired licenses.
Old 07-21-14, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I've always thought "I've got a cell phone in my seat bag - they can get contact info there." I need to rethink that as I do usually ride alone in rural areas. Never carried my license as a bicyclist isn't required to have one.
Old 07-21-14, 06:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As an experienced ER/Trauma nurse I have one goal when you arrive in my trauma bay...keeping you alive.

We don't look at your personal effects, whatever we remove or is brought in with you is inventoried and sent to the safe. I might glance at a medical ID bracelet or necklace, but that's it. I don't have the time.

Your blood type is a mute point as I always infuse O Negative. Again, I don't have the time to type & cross your blood. If you need blood later, after admission upstairs, then you will typed & crossed.

Any issues with your personal information and insurance are taken care of after you get upstairs to the Trauma ICU.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.