Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cadence and drops

Fwiw:

I'm doing Tour de Wyoming this week. Constant pedaling. Most grades are 1-4%. I've done more pedaling in this tour than any other due to the terrain.

Even with the thousands of miles I ride I still have to concentrate on my pedaling stroke.

What I've observed over 400 miles this week is that if I concentrate on spinni g all the way around I can increase my speed 1/2-1 mph. If I go from riding on the hoods to the drops I can increase my speed another 1/2 mph.

This is on flattish terrain and keeping the heart rate pretty constant.

The longer I ride the more concentration is key.
    Ride your Ride!!

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still working on spinning smooth circles and not just stepping on the pedals. Good shoes and pedals are key.

I'm on the drops most of the time, modern compact handlebars help me stay on the drops. I've started to use an aero position with my hands on the hoods and my wrists on the bar with my elbows bent at 90 degrees. It's a functional position and takes the weight off the hands.
    Last edited by Barrettscv; 07-18-14 at 09:00 PM.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike
    1971ish Peugeot PX10: "Fancy Lugs"

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drops. Incredibly beneficial over a long ride. Saves on the legs for a given pace and as you pointed is measureable.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had always mostly used the drops when riding in windy conditions... on occasion.. during a decent. I recently got a new bike and have discovered that little extra ease when riding in the drops.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reminder, I need to be riding in the drops more often! Maybe laziness is the issue but I tend to only get on the drops when descending and then, of course, my spinning is not going to happen.

Will try to combine the two in the future. I climb with my hands on the top (mostly) and the hoods, but on short rises after a descent I will going into the drops, stand up, and power up the climb . . . so there's that. But I'm not spinning there either.

Will try to do more!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It takes me about 30 minutes to warm up anymore and then I try and spin most of the ride as well and yes it does help.
    Sounds like your having a good time.
    George

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    I'm still working on spinning smooth circles and not just stepping on the pedals. ...
    I think that is my biggest challenge to overcome, as well.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to spend about half of my time in the drops. There are a lot of benefits; hand position relief, more aero, changing positions in general. As far as spinning circles, I am now comfortable doing it in most positions, and it's easy if I can stay focused on doing it.
    As much as you paid for that Beemer [Mercedies, Audi, Escalade], I'm surprised it didn't come equipped with turn signals.

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to think about pedaling in circles. I seem to do this more on a climb, but I am not in the drops then. I have noticed I tend to pedal in circles more when I am in the drops.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The primary reason to get in the drops is to be more aero to beable to ride faster whether it is pure speed or surviving a headwind. Doesn't hurt to ride in the drops some just as a change for muscle relief. I can ride in the drops for long periods. I don't ride in the drops for long periods unless I'm trying to ride fast or deal with headwind.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drops? Aren't those when you lose your water bottles? <g>

My Bikes
    Scott Addict, Raleigh Rx, GT Timberline
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My heart rate drops when I get into the drops. I first noticed it on long sessions on the rollers. It is not as comfortable for me as the hoods but I am more efficient in the drops and go to them when needed.

My Bikes
    early 80's steel 12speed, CAAD10-3 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My neck won't let me ride in the drops very long...it's hard to look up for me. I am often sitting up as straight as possible unless I really have to exert...like uphill or into a wind or am trying to pick up speed for on a downhill.

I wish I could ride in the drops more if it gave me that much more speed

high above the pounding surf of Lake Erie
    My Bikes
    two seem to do
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
    Drops. Incredibly beneficial over a long ride. Saves on the legs for a given pace and as you pointed is measureable.
    I very recently finished a FG build, on which I installed a pair of old school track drops. Still fine adjusting, on one of my first rides faced a steady 20mph headwind. When I dropped down it really felt like I had a magic second gear. An amazing difference!

It may take some flexibility exercises, though. My hands are down at the tire top level. Cadence suffered with the severe change of position initially, but a few mental reminders on that same ride brought it back up.

Guess they came up with the drop design for a reason!

just another gosling Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think about form all the time. One would think that wouldn't be necessary after 70,000 miles, but it is. Maybe after 250,000 one can stop? Pedaling form and position are key. The longer the ride, the more important. At 69, I still have a slammed -17 stem. And if you think drops are helpful, try aero bars.

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
    I think about form all the time. One would think that wouldn't be necessary after 70,000 miles, but it is. Maybe after 250,000 one can stop? Pedaling form and position are key. The longer the ride, the more important. At 69, I still have a slammed -17 stem. And if you think drops are helpful, try aero bars.
    Try aero bars....they are my salvation. Without them I would not be able to do the miles. Too much shoulder and wrist pain.

Great thing about the guys I ride with is that they are very aware of my situation and have no issues with my aero bars riding. Aero bars add additional mph over drops and they allow for greater relaxation.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by North Coast Joe View Post
    I very recently finished a FG build, on which I installed a pair of old school track drops. Still fine adjusting, on one of my first rides faced a steady 20mph headwind. When I dropped down it really felt like I had a magic second gear. An amazing difference!

It may take some flexibility exercises, though. My hands are down at the tire top level. Cadence suffered with the severe change of position initially, but a few mental reminders on that same ride brought it back up.

Guess they came up with the drop design for a reason!
    A few years back when I started getting more serious about riding I one day watched the trip computer/GPS speed in a headwind. To that point I had just mumbled and struggled along in the wind. When I dropped down the speed increased by 2mph instantly. From that point on it was in-the-drops for as much of the ride I could handle regardless of wind direction. If you want to ride above 15mph at any significant distance you would find the difference quite amazing.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
    Try aero bars....they are my salvation. Without them I would not be able to do the miles. Too much shoulder and wrist pain.

Great thing about the guys I ride with is that they are very aware of my situation and have no issues with my aero bars riding. Aero bars add additional mph over drops and they allow for greater relaxation.
    Shoulder pain, where specifically? The worst discomfort for me is the dull aching pain across the trapezius muscles and base of the neck. Is this anything like you have experienced?

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
    Shoulder pain, where specifically? The worst discomfort for me is the dull aching pain across the trapezius muscles and base of the neck. Is this anything like you have experienced?
    About 2 years ago MRI showed right shoulder is bone on bone with only recourse being total replacement. Pain is the joint. Same with left wrist with fusion or total wrist replacement. Total Wrist Replacement Surgery

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
    About 2 years ago MRI showed right shoulder is bone on bone with only recourse being total replacement. Pain is the joint. Same with left wrist with fusion or total wrist replacement. Total Wrist Replacement Surgery
    Ouch, that's serious pain. Thanx!

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    Drops? Aren't those when you lose your water bottles? <g>
    I think it's when the recumbent rider loses his wallet as it falls out of his back pocket.

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
    I think it's when the recumbent rider loses his wallet as it falls out of his back pocket.
    Drop are the little pieces of water from the sky when it rains.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    2014 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 202s 2012 Scott CR1 Team, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jppe -- agree on both counts. On trainer one exercise is one legged turns, four reps of 30 left and right legs. Having been on road bike for less than three years, still working in full round stroke. Hope to get there this year.

+1 on drops too. Been lowering and have little more to go. Apparently I'm flexible even at 69 and LBS says each drop lower will increase speed. Worked on first two adjustments.

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been lots of threads about pedaling technique, and yeah, it improves but conscious effort is required even for fairly experienced riders.

fewer threads about the drops and aero position, but I totally agree with the OP. some additional points:

1. You engage muscles differently when in the drops. I find I use my glutes more. For this reason, I sometimes spend some of my time climbing in the drops. There's no aero advantage at 7 mph, but it helps to distribute the effort to different muscle groups.

2.some of us older people can't maintain an aero position for very long, but fortunately I can. I don't use my drops as much as some, but when on the hoods my elbows are bent and my head is down. It helps a lot!

3. When I'm pulling, I'm in the drops. It's just automatic. I sometimes wonder about some of my fellow riders who aren't so good at pulling, but are pretty much upright when on the front. Technique helps!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pedal with my feet. I have Trekking bars on the IGH bikes by the door, I ride the most ..