Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 07-17-14, 05:09 PM   #1
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Cadence and drops

Fwiw:

I'm doing Tour de Wyoming this week. Constant pedaling. Most grades are 1-4%. I've done more pedaling in this tour than any other due to the terrain.

Even with the thousands of miles I ride I still have to concentrate on my pedaling stroke.

What I've observed over 400 miles this week is that if I concentrate on spinni g all the way around I can increase my speed 1/2-1 mph. If I go from riding on the hoods to the drops I can increase my speed another 1/2 mph.

This is on flattish terrain and keeping the heart rate pretty constant.

The longer I ride the more concentration is key.
Old 07-17-14, 06:39 PM   #2
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I'm still working on spinning smooth circles and not just stepping on the pedals. Good shoes and pedals are key.

I'm on the drops most of the time, modern compact handlebars help me stay on the drops. I've started to use an aero position with my hands on the hoods and my wrists on the bar with my elbows bent at 90 degrees. It's a functional position and takes the weight off the hands.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 07-18-14 at 08:00 PM.
Barrettscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-14, 07:51 PM   #3
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Drops. Incredibly beneficial over a long ride. Saves on the legs for a given pace and as you pointed is measureable.
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-14, 08:00 PM   #4
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '14 Trek 1.1, '10 Fuji Finest 3.0, '98 Cannondale R500, '88 Trek 360
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
I had always mostly used the drops when riding in windy conditions... on occasion.. during a decent. I recently got a new bike and have discovered that little extra ease when riding in the drops.
Dave Cutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-14, 08:14 PM   #5
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks for the reminder, I need to be riding in the drops more often! Maybe laziness is the issue but I tend to only get on the drops when descending and then, of course, my spinning is not going to happen.

Will try to combine the two in the future. I climb with my hands on the top (mostly) and the hoods, but on short rises after a descent I will going into the drops, stand up, and power up the climb . . . so there's that. But I'm not spinning there either.

Will try to do more!

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-14, 07:05 AM   #6
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It takes me about 30 minutes to warm up anymore and then I try and spin most of the ride as well and yes it does help.
Sounds like your having a good time.
Old 07-18-14, 11:24 AM   #7
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
I'm still working on spinning smooth circles and not just stepping on the pedals. ...
I think that is my biggest challenge to overcome, as well.
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-14, 11:53 AM   #8
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
I try to spend about half of my time in the drops. There are a lot of benefits; hand position relief, more aero, changing positions in general. As far as spinning circles, I am now comfortable doing it in most positions, and it's easy if I can stay focused on doing it.
CommuteCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-14, 12:12 PM   #9
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
I have to think about pedaling in circles. I seem to do this more on a climb, but I am not in the drops then. I have noticed I tend to pedal in circles more when I am in the drops.
az_cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-14, 12:16 PM   #10
bowzette

Bikes:
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
The primary reason to get in the drops is to be more aero to beable to ride faster whether it is pure speed or surviving a headwind. Doesn't hurt to ride in the drops some just as a change for muscle relief. I can ride in the drops for long periods. I don't ride in the drops for long periods unless I'm trying to ride fast or deal with headwind.
bowzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-14, 01:54 PM   #11
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Drops? Aren't those when you lose your water bottles? <g>
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-14, 02:05 PM   #12
Number400

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 and T2 tandem, 2008 Scott Addict R4, GT Timberline, Raleigh SC drop bar tandem
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My heart rate drops when I get into the drops. I first noticed it on long sessions on the rollers. It is not as comfortable for me as the hoods but I am more efficient in the drops and go to them when needed.
Number400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-14, 02:46 PM   #13
nuke_diver

Bikes: early 80's steel 12speed, CAAD10-3 2013
My neck won't let me ride in the drops very long...it's hard to look up for me. I am often sitting up as straight as possible unless I really have to exert...like uphill or into a wind or am trying to pick up speed for on a downhill.

I wish I could ride in the drops more if it gave me that much more speed
nuke_diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-14, 02:50 PM   #14
North Coast Joe

Bikes: A commuter & a fixed gear
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
Drops. Incredibly beneficial over a long ride. Saves on the legs for a given pace and as you pointed is measureable.
I very recently finished a FG build, on which I installed a pair of old school track drops. Still fine adjusting, on one of my first rides faced a steady 20mph headwind. When I dropped down it really felt like I had a magic second gear. An amazing difference!

It may take some flexibility exercises, though. My hands are down at the tire top level. Cadence suffered with the severe change of position initially, but a few mental reminders on that same ride brought it back up.

Guess they came up with the drop design for a reason!
North Coast Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-14, 03:44 PM   #15
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I think about form all the time. One would think that wouldn't be necessary after 70,000 miles, but it is. Maybe after 250,000 one can stop? Pedaling form and position are key. The longer the ride, the more important. At 69, I still have a slammed -17 stem. And if you think drops are helpful, try aero bars.
Carbonfiberboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-14, 04:50 PM   #16
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1982 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
I think about form all the time. One would think that wouldn't be necessary after 70,000 miles, but it is. Maybe after 250,000 one can stop? Pedaling form and position are key. The longer the ride, the more important. At 69, I still have a slammed -17 stem. And if you think drops are helpful, try aero bars.
Try aero bars....they are my salvation. Without them I would not be able to do the miles. Too much shoulder and wrist pain.

Great thing about the guys I ride with is that they are very aware of my situation and have no issues with my aero bars riding. Aero bars add additional mph over drops and they allow for greater relaxation.
OldTryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-14, 04:52 PM   #17
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Coast Joe View Post
I very recently finished a FG build, on which I installed a pair of old school track drops. Still fine adjusting, on one of my first rides faced a steady 20mph headwind. When I dropped down it really felt like I had a magic second gear. An amazing difference!

It may take some flexibility exercises, though. My hands are down at the tire top level. Cadence suffered with the severe change of position initially, but a few mental reminders on that same ride brought it back up.

Guess they came up with the drop design for a reason!
A few years back when I started getting more serious about riding I one day watched the trip computer/GPS speed in a headwind. To that point I had just mumbled and struggled along in the wind. When I dropped down the speed increased by 2mph instantly. From that point on it was in-the-drops for as much of the ride I could handle regardless of wind direction. If you want to ride above 15mph at any significant distance you would find the difference quite amazing.
Old 07-18-14, 04:58 PM   #18
OldsCOOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
Try aero bars....they are my salvation. Without them I would not be able to do the miles. Too much shoulder and wrist pain.

Great thing about the guys I ride with is that they are very aware of my situation and have no issues with my aero bars riding. Aero bars add additional mph over drops and they allow for greater relaxation.
Shoulder pain, where specifically? The worst discomfort for me is the dull aching pain across the trapezius muscles and base of the neck. Is this anything like you have experienced?
Old 07-18-14, 07:12 PM   #19
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1982 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
Shoulder pain, where specifically? The worst discomfort for me is the dull aching pain across the trapezius muscles and base of the neck. Is this anything like you have experienced?
About 2 years ago MRI showed right shoulder is bone on bone with only recourse being total replacement. Pain is the joint. Same with left wrist with fusion or total wrist replacement. Total Wrist Replacement Surgery
OldTryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-14, 07:32 PM   #20
OldsCOOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
About 2 years ago MRI showed right shoulder is bone on bone with only recourse being total replacement. Pain is the joint. Same with left wrist with fusion or total wrist replacement. Total Wrist Replacement Surgery
Ouch, that's serious pain. Thanx!
Old 07-25-14, 07:22 PM   #21
Road Fan

Bikes:
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
Drops? Aren't those when you lose your water bottles? <g>
I think it's when the recumbent rider loses his wallet as it falls out of his back pocket.
Road Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 07:32 PM   #22
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot

Bikes: 2 many
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
I think it's when the recumbent rider loses his wallet as it falls out of his back pocket.
Drop are the little pieces of water from the sky when it rains.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 07:52 PM   #23
Miami Biker

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 202s 2012 Scott CR1 Team, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid
Jppe -- agree on both counts. On trainer one exercise is one legged turns, four reps of 30 left and right legs. Having been on road bike for less than three years, still working in full round stroke. Hope to get there this year.

+1 on drops too. Been lowering and have little more to go. Apparently I'm flexible even at 69 and LBS says each drop lower will increase speed. Worked on first two adjustments.
Miami Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-14, 12:21 AM   #24
MinnMan

Bikes: 2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
There have been lots of threads about pedaling technique, and yeah, it improves but conscious effort is required even for fairly experienced riders.

fewer threads about the drops and aero position, but I totally agree with the OP. some additional points:

1. You engage muscles differently when in the drops. I find I use my glutes more. For this reason, I sometimes spend some of my time climbing in the drops. There's no aero advantage at 7 mph, but it helps to distribute the effort to different muscle groups.

2.some of us older people can't maintain an aero position for very long, but fortunately I can. I don't use my drops as much as some, but when on the hoods my elbows are bent and my head is down. It helps a lot!

3. When I'm pulling, I'm in the drops. It's just automatic. I sometimes wonder about some of my fellow riders who aren't so good at pulling, but are pretty much upright when on the front. Technique helps!
MinnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-14, 11:33 AM   #25
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 7
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
I pedal with my feet. I have Trekking bars on the IGH bikes by the door, I ride the most ..
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote