User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not too late to sue. he went for you. there's no question.
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like the rear camera caught the license number. Is it clear on the original video?

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also this is why you report being buzzed. it could save a life or a horrible accident like this. if the local Popo had a talk with this guys before hand he would be less inclined to be a repeat offender. physical bullies always escalate until major incident happens. very similar to serial ******* on college campuses.
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! That was sobering! So glad you are here to tell us about it. Heal quick.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't post anything else. Don't talk to his insurance company. Let your lawyer do your talking. Figure 2 to 3 years for the settlement to complete, but you'll get screwed otherwise.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy crap!

Glad you survived and I hope you heal up quickly.
    2013 Sirrus Limited SL4
    11-speed Ultegra 6870 Di2
    Magellan Cyclo 505 USA

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Metric Man, I am so glad you lived to tell the story! Man it made me nauseous to watch that.
    You were very smart to start riding with cameras. I ride with two Contour Roam cameras for this very reason and this event reenforces my belief in them.
    That guy NEEDS criminal charges brought against him and I hope you are able to sue the **** out of him.

My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was a pretty terrifying video. If the guy took responsibility (as you claimed in an earlier post) then it certainly doesn't seem intentional... unless it was something that went farther than he intended. Still, how awful. I'm sorry to hear of your injuries, but as others have said, I'm glad you're alive.

It's things like this that make me cheer for developments like Google's self-driving car. Whether it's a foolish prank or a moment of irresponsibility (out comes the cellphone), people are terrible on the road...

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Man that was a high speed hit. Since he stopped I'd say he was drifting because he was distracted by something. Looking through the glove box or texting or something like that.

Scary stuff to watch. Glad you're alive anyway.
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank your lucky stars, your God, or Fate - an inch or two more towards you, and you would've been a goner.

What can one say about a driver who clearly knows what he had done, yet drives on? Are there not multiple charges leveled against him by the constabulary, (hit-and-run at least) or is this just another wild-west Texas tale? (Don't get me wrong, I've visited TX numerous times and enjoyed every visit.) I mean, it wasn't the truck driver who came to your aid, was it? The video shows another driver stopping and walking back to you. What, did he turn himself in?

I'm trying to picture the conversation between the police and this perp. Too many absurd imagined scripts, best left unsaid. "I think I might have hit something on the highway back there..."

If you cannot sue for at least criminal damages and pain-and suffering plus medical bills, then there is no justice there.

I'm glad you're alive to tell the tale. Careful with the pain meds. I know you'll be needing 'em!
    Last edited by CrankyFranky; 07-20-14 at 12:06 AM.

My Bikes
    Dahon mu uno, Surly Straggler Black
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow what a video. Glad you are OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, how horrific, just terrible. You survived one of my worst nightmares.

Heal quickly and completely. And hopefully, you'll get compensated fully for all your pain and suffering.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is the most terrifying video I've seen since Rodan gave me nightmares when I was a child. Heel well, Metric Man. As others have mentioned, let your lawyer handle things. That's why you're paying him. Best to keep mum.

If I may ask, how do you mount your rear-facing GoPro? I have an extra, but have never run the it on the rear. Your horrific accident is a "wake up" call to all of us.

Note to self: NEVER ride my bike in Texas.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by volosong View Post
    If I may ask, how do you mount your rear-facing GoPro? I have an extra, but have never run the it on the rear. Your horrific accident is a "wake up" call to all of us.

Note to self: NEVER ride my bike in Texas.
    I use a RAM mount on the rear camera. Extremely versatile. RAM GoPro Camera Mount Kits
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    How exactly would a lawyer do that?
    Ask the phone company. If necessary get the court to ask the phone company.

Home School Valedictorian 02Giant's Avatar
    My Bikes
    13 Orbea Orca Bronze 02 Giant Cypress sx 85 Mongoose Switchback
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of observations, the hit was bad enough, what really pi**es me of, is the number of vehicles that went by without stopping. The other, he fessed up, but he thought about it for a bit, he should have been the first on the scene. There isn't any sign of him in the 3:00 give or take, his first thought was to keep going.

I really feel for you, hopefully it is a speedy and as little pain as possible recovery.

Fricken a**hats...
    We've got no fear, no doubt, all in balls out

My Bikes
    08 Trek Madone, 2011 Salsa Casserole
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just horrible. So glad you're alive. I can't stand to watch the video a second time as it was pretty upsetting. Did he hit your rear wheel and send you and your bike flying, or did he brush you sideways? It also looked to me that it could have been intentional. Best of luck with the heeling process. A miracle that your injuries, while severe, were not life threatening. You'll live to ride again.

My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't add anything unique but have to chime in on wishing you the best! I'm very thankful the outcome was not worse.

Best of luck with a speedy recovery!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 02Giant View Post
    A couple of observations, the hit was bad enough, what really pi**es me of, is the number of vehicles that went by without stopping. The other, he fessed up, but he thought about it for a bit, he should have been the first on the scene. There isn't any sign of him in the 3:00 give or take, his first thought was to keep going.
    Despite many here thinking this was some type of deliberate action, the most likely scenario was that the driver just wasn't watching the road so he likely didn't see the accident and given the size of his truck probably didn't feel much either.

Had it been deliberate it's unlikely he would have stopped.

Still negligent and driving with undue care and attention that should net a reasonable length driving suspension.

Home School Valedictorian 02Giant's Avatar
    My Bikes
    13 Orbea Orca Bronze 02 Giant Cypress sx 85 Mongoose Switchback
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
    Despite many here thinking this was some type of deliberate action, the most likely scenario was that the driver just wasn't watching the road so he likely didn't see the accident and given the size of his truck probably didn't feel much either.

Had it been deliberate it's unlikely he would have stopped.

Still negligent and driving with undue care and attention that should net a reasonable length driving suspension.

I have to completely disagree.

Either he felt it or he didn't, If he didn't why did he end up stopping? If he did, why wasn't he first on the scene? You can hear the passing vehicles as the OP lay on the side of the road, it isn't like the first vehicle stopped and beat him to it.
    We've got no fear, no doubt, all in balls out

My Bikes
    Schwinn 700c, Schwinn Varsity
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you have a rear view mirror? Or just the camera?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 02Giant View Post
    I have to completely disagree.

Either he felt it or he didn't, If he didn't why did he end up stopping? If he did, why wasn't he first on the scene? You can hear the passing vehicles as the OP lay on the side of the road, it isn't like the first vehicle stopped and beat him to it.
    It's a very simple explanation. He likely felt something but took some time to determine what had happened. By the time he/she realized what had happened they would have been a considerable distance from the accident site.

I'm not clear on what you're disagreeing with. Is it your thought that the driver deliberately tried to hit the rider and hurt/kill him but then had a change of heart and decided to stop? Sorry, but that doesn't pass the smell test.

Regarding the other vehicles that didn't stop, it's possible they didn't see the accident because they were shielded from view by the truck. Or they were also staring at their iPhones

rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't know the driver's mind when he clipped OP. That he did stop after does not imply that his driving was negligent rather than deliberate.

If he was buzzing cyclists deliberately, and struck him accidentally, stopping would be logical. Didn't intend to hit him, just to scare him, so stop and play it out.

An undirected drift in my experience is a smooth motion, sometimes a motion smoothly accelerating to the side of the drift. I saw an initial motion over the fog line, what looked like a correction and then a series of minor corrections. To me that implies control, which implies deliberate steering. It's possible that I'm wrong - I didn't examine the video closely. I'd bet that if you did analyze it, frame by frame and noting how the wheels are aligned, and the apparent direction, you might get something definitive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    How exactly would a lawyer do that?
    With a court order in the discovery phase of a lawsuit.

My Bikes
    Scott Addict, Raleigh Rx, GT Timberline
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see only two scenarios. Distracted and horrible driving or an intentional buzz. If it was a buzz, he miscalculated and it hurt you. What he did not count on is video evidence. Trust me, you are still in the glad to be alive, it could have been worse phase. You have plenty of painful and restless nights and some mental and physical healing to do. It may be hard to get back on the road when you are feeling better. Your life is different now because of this.

Driver should be charged with failure to maintain his lane and distracted driving. If deemed to be intentional, the charges should be a long list. I would get an attorney and be patient and wait to see how it plays out.

Good luck and heal up!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast