User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think target fixation is a graduation movement toward the subject. often on a straight line course. he came around that bend and pretty much as soon as you were in sight he turned deliberately toward to you. there's no doubt in my mind and i would find the bastard quilyty in a heartbeat.
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My deepest regrets and wishes for an excellent recovery.

When my son was critically injured in 1986, one of the first things we did was to contact an attorney. A civil suit was filed. 11 years later we settled, after two trips to the LA Supreme Court, etc.

Keep in mind that you may have the effects of this injury for some time to come, even lifetime. Your expenses may not just be limited to the hospital bills. There may be psychological effects such as future fears of bicycle riding and even PTSD. And it may take some time for these to show up.

Don't be in a hurry to settle, no matter how large the check is that they wave in front of you.

And, everything you write in these forums will find their way into discovery and a trial, if there is a trial.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-20-14 at 08:55 PM.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
    First - what a video! It is morbidly fascinating and horrible. Metric Man: I wish you the best for recovery and hope you're riding again soon, with little or no paranoia.

I'd like to preface my question with the statement that I am in NO WAY faulting the cyclist for anything. I'm wondering though if people tend to ride close to the white line? That seemed to be a broad, clean shoulder. I tend to ride closer to the middle or even edge of the shoulder assuming it is relatively clear of debris. Ideally, I'd like the high speed traffic to be able to pass me w/ 3 feet of clearance without drifting over the striped center line of the highway. If I'm close to the white line, they either have to pass closer than that, or move out of their lane - I don't like making anyone do that if not necessary. (If necessary, I don't mind making them do it!)

A lot of time, the further you get from the white line, the more crap is on the shoulder, so you have to ride closer to the white line, so it's not a cut and dried thing for me or anyone.

I don't want OP to respond to this because I in no way want it to be an issue in this. But I'm wondering where other riders default to - closer to the edge of the shoulder or closer to the white line.... and why.

I'm lucky that most of the highway riding I do is on a shoulder with rumble strips. I think they tend to keep the drivers from drifting inadvertently and also give me a heads up when someone is drifting -although in my opinion, there's little or no chance of changing my line to avoid being hit from behind, even with visual (mirror) or audible (rumble strips) warning.

All my best to you Metric Man. Don't take my question as a fault, just genuine curiosity about riding habits.
    Motor vehicles are limited to 8.5 feet in width without an oversize permit. Lanes are at least 10 feet wide on highways and IIRC 12' wide on interstates. If the cyclist is 1 foot from the white line and the vehicle is 6" from the lane divider line that is at least 4 feet.

Metric Man hope you quickly heal and are able to put this behind you.

Mark

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks - I'd never thought it through that far. I didn't realize there was that much clearance between the white line and a legal vehicle within the traffic lane. I certainly ride right near to the white line whenever the condition of the shoulder debris warrants it, which probably is more often than not. Sometimes in the traffic lane to avoid debris, although I really don't like doing that on a 50+ mph road regardless of how far back I can see.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric Man View Post
    Anyway, when I posted the video after I got out of the hospital a couple of folks mentioned that they thought they recognize the truck as a local "buzzer"....... I almost got the feeling the police and local paper were trying to cover for him some way.
    If this motorist is thought to be deliberately endangering cyclists by making close passes, hopefully an attorney can possibly find some complaints lodged against this person for making close passes. Though, if the police are trying to cover for this person, trying to find any lodged complaints may be difficult.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My insurance agent, also a bike rider gave me a third eye mirror, laid in the box for a while. Decided to try it, now don't ride without it! I often ride on four lane highway and as far away from the fog line as possible.
    A camera can only tell you what happened after the fact, a mirror may give you a heads up to avoid a possible disaster.
    Heal quickly, best of luck with getting compensated.
    Treks, 85-420, 87-560, 90-930,92-970, 95-930, 96-1220, LeMonds, 2000 Zurich, 05-Etape, 06-Versailles

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not diminishing the value of using a mirror, but I don't believe it would've helped in this case.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frightening vid. Good luck with your recovery.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    Not diminishing the value of using a mirror, but I don't believe it would've helped in this case.
    I do.

My Bikes
    Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a wide shoulder. No way he couldn't have stayed in his lane and missed you.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aubiecat View Post
    I do.
    I wouldn't ride without a mirror. IMHO, It most definitely would have helped if he had been watching the traffic. But eyeballing every single car on a road like that is easier said than done, and with a shoulder that wide, I'm not sure I'd have been doing so.

Damn, that truck was huge. <shiver>
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
    If this motorist is thought to be deliberately endangering cyclists by making close passes, hopefully an attorney can possibly find some complaints lodged against this person for making close passes. Though, if the police are trying to cover for this person, trying to find any lodged complaints may be difficult.
    Why would the local police want to cover for this idiot... Eventually someone will die, and a smart lawyer will find out the local cops failed to stop this joker, and the local police will get sued for enough to put the town/city into bankruptcy.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogster View Post
    Why would the local police want to cover for this idiot... Eventually someone will die, and a smart lawyer will find out the local cops failed to stop this joker, and the local police will get sued for enough to put the town/city into bankruptcy.
    I wonder why the article doesn't mention the obvious question ... was the driver distracted by a cellphone or something else? My guess is that he was.

Why aren't the police investigating that? It would be easy enough to confirm or refute by subpoenaing the guy's cellphone records. And if so, the DA charge him with reckless driving w/serious injury.
    www.photo395.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogster View Post
    Out of town cyclist vs. local prominent business man, if this city's good ol' boy network is like mine, I can see local law enforcement dragging their feet and making things difficult, though not unobtainable.

In one prominent bicycle/vehicle collision case in my state, charges would not have been brought forth to one motorist if a cycling advocate had not remembered a previous complaint filed a year earlier, since law enforcement had inadvertently failed to bring it to light.

Added: "The police chief says that this was not an intentional act."

http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/...ing-after-that
    Last edited by dynodonn; 07-21-14 at 08:33 AM.

My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Bacchetta Strada, Rodriguez Tandem
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I'm glad you had this on camera, I'm glad you are alive, wow. Quite a video.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
    ..A lot of time, the further you get from the white line, the more crap is on the shoulder, so you have to ride closer to the white line, so it's not a cut and dried thing for me or anyone...I'm wondering where other riders default to - closer to the edge of the shoulder or closer to the white line.... and why...
    Sorry to go off topic, but it is somewhat related. I ride where the OP rode in his posted video, (i.e., about a foot or 18 inches from the fog line). Primary reason is debris closer to the edge of the road. Highways like this are rarely swept for debris. Maybe once a year??? Of course, if the tarmac is clean, then I'll ride as far to the right as practical.

Since I started riding with the biggest, baddest, and brightest blinky available, motorized vehicles give me lots of room. I've posted this previously...before riding with strobes, (front and rear), only about one out of ten cars would pass me with enough room that I felt safe. After using strobes, the ratio has flipped and now only one out of ten pass me to the point that I think "Whew, that was a bit close." I'm a believer and now only ride without strobes if I'm in a group or on a MUP. When out and about, I've seen more and more cyclist using strobes in the past two years. Their use has really "exploded".
    Last edited by volosong; 07-21-14 at 09:03 AM.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ What are you using?
    www.photo395.com

rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
    Added: "The police chief says that this was not an intentional act."

Cyclist clipped by truck: 'I remember riding up the overpass and - Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee
    I thought it was strange that a town that size (pop 2600) even has a police chief but evidently they have a quite large police force Police Department

I Googled some news about the Bullard Police department and it's not pretty. I won't go into it but I wouldn't deal with them at all except through an attorney.

My Bikes
    Seven Alaris custom road bike, Trek FX 7.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by volosong View Post
    Since I started riding with the biggest, baddest, and brightest blinky available, motorized vehicles give me lots of room. I've posted this previously...before riding with strobes, (front and rear), only about one out of ten cars would pass me with enough room that I felt safe. After using strobes, the ratio has flipped and now only one out of ten pass me to the point that I think "Whew, that was a bit close." I'm a believer and now only ride without strobes if I'm in a group or on a MUP. When out and about, I've seen more and more cyclist using strobes in the past two years. Their use has really "exploded".
    I've seen a few people use strobes during the day, and wasn't sure why. If you don't mind, what light do you use?

I use a mirror, and the main reason is to check on cars. There have been a couple of times when I saw something iffy and just pulled over and stopped.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    ^ What are you using?
    NiteRider MiNewt 600 on the front, in strobe mode. That model has been replaced by the MiNewt 650, (and just checking, now a model 700). Just saw that Performance has the 600 for eighty bucks, (that's almost half price from what I paid). It is self-contained, recharges via USB, mounts on the bars, and in strobe mode, will last long enough for a century.

On the rear, I use a DiNotte 300R. It is also self contained, USB chargable, and I have it mounted on the seat post on most of my bikes. The Kestrel has an aero seat post, so I have to mount it on the lower seatstay on that bike. I had though about getting the 400R, but that model requires an external battery. The manufacturer lit says that the 400R cannot be used at night because it is too bright.

I've had complaints from drivers and pedestrians about the brightness, (and annoyance) of the lights. GOOD! That means they are working and I'm being seen. Be seen...be safe.

One motorcycle "ran me down", (coming toward me, passed me, turned around, and caught up with me), to ask about the MiNewt. He said he saw it from a half a mile away and wanted one for his motorcycle to increase his visibility.

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    p.s. Above is just what I use. There are many, many good lights out there from various manufactures. These are just what I use, and I am happy with them. The most important thing is that they need to be bright! At least 500-600 lumens for the front strobe. Anything less is just not visible. The strobe is what gets attention. Solid lights just don't have the same effect. And on the back, you can either purchase very, very bright strobes/lights, or fairly dim ones. Doesn't seem to be much in the middle. The dim ones are practically useless. The bright ones are incredibly stupid expensive. Again, the strobe mode is what gets people's attention.

However, since I noticed the profound difference in vehicular behavior with the bright ones, I am a true believer and would never consider riding solo without one. I consider it as part of the expense of our equipment for the sport we so much love. Love to the point where we place our very lives in the hands of the mostly uninformed general public.

p.p.s. More than several times, local sheriff and police cruisers have passed me, coming or going, and not a single one has said one word about riding with strobes in the daytime. I think they understand the danger we face.
    Last edited by volosong; 07-21-14 at 09:31 AM.

---

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dachshund View Post
    ...I use a mirror, and the main reason is to check on cars. There have been a couple of times when I saw something iffy and just pulled over and stopped.
    I use a mirror also, but mostly to see if the traffic lane is clear so that I can get into the left-turn lane, or go into the traffic lane to avoid debris in the "bike lane".

---

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by volosong View Post
    I use a mirror also, but mostly to see if the traffic lane is clear so that I can get into the left-turn lane, or go into the traffic lane to avoid debris in the "bike lane".
    I check mine constantly. And I've seen drivers nosing over into the shoulder, staring at their cellphone. I haven't had to bail out yet, but one of these days ...

It's no panacea, tho ... I occasionally get surprised by an approaching auto, particularly on windy days or busy roads.

I think I'm getting one of those superbright rear lights. I don't see any negatives to it.
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Video has gone viral. I just saw it on Facebook. Can't wait to see what idiotic responses it draws from all sides.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Video has gone viral. I just saw it on Facebook. Can't wait to see what idiotic responses it draws from all sides.
    Trust me ... you can wait.

The best so far is the "this is why we need more bike lanes" strain of idiotic comments. As if painting the words "BIKE LANE" to the right of the fog line would have magically held the truck at bay.
    www.photo395.com

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast