Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2014 Giant Escape 1, Junk Walmart Job - Mongoose DXR mountain bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dicktill View Post
    The fly6 looks like it works great, and the video is very clear.
    I could not read a single thing on anything that had letters or numbers including the license plates of the cars going by. Not a very clear video in my eyes, especially one for the purpose of recording an accident with a bicycle.
    Ride no faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gforeman View Post
    Anyone know what the record time is as far as battery life and memory on the FLY6 ?
    I think I read on the web site that recording time is 5 hours. It comes with a 8Gb card, but I assume a 16 or 32 would work fine.

Only took a quick look yesterday at DCRainMaker's site talking about the FLY6. Just my initial impression, but I don't think I would want to use that device because the output lumins is not very high. To me, the brighter, the better. Bright enough to be annoying to those behind me.

About recording over previously recorded video... if the FLY6 is like every other type of SD card based recording system, new video will NOT overwrite files on the card. Instead, your camera will just shut off because there is no space available. The FLY 6 comes with a 8 gig card. That's big enough that your battery will die before you run out of space, (assuming you begin a ride with a fully charged battery and a blank SD card).

Which brings up a question. Video drains batteries pretty fast. Are there two batteries in the unit, one for video and one for the light? Or, just a single battery and your light will be useless when the video depletes the battery.

All in all, the FLY6 has an attractive price point. I would just want something brighter. (I believe I read on the FLY6 web site that the next generation will have a brighter light, but not by much.) Problem with a single device that records video and drives a bright light . . . they both are big power consumers and a battery strong enough to give a decent usage time between charges would be pretty large.

Just my opinion. A dim light is better than nothing. Just be sure to use it on strobe mode, (during the day - don't think strobes are legal at night).

Quote Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
    I could not read a single thing on anything that had letters or numbers including the license plates of the cars going by. Not a very clear video in my eyes, especially one for the purpose of recording an accident with a bicycle.
    Pretty sure the posted video was sized down for web delivery. Isolating a frame from the raw video with a little bit of high pass filtering should yield plate numbers.
    Last edited by volosong; 07-22-14 at 10:22 AM.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Fly6 will loop the recording once the memory card is full. Their site says the included 8 gig card will record about 2 hrs worth of video before it starts overwriting the earliest on the card. As for what happens in an accident, their site says, "...we included an incident protection function where if your bike is tilted over at more than 45 degrees for more than 3 seconds, it will trigger a footage cut off that will stop recording and turn off the device after one hour. With the included 8GB microSD card this would mean you'll have captured and saved roughly the hour before the incident and the hour after (subject to the device still working and having sufficient battery remaining). This protects the most important footage & audio for your use later."

My Bikes
    Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you're alive.
    Hope you heal well.

glad I haven't seen the video.

My Bikes
    81 Puch Luzerne, 90 Schwinn 684, Ridley Boreas, November Wheelhouse
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Positive and healing thoughts, Metric Man. Good you're still around.

My Bikes
    Too many according to my wife.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by volosong View Post
    A dim light is better than nothing. Just be sure to use it on strobe mode, (during the day - don't think strobes are legal at night).
    Came up behind a cyclist a couple weeks ago about 3:30 on a sunny afternoon and I spotted his brightly colored jersey at least a mile away. I knew what I was seeing right away as that stretch of road is popular with local cyclists and I'm always on the watch for them. We reached an intersection about the same time and I hung back as I was making a right turn and didn't want to cut him off. It wasn't until I made my turn and got within 15 feet of him that I noticed his red strobe. I was going to say something but he took off across the intersection before I could get his attention. I had my eyes on him the entire time and never saw his strobe until I was literally on top of him, it was pretty much useless. As to night time legality it would depend on your local laws but I run multiple strobes at night and have had several favorable comments from the police and motorists.
    Analog man in a digital world.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray Missile View Post
    never saw his strobe until I was literally on top of him...
    I've seen this before, too. LEDs will continue to work until the battery is completely dead; but they do so with steadily dimming output. It's easy to check that it's blinking and assume it's OK.

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute, Cannondale CAAD10
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
    The 8.5' limit is for the BODY of the vehicle. People forget that mirrors extend out another 6" to 2'. The mirror very often causes the impact.
    In 3 of my 4 incidents with cars over the last 30 years, it's been mirrors that tagged me, 2 of those were LEO's . The 4 was t-bone into a left turner. I've been lucky in that only two of these resulting in me on the pavement, the other two were just some nasty bruises.

Using mirrors on the bike is a good thing, but it has to be part of the normal scan, if you are looking in the mirror you aren't watching what is in front of you. In some motorcycle safety courses and combat pilot training they teach the same concept, and it applies to us as cyclist. Threat assessment. Scan, Evaluate, Prepare, Act, Repeat. Always know what is around you, but even that won't protect you all the time.We have to change the culture of drivers first, and that only happens as more people get out and ride.

We can get angry, but the reality is, hostility breeds hostility. So long as we live in the us versus them hive mentality, we perpetuate the loop. Educate, be nice, engage and help change the culture that makes it 'popular' to "hate bicyclists" or to "hate cagers".

I'm thrilled that the OP survived this, and is handling it as gracefully as he is. I just hope that we as cyclists can follow his lead and be graceful about it as well.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dru_ View Post
    In 3 of my 4 incidents with cars over the last 30 years, it's been mirrors that tagged me, 2 of those were LEO's . The 4 was t-bone into a left turner. I've been lucky in that only two of these resulting in me on the pavement, the other two were just some nasty bruises.

Using mirrors on the bike is a good thing, but it has to be part of the normal scan, if you are looking in the mirror you aren't watching what is in front of you. In some motorcycle safety courses and combat pilot training they teach the same concept, and it applies to us as cyclist. Threat assessment. Scan, Evaluate, Prepare, Act, Repeat. Always know what is around you, but even that won't protect you all the time.We have to change the culture of drivers first, and that only happens as more people get out and ride.

We can get angry, but the reality is, hostility breeds hostility. So long as we live in the us versus them hive mentality, we perpetuate the loop. Educate, be nice, engage and help change the culture that makes it 'popular' to "hate bicyclists" or to "hate cagers".

I'm thrilled that the OP survived this, and is handling it as gracefully as he is. I just hope that we as cyclists can follow his lead and be graceful about it as well.
    Depends on the blinkie. I have a Radbot 1000 & a Cygolite Hotshot on the rear--I've told that, during the day, the lights can be seen from quite far back.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

My Bikes
    2 Road 1 MTB
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bransom View Post
    The Fly6 will loop the recording once the memory card is full. Their site says the included 8 gig card will record about 2 hrs worth of video before it starts overwriting the earliest on the card. As for what happens in an accident, their site says, "...we included an incident protection function where if your bike is tilted over at more than 45 degrees for more than 3 seconds, it will trigger a footage cut off that will stop recording and turn off the device after one hour. With the included 8GB microSD card this would mean you'll have captured and saved roughly the hour before the incident and the hour after (subject to the device still working and having sufficient battery remaining). This protects the most important footage & audio for your use later."
    I've gone to 32gb card with the fly6 unit.. I was only getting ~3hrs out of a 16gb card.. usually less.

My Bikes
    Giant Suede (Comfort cruiser - "The Rocking Chair"); Giant Escape 2 (700mm Hybrid - "The S.U.V."); Specialized Secteur Elite (Road Bike - "The Sports Car")
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of this accident talk has made me order a Road ID tag today!

* Road ID Tour de France Discount *

Road ID – Tour de France Sale – Save 15% off any Road ID with coupon code ‘TDF14′.

Expiration Date: 7/27/2014

Road ID Info/Order Link:

Road ID | USA's #1 Source for Runners ID, Cycling ID & Medical ID Tags
    Work Some - Play MORE!
    "The value of good equipment is usually worth more than the cost."

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about one of those RFID ?? thingies they insert under the skin of dogs and cats? If they were all inserted in the same place, it could be easily found by medical personnel and have a LOT of info on it that would be readable by some sort of scanner device. Allergies, address, etc.????
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dru_ View Post
    I just hope that we as cyclists can follow his lead and be graceful about it as well.
    Sorry, if this happened to me, I sure wouldn't go about it gracefully at all. The OP has his way of dealing with a situation such as this, and I have mine, especially in light to the motorist's incompetence, whether if it was done deliberately or not.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    How about one of those RFID ?? thingies they insert under the skin of dogs and cats? If they were all inserted in the same place, it could be easily found by medical personnel and have a LOT of info on it that would be readable by some sort of scanner device. Allergies, address, etc.????
    They'd probably have to consult a Vet to come in and read the device......................woof!
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a completely horrendous video. I'm so glad you are okay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
    Sorry, if this happened to me, I sure wouldn't go about it gracefully at all. The OP has his way of dealing with a situation such as this, and I have mine, especially in light to the motorist's incompetence, whether if it was done deliberately or not.
    Concur.

Not even one moment....

What is 50 miles of good road? Yes, I call it a very easy distance.

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dprayvd View Post
    Concur.

Not even one moment....
    No one should assume I have not pursued this any further. Counsel has been obtained.
    Last edited by Metric Man; 07-27-14 at 07:08 AM.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually. ©
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    4 Raleinghs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Metric,

Damn! Good luck on your recovery and take your time! Damn!

M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP, 'twas another poster who suggested magnanimity.

I feel you deserve from the driver a good deal of pay, and driver a good deal of loss.

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dprayvd View Post
    OP, 'twas another poster who suggested magnanimity.

I feel you deserve from the driver a good deal of pay, and driver a good deal of loss.
    Yes, I was posting with an iPhone and didn't grab the correct quote, apologies.

I just want all to know that while I hold no grudge against the driver, that does not mean there will be no repercussions from his actions. I personally can't keep bitterness and hatred in my heart against this man, it will eat me up. I have obtained counsel in Texas and they are pursuing many different avenues to obtain "justice" in this matter.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually. ©
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

Semper Fidelis
    My Bikes
    Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow this is really a horrific video of what happened to you. I hope you have a very speedy recovery and hope everything works out for you in the future. I have ridden the roads here in Texas for over 20 years and coming form Ventura Ca.the drivers here in Texas do suck!

I ride with 2 blinking strobe lights on back of my bikes, but imho rather lights or gopro it will never be enough safety for the rider as so many drivers feel they own the road.

gary
    "Advantages Must Be Pressed, Disadvantages Must Be Overcome"

My Bikes
    Trek 5500, Santa Cruz Superlight, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you are still with us Metric Man. Also glad you are pursuing justice. Heal fast.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's troubling that the police chief's statement seems to imply it would have been okay to hit him if he'd been in the travel lane. The truck driver had a responsibility to not hit a vehicle in front of him, regardless of lane positioning. Hitting someone who was on the shoulder should have added *another* ticketable offense, not provided the only one.

My Bikes
    Felt F55X
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG. My worst nightmare and why I try to ride on trails. I am glad you are OK. With that kind of speed, a rear view mirror wouldn't help you avoid it. You are lucky to be alive. I really don't know the circumstances of the driver, but I hope justice is fairly doled out. I see drivers veer on and off the shoulder a lot, and pulling up besides them they are either texting (usually) or on their cell or dialing and distracted.

I haven't read every response, but it should be in the police investigation to recall the drivers cell phone records in such a serious accident.
    2012 Felt F55X

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Metric Man, I'm glad you survived and I hope you fully and quickly recover.

That was brutal.
    2011 Felt Q620
    2010 Motobecane Jury fixed gear
    2010 Surly LHT
    1992 Trek 1200
    1977 Schwinn Le Tour II fixed gear

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast