Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Clipped by a Pickup

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Clipped by a Pickup

Old 07-20-14, 12:02 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hope you heal quickly and that the injuries were not far worse.
Old 07-20-14, 12:07 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
also this is why you report being buzzed. it could save a life or a horrible accident like this. if the local Popo had a talk with this guys before hand he would be less inclined to be a repeat offender. physical bullies always escalate until major incident happens. very similar to serial ******* on college campuses.
I do report close passes that severely endanger my personal safety, regardless of the cause. In this case, the motorist could claim " target fixation", but in my case, I've learned to train myself to lessen my chances of falling victim to "target fixation".
Old 07-20-14, 12:08 PM
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Because it comes so quickly, here's the last frame before impact. See what I mean about "an inch or two"? And he's doing 65mph, at least.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Final frame before impact.jpg (24.6 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by CrankyFranky; 07-20-14 at 12:11 PM. Reason: ooopsie
Old 07-20-14, 12:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by volosong

If I may ask, how do you mount your rear-facing GoPro?

I run with front and rear facing cameras, a lot of interesting things go on behind me that I may have missed. The main reason I run a rear cam is to video the moment of any impact, or in this case, to video a front license number since the odds are great that the front cam will be unable to video much of the motorist's vehicle after the impact, but there have been rare exceptions in other cyclists' collisions.
Old 07-20-14, 01:32 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Gromit801
With a court order in the discovery phase of a lawsuit.
Thank you, you beat me to the answer.
Old 07-20-14, 01:36 PM

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Metric Man,

I am so sorry this happened to you. Heal soon. I'll be thinking of you.
Old 07-20-14, 02:02 PM
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Metric Man
I use a RAM mount on the rear camera. Extremely versatile. RAM GoPro Camera Mount Kits
I've been considering a rear-mounted GoPro for a while, for documentation purposes.

Metric Man, The GoPro you were using had good resolution - which one were you using?
Old 07-20-14, 02:40 PM

Location: Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.

Bikes: Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JUST TODAY I got buzzed by a huge buss on Hiway 120 a couple of miles north of Oakdale, CA. That monster was SO CLOSE I could've reached out and touched it easily. I know that only a very small per cent of bike riders get hit in that fashion but it made me so DAMNED MAD!! It's a good thing there was no way I could catch up with him because I'm certain there'd have been more going on than a mere exchange of ugly words! Like many before me OP I wish you a speedy recovery. It is often said that what does not kill us makes us stronger, I hope that's the case in this situation.
Old 07-20-14, 03:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Louis Le Tour
...... It's a good thing there was no way I could catch up with him because I'm certain there'd have been more going on than a mere exchange of ugly words!......
Why I use video cameras, I nonchalantly go home, download and review the video, and report the motorist to law enforcement if there is enough detailed information to give to them. No ugly words or situations to get into, and a whole lot more gratifying and calming for me than just smiling and waving and carrying on like nothing really happened, like some on BF have suggested.
Old 07-20-14, 03:27 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
I run with front and rear facing cameras, a lot of interesting things go on behind me that I may have missed. The main reason I run a rear cam is to video the moment of any impact, or in this case, to video a front license number since the odds are great that the front cam will be unable to video much of the motorist's vehicle after the impact, but there have been rare exceptions in other cyclists' collisions.
Doesn't work so well in states that do not require a front plate though.....
Old 07-20-14, 03:35 PM
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Champlaincycler
Just horrible. So glad you're alive. I can't stand to watch the video a second time as it was pretty upsetting. Did he hit your rear wheel and send you and your bike flying, or did he brush you sideways? It also looked to me that it could have been intentional. Best of luck with the heeling process. A miracle that your injuries, while severe, were not life threatening. You'll live to ride again.
His mirror hit me above the kidney and right on the rib cage/scapula. The bike is relatively unscathed. In fact if I had fallen I would have been ecstatic about the damage. A small scratch on the SRAM Red shifter (left side) and some dinged bar tape. The real damage was to my Cobb saddle...and if you can believe this the bike club that embraced me in Tyler has a member that is a big wig at Cobb and they already shipped me a new one. Exceptional people and customer support there.
Old 07-20-14, 03:38 PM
Old Fart Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by loneviking61
Did you have a rear view mirror? Or just the camera?
Camera only...the mirrors have always been a distraction to me...but I think I may try that again.
Old 07-20-14, 03:43 PM
Old Fart Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyFranky
I've been considering a rear-mounted GoPro for a while, for documentation purposes.

Metric Man, The GoPro you were using had good resolution - which one were you using?
GoPro3 Silver set at 1080 30fps. You can record at 60fps but it burns up the battery quicker.
Old 07-20-14, 03:43 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Camera only...the mirrors have always been a distraction to me...but I think I may try that again.
Very good ideal.
Old 07-20-14, 05:10 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis Le Tour
JUST TODAY I got buzzed by a huge buss on Hiway 120 a couple of miles north of Oakdale, CA. That monster was SO CLOSE I could've reached out and touched it easily. I know that only a very small per cent of bike riders get hit in that fashion but it made me so DAMNED MAD!! It's a good thing there was no way I could catch up with him because I'm certain there'd have been more going on than a mere exchange of ugly words! Like many before me OP I wish you a speedy recovery. It is often said that what does not kill us makes us stronger, I hope that's the case in this situation.
When you get buzzed like that, note the vehicle number and company name or the tag number, the date, time and location.
Call your local police non-emergency number to find out how to make a formal complaint of dangerous or careless driving. Commercial vehicle operators know exactly who is operating which vehicle on what day and at what time, and they often do not like getting reports like this, see a bus is essentially a 40' long rolling billboard for the company, and if drivers are acting poorly in traffic, that can cost them business.
Old 07-20-14, 05:21 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
1. Glad your okay
2. tl;dr- made it to like the 5th post or so
3. Just in case you haven't been made aware yet- https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-s...bers-read.html
Old 07-20-14, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogster
When you get buzzed like that, note the vehicle number and company name or the tag number, the date, time and location.
Call your local police non-emergency number to find out how to make a formal complaint of dangerous or careless driving. Commercial vehicle operators know exactly who is operating which vehicle on what day and at what time, and they often do not like getting reports like this, see a bus is essentially a 40' long rolling billboard for the company, and if drivers are acting poorly in traffic, that can cost them business.
I don't know if I've been intentionally buzzed or not, but I've had some that were a tad suspect. And I've had the usual yahoo's who like to yell or blow their horns when just about to overtake. But I've never been able to read a license/tag number off the vehicle. A bus or commercial truck might be a bit easier (to get the company name and/or "unit" number). I suppose a pair of cameras would be a big help. How much do they weigh?

Metric Man: so glad it wasn't any worse. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Regards, Dick
Old 07-20-14, 05:52 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Holy crap. So unlucky to get hit, so lucky it wasn't worse.

Definitely see an attorney. Definitely minimize the internet chit chat about it until it is resolved.

Speedy recovery to you!

Old 07-20-14, 06:03 PM
Old Fart Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dicktill
I suppose a pair of cameras would be a big help. How much do they weigh?

Regards, Dick
The VIRB and GoPro are about 6.35 oz each.
Old 07-20-14, 06:20 PM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
I'm partial to these and have them on several of my bikes.

Sprintech Drop Bar mirror

or

Sprintech Amazon link
Old 07-20-14, 07:02 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
. I'm having my attorney look things over and see if a civil case might be prudent.
"Might"? No might involved. With the extent of your injuries, you should open a claim with his insurer. You probably won't have to bring a civil suit in court. Broken bones and ribs, along with a collapsed lung, you're looking at a nice pain and suffering award on top of your medical expenses, and any lost wages if you were out of work.

As far as posting about it goes, the insurance company will be bound by the police's accident report and your Go Pro footage. They aren't in a position to dispute liability. You were struck from behind, and a driver is almost always responsible for striking a vehicle of any kind, or a pedestrian, from the rear. The only issue here is damages, and I wouldn't post anything about how you feel, or anything about the nature of your injuries beyond what you said already. Your hospital and follow up records will also speak for themselves, but there is the issue of pain and suffering. And don't speak to any adjusters. If one contacts you, tell them that you are represented by an attorney. That should end the conversation right then and there. Let your lawyer handle the demand for damages.
Old 07-20-14, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
First - what a video! It is morbidly fascinating and horrible. Metric Man: I wish you the best for recovery and hope you're riding again soon, with little or no paranoia.

I'd like to preface my question with the statement that I am in NO WAY faulting the cyclist for anything. I'm wondering though if people tend to ride close to the white line? That seemed to be a broad, clean shoulder. I tend to ride closer to the middle or even edge of the shoulder assuming it is relatively clear of debris. Ideally, I'd like the high speed traffic to be able to pass me w/ 3 feet of clearance without drifting over the striped center line of the highway. If I'm close to the white line, they either have to pass closer than that, or move out of their lane - I don't like making anyone do that if not necessary. (If necessary, I don't mind making them do it!)

A lot of time, the further you get from the white line, the more crap is on the shoulder, so you have to ride closer to the white line, so it's not a cut and dried thing for me or anyone.

I don't want OP to respond to this because I in no way want it to be an issue in this. But I'm wondering where other riders default to - closer to the edge of the shoulder or closer to the white line.... and why.

I'm lucky that most of the highway riding I do is on a shoulder with rumble strips. I think they tend to keep the drivers from drifting inadvertently and also give me a heads up when someone is drifting -although in my opinion, there's little or no chance of changing my line to avoid being hit from behind, even with visual (mirror) or audible (rumble strips) warning.

All my best to you Metric Man. Don't take my question as a fault, just genuine curiosity about riding habits.
Old 07-20-14, 07:19 PM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
>>Did you have a rear view mirror? Or just the camera?

>Camera only...the mirrors have always been a distraction to me...but I think I may try that again.

I ride in that situation (along the highway) very frequently and I have a helmet mirror, but I rarely check to watch a car approach me. It would be a different experience if I checked each when I heard it coming, and I just don't do it.

Sometimes I'll look back (with the mirror) if I hear a big truck coming, and sometimes I listen to hear if the vehicle changes lanes (the tires make noise as they go over the raised lane markers), but I have to admit that I'm usually oblivious to the cars. I ride on road like that about two hours per week.

Thanks for posting it.
Old 07-20-14, 08:02 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dicktill
I don't know if I've been intentionally buzzed or not, but I've had some that were a tad suspect. And I've had the usual yahoo's who like to yell or blow their horns when just about to overtake. But I've never been able to read a license/tag number off the vehicle. A bus or commercial truck might be a bit easier (to get the company name and/or "unit" number). I suppose a pair of cameras would be a big help. How much do they weigh?

Metric Man: so glad it wasn't any worse. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Regards, Dick
With yahoos, it's not worth pursuing, with COMMERCIAL vehicles, it's different, operators should be trained better, and more aware of the size of their vehicle. I get passed by transit (TTC) buses ALL the time, and drivers always change lanes, and if they can't change lanes, they slow right down and stay behind.

Cameras range from small to tiny, and their capture capability is always getting better. Just thinking, I wonder if a great unit would be a bicycle computer that has a 4" diagonal screen where a pair of micro cameras can be plugged into it. One camera faces forwards, one backwards, and the screen shows the rear video feed with the computer display overlaying it, with the ability to record the video feeds to an SD card. Cameras in that case could be much smaller, not much bigger then a watch battery.
Old 07-20-14, 08:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wogster
Doesn't work so well in states that do not require a front plate though.....
That is for sure, but at the very least, it takes most of the guess work out what type of vehicle, color, and who possibly was at fault for the collision. There was one very rare occurrence that a cyclist's hi def front camera caught a motorist's rear plate as the cyclist was crashing to the ground, leading to the motorist's arrest for hit and run.

Last edited by dynodonn; 07-20-14 at 08:07 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.