Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   A very special day (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/961309-very-special-day.html)

bruce19 07-24-14 07:05 AM

A very special day

Yesterday was one year since the crash I've written about here previously. I sent this email out to friends and cycling club members and just thought I would share it with this group of friends many of whom have been supportive of me. Thank you.

"It's been one year since I crashed. Crashed and broke my neck. For reasons unknown to me I am not dead or paralyzed. Today is a day to celebrate. A celebration of renewal. So, this morning I went off on a ride to my favorite donut shop. A chocolate donut and a cup of black coffee and 17 miles on my bicycle. Finally a guilt-free donut. Later Vicki and I joined our Wednesday ride and did another 30 miles with a strong group of riders. For both rides I averaged 15 mph. Only cyclists, especially cyclists approaching age 70, will understand why that matters.

Afterwards Vicki and I went out to dinner. Later I sat out on the porch in a rocking chair with a Bushmill's and a cigar and began remembering. A crash for unknown reasons, a rush to two hospitals, a fusion of my cervical spine and a time of rehabilitation. But, that's not really the important part. As I lay in a hospital bed there were thoughts that filtered through my head.....when this is over I will be better than before.....I do not want to die and leave this sadness for Vicki, Wolf, Jocelyn and my friends....I do not want to disappoint my friends. As I was being taken to my second operation I had the distinct feeling that I could die and it was OK. OK except for what it might mean to others. But, I was at peace with whatever happened.

Then friends came. David and Melanie, Mike and WJ, Bob Douglas, Skip...the list goes on and on. People who make the planet a better place. Through it all Peter Hughes was there to stand with Vicki. She and I are forever grateful for everyone's contribution to my healing. And hers. When I told Pete how much I appreciated his friendship and comfort to Vicki he said, "She's the gold standard." Indeed she is. Whatever force of Spirit caused our paths to meet and merge is a miracle to me. Not a day goes by.... literally not a day.... that I don't realize how fortunate I am to know her.

And, I am especially grateful for friends I have known forever like Tuck and Chris whose friendship grows continually and new friends we've met through TCC and other endeavors. I was an only child of a single mother surrounded by an Italian family of many aunts, uncle and cousins. But, for me, my friends have always been "family." So, today is not so much a celebration of my rising, Phoenix like from ashes, as a celebration of what all of you bring to me and the world.

I just wanted to say "Thank you." Much love and appreciation.

bruce "

cicli_masi 07-24-14 07:12 AM

Glad to hear you're doing well. Sounds like you have a superb support system of friends and family.

rydabent 07-24-14 07:22 AM

Glad to hear everything turned out great for you. Actually any nice day on a bike is a great day, and in you special case you know it is especially true.

flan48 07-24-14 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by rydabent (Post 16969510)
Glad to hear everything turned out great for you. Actually any nice day on a bike is a great day, and in you special case you know it is especially true.

+1, and I'm quite happy for you on several levels!
Best regards

LAJ 07-24-14 09:32 AM

Most awesome.

Biker395 07-24-14 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by bruce19 (Post 16969473)
As I lay in a hospital bed there were thoughts that filtered through my head.....when this is over I will be better than before.

You were right! :thumb:

on2wheelsks 07-24-14 12:34 PM

It was not your time, you are blessed!

MickeyMaguire 07-24-14 01:07 PM

God Bless you and Vicki.

I am also blessed with a lady to whom I am forever in debt. She never left my side when I was diagnosed with cancer and recovered from surgery. I beat cancer, thanks in large part to my sweet wife. I want to one day celebrate our 50th anniversary together. I hope we take a bike ride that day. :)

linnefaulk 07-24-14 02:23 PM

Wow. Congrats on another year.

John E 07-24-14 03:47 PM

Bravo! Thanks for sharing.

Rowan 07-25-14 05:47 AM

:thumb:

bruce19 07-25-14 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by MickeyMaguire (Post 16970612)
God Bless you and Vicki.

I am also blessed with a lady to whom I am forever in debt. She never left my side when I was diagnosed with cancer and recovered from surgery. I beat cancer, thanks in large part to my sweet wife. I want to one day celebrate our 50th anniversary together. I hope we take a bike ride that day. :)

Very inspiring to me. I'm really glad that you were able to prevail and that you have the person who helped you through it to live with. I hope you have many years together.

jppe 07-25-14 07:03 AM

Great post!

George 07-25-14 07:14 AM

Way to go Bruce, congratulations. I like your average speed. I get a kick out of some of the averages I read on here. Being a older rider myself, I know how hard it is to average 15 mph.

CrankyFranky 07-25-14 07:45 AM

Us near strangers on BF are also happy and relieved at your recovery too. You are indeed a lucky man! Cheers, Bruce!

nuke_diver 07-25-14 10:34 AM

Excellent post, both in the writing and in the end result :D