Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plantars Fasciitis

I had a bout with Plantars Fasciitis several years ago. This season it seems to be starting to come back. From what I can tell some of the root causes are:

1. Cleat to far forward
    2. Heel box in my current shoe is getting to sloppy
    3. Need a stiffer shoe

Any other things I need to address?

I am looking at the following shoes

SH-RT82 - ROAD - CYCLING FOOTWEAR AND PEDALS - LIFESTYLE GEAR - SHIMANO

SH-R088 - ROAD - CYCLING FOOTWEAR AND PEDALS - LIFESTYLE GEAR - SHIMANO

Any comments on these shoes or other shoe recommendations are welcome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shimano makes a great insert with multiple forefoot wedges, when you balence your foot with the insert, your fascitis will go away

My Bikes
    Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Omega-3s in very high doses have a powerful anti-inflammatory over the long term. You have to ramp up slowly, but I do 10 grams fish oil a day and it keeps my long term injuries in check, both functionally and pain wise.

After a couple weeks, it's better then say 4 Naproxem a day...

Good for the heart as well.

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get yourself a boot to wear while sleeping. Holds the ankle at 90 degrees and keeps it from tightening up. It was almost like a miracle cure for me. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006L8MON6?psc=1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have\had PF in both feet, it's mostly under control, but if I wear the wrong shoe, for too long a time, the I'll have some pain.
    As far as cycling shoes go, I have had very good luck with Specialized shoes, both MTB(spd) and road(Look compatable). I would go as far as saying that when new, the MTB shoes where the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. I little fiddling with the cleat position, and I've had no real issues on the bike with either shoes.
    Of course your feet are different than mine, so YMMV.

Good Luck.
    And wear the right shoes.
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had plantar fasciitis before, but it was from running shoes. cycling always made it better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had plantar fascitis so bad I could hardly walk. On the advice two different people, I bought one of those thingys that you put between your toes when you paint them. It spreads out your toes. I wore that every night after work for about 2-3 weeks AND went to completely flat shoes for work. Plantar fascitis is gone...and has not come back in for 3 years and counting.

Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.
    My Bikes
    Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A podiatrist suggested a stretching exercise for me. He said to find a place where I could rest the ball of my foot and the heel could drop down. Putting all one's body weight (you may have to work up to it gently) on one foot and letting the heel sink down, down, down will stretch the Achilles tendon and the tendons on the bottom of the foot as well. It's those tendons on the bottom of the foot that get knotted up and inflamed. Stretching them makes the inflammation go away. I started off with about a fifteen second stretch and slowly increased it up to one full minute after several days. If you can do a full minute, three times a day, you'll soon start to get relief.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although cycling has never given me plantar fasciitis, walking on my heels (to favor my chronic Achilles tendinosis) has. I concur with the advice in this thread -- everything from anti-inflammatories (turmeric is great) to stretching to a boot or other nocturnal restraint -- and would add that Dr. Scholls or equivalent heel and arch cushioning shoe inserts have helped me immensely. I also try to elevate my feet when listening to music, reading, napping, or watching TV at home.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Ohio, Germany, Florida, West Virginia, and then Georgia now
    My Bikes
    Fuji Team SL 20 speed, Nishiki, Mercian 12 speed. Alan 10 speed, Frejus, Bauer, Morobecane, Schwinn, JC Higgins 3 spd, Columbia coaster brake,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I now use wide and flat platform pedals, Power Grip straps, and ...Crocks. Yes, soft foot gear. I can do a 200K brevet with no foot pain. Allows me to occasionally move my feet around on the platforms as needed. Here's a site that is revolutionary http://www.bikejames.com/strength/th...h-flat-pedals/