User Tag List

My Bikes
    4 Raleinghs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 and a Fixie on a budget

I wanted to try a Fixie but my only student with one had his stolen before I got to try it.

Found a 26 inch bike for $20 (good start)

A brand new, free crank set.

Chain ring $20

Rear sprocket and lock ring $24

Chain $7

Shimano BB $29 (I wanted to get the chain line closer. BIG spender!)

Retaining bolts and caps for crank arms Free

Paint Free

Grease

I took it for a nice ride. All flat ground no hills yet. I like it very much!

Next up: Brakes, tires and tape the handle bars. (Looking for a cheap donor bike)

Pictures when it's done (You will get a great laugh out of this one!)

Marc

high above the pounding surf of Lake Erie
    My Bikes
    two seem to do
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, Marc... if you had only posted this when you got the first FG build ideas. See, that's how the "FG Candy Man" gets his hooks into you. Yep. fixies are fun and can be inexpensive to build. That's how most of us started. I started with a 26" rebuild candidate, too. Same deal: brush paint, inexpensive parts, etc. I took the first photo's bike and made it the second photos subject.

sears austrian-german 3 speed.jpg011rtchrsz.jpg

It's all good and fun for a while, then you start Jonesing for higher quality components and Italian frames and stuff. Like me, and so many other lost souls, you'll be banging on "FG Candy Man's" door. The building gets to be fun, too. You'll be in over your head before you know it, taking bikes similar to this first photo and making them into the second.

$_57.jpg026rsz.jpg

I haven't found a rehab facility that did any good for me, perhaps you'll have better luck.

On a less tongue-in-cheek level, I've found that I if expenditures are watched carefully, one can wind up with a better, more personalized bike for half of the price of a new one (and know its mechanics inside/out).

Sorry about your new affliction, enjoy the ride!

My Bikes
    4 Raleinghs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe,

Nice bikes!

I'm already thinking of another build using a lighter frame. I'm taking the Raleigh Superb out for a ride in a bit to clear my head!

M

My Bikes
    4 Raleinghs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fixie done 7-30.jpg Done! It now has brakes and is even more fun to ride. The frame is a "Forest Ranger" IIRC. There were NO markings or decals on the bike when I got it. It has a serial number but I wouldn't begin to know how to decifer it, and I don't care. It's not too heavy at 32 pounds which doesn't matter much because it takes a bit of effort to pedal regardless. So far, everyone who's seen it likes it, a lot! Including my niece from LA who has a really nice fixie. Oh well, I like it too so..............

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Single speeds are cheaper , because you can just modify an existing rear wheel , the freewheel is 1 speed instead of 5 ..

fixies need a different hub with the LH thread lockring to keep the cog from unscrewing ...

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    Single speeds are cheaper , because you can just modify an existing rear wheel , the freewheel is 1 speed instead of 5 ..

fixies need a different hub with the LH thread lockring to keep the cog from unscrewing ...
    In my 40+ years of riding fixed gear bikes, I have NEVER used a lock ring. Even on the track, where applying any kind of back pressure would cause problems in a pace line. If you're riding on the road without brakes, yeah, fine, use a lock ring. But running brakes on a fixie actually lets you ride faster, especially on descents.

As long as your chainline is straight and you've tightened the cog with a sprocket tool/chain whip, there's no reason you'd ever need a lock ring. Just use a threaded rear hub (the kind they used to use before cassettes), preferably spaced to 120mm (126mm and higher puts too much stress on the axle, especially if you don't center the hub) and a track cog.

Heck, for road use, you don't even need track nuts; just use a QR. It can be tightened enough. Here's a picture of my Rodriguez fixie on a recent 600 km brevet, complete with QR's and a front generator hub. The track ends are reinforced with stainless steel plates, but even then, I'm able to get the QR tight enough that the rear wheel doesn't slip under load. The bag at the front of the main triangle holds a battery attached to the Garmin 500 so it will last over 24 hours.

2014-05-31 012 Cache Creek 600-Turnaround.jpg

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's Nice, in 67 years I've never had the urge to need a fixie Bike .. I even gave away a Normandy Track hub to my younger shop mates at the LBS..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 61, was going to build a fixie but couldnt wait, so I bought a cheap one slightly used for 160 bucks.
    Been riding it for over 6 months put over 1500 miles on it with no problems. I got another one that I traded for to a LBS so that one just cost me the labor I put into an old Schwinn tandem someone gave me. I havent rode that one much but love it too.

One day I will build one of higher quality, in the mean time I am having a blast on the cheap ones lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

high above the pounding surf of Lake Erie
    My Bikes
    two seem to do
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job, Marc!! I really like the color and lack of decals! I was very surprized it is a fixed MTB. The frame is facinating and offbeat. too! Sweet!

If I may make one suggestion, foot retention would make the ride much safer. It can be as simple as straps on the pedals you have on there now, or new pedals with clips or clipless features. Should your feet slip off on a downhill run, its like sticking your legs in a blender attempting to get them back on the pedals.

About the hub, IMHO, a counter threaded lockring hub isn't necessary for most of us. My black bike has one, the white does not. The only time I ever unscrewed the cog while riding was when learning to skid. Even if you use red locktite, don't do that without a lock ring!! We're not kidz on this forum....which of us needs a rear tire with six flat spots anyway
    Last edited by North Coast Joe; 07-31-14 at 03:26 AM.