User Tag List

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought it was April first for a moment this morning

I had to look at the calendar to make sure it wasn't the first of April. During a radio piece on NPR about bike commuting in Los Angeles, I heard a citizen motorist state calmly that she felt free to "buzz" (pass really closely to) bicyclists because they annoyed her. Her comment remained unchallenged by the interviewer, much to my disgust. A society which fails to challenge aggressive actions by citizens who essentially put others in physical peril by driving cars (which can be deadly weapons) too closely, is not truly civil. Perhaps the last decade of wars has made some callous, but to fail to point out that aggressive driving is legally actionable and potentially fatal to unprotected bicyclists, is in my opinion a glaring journalistic lapse. I already submitted my negative comment to the national editorial staff, not that I think that it would make much difference after the fact.
    Last edited by CrankyFranky; 07-29-14 at 09:32 PM. Reason: mumbo-jumbo
    69 Raleigh Sports, '7 Atala Record, '82 Stan Pike

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was this what you heard?

Shifting Gears: Commuting Aboard The L.A. Bike Trains : NPR

"It's like they enjoy taking up the lanes," says Jackie Burke, who has lived in Los Angeles her whole life. She says bicyclists drive her crazy when she's in a car and has to slow down for them.

"It's very frustrating, to the point where I just want to run them off the road," Burke says. "I've actually done one of those drive-really-close-to-them kind of things to kind of scare them, to try to intimidate them to get out of my way."

-------------------------------------------------------------
    BTW, it won't be long before this thread gets moved.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    2 rideable, 5. in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly she sounds like she is one of those people, of whom there are far too many, who seem to live in their own little cocoon and woe betide anyone who causes any 'disruption' to their little world.

She's had her five minutes of fame now so she's probably happy for a while.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post
    Sadly she sounds like she is one of those people, of whom there are far too many, who seem to live in their own little cocoon and woe betide anyone who causes any 'disruption' to their little world.
    Yeah, I call that "video game mentality". Some folks minds seem to have been rewired to think that bad results can be erased with a "start over" command. Real life doesn't work that way. A couple of seconds of bad judgement can seriously affect the rest of your life.
    My greatest fear is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was.

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how she would feel if a truck driver said something similar -- that silly women in cars irritate the hell out of him, and he deliberately buzzes them to intimidate them to move out of his way.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Was this what you heard?

Shifting Gears: Commuting Aboard The L.A. Bike Trains : NPR

"It's like they enjoy taking up the lanes," says Jackie Burke, who has lived in Los Angeles her whole life. She says bicyclists drive her crazy when she's in a car and has to slow down for them.

"It's very frustrating, to the point where I just want to run them off the road," Burke says. "I've actually done one of those drive-really-close-to-them kind of things to kind of scare them, to try to intimidate them to get out of my way."

-------------------------------------------------------------
    BTW, it won't be long before this thread gets moved.
    Yes, that's the one. I know, it might be moved somewhere else - but I figured that this subforum is where those bicyclists with the most life experience (which I equate with wisdom) hang out. Cheers, Dnvr!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you can maintain 30mph you are welcome to 'take the lane'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As bad a car drivers are, I hate to say it but there seems to be more idiot bicyclist out there.

I work right along one of the main bike lane corridors leading to downtown Kansas City and I routinely see fellow bike riders riding the wrong way, crisscrossing the street, running red lights, passing cars stopped for traffic or lights, riding in the dark with no lights, etc, etc. Pisses me off too when I'm driving and it's embarrassing being a fellow cyclist.

Don

My Bikes
    Trek 820
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in the left turn lane waiting for the light to change. I car pulled up behind me. When the light turned green and I didn't do 0-60 in 5 seconds, he pulled around me on the right and turned in front of me.
    He was a young kid.
    sharon

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alas, the problem isn't with drivers or bicyclists. It is with humans. And the sad fact is, each of those humans will agree with this... about the other humans. It's just another symptom of what I call the "Peeing-contest-ification" of our Nation, or even our entire Planet right now, where EVERYTHING gets pulled into a "my side - your side" conflict of wills, with no consideration, or even humanification, of the opposing side.

Things will be different when the Apes take over the planet... though probably not. After all, we're all just Chimpanzees with a weird prefrontal tumor in our brains!

My Bikes
    '98 Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979, Univega Alpina, Felt Little B@st@rd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kansas Don View Post
    As bad a car drivers are, I hate to say it but there seems to be more idiot bicyclist out there.

I work right along one of the main bike lane corridors leading to downtown Kansas City and I routinely see fellow bike riders riding the wrong way, crisscrossing the street, running red lights, passing cars stopped for traffic or lights, riding in the dark with no lights, etc, etc. Pisses me off too when I'm driving and it's embarrassing being a fellow cyclist.

Don
    When people remember that a car is a 1.5+ ton moving object and a bike is not, it will all become relative.
    And tell my mama I'm a hundred years late
    I'm over the rails and out of the race...

rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    I wonder how she would feel if a truck driver said something similar -- that silly women in cars irritate the hell out of him, and he deliberately buzzes them to intimidate them to move out of his way.
    Bingo. Or even walking down the sidewalk, would she think it's right for a big man to physically threaten her if she didn't step off the walk fast enough? Take a swing with his elbow on the way by, to teach her a lesson? It's the same mindset as far as I can tell.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have always had "road bullies", and we will always have them. It is just something that is embedded in the DNA of some humans. My
    favorite line from them, when reminded of the law, is "Well I don't care what the law says!"

Really? Oh good! Then you won't mind one little bit, if I swing by your front yard, and take nice large BM on your lawn. Hey, you did say
    that you don't care what the law says, did you not?

Alas, I'm afraid the very best we can hope for, is that these low IQ people make head-on contact with reinforced cement wall, thus
    removing themselves from the grand equation.

Was that too over the top?
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, Wizwheelz 3.4 trike, Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard the same story on NPR and had the same reaction as the OP. The NPR journalist is as much of an idiot as Ms Burke for not commenting on how dangerous and illegal her actions are. California has enacted a 3-foot law http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/......law/4244283/ so her actions were clearly illegal. My hope was that she tries this with one of the bike riders who records her infraction on a GoPro camera, puts it on YouTube, and turns it over to LA police. She deserves public shaming.

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And - no response from NPR. By this time, I don't expect one, and I also don't expect that the managing editor of the piece gets the message either, let alone the presenter.

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyFranky View Post
    And - no response from NPR. By this time, I don't expect one, and I also don't expect that the managing editor of the piece gets the message either, let alone the presenter.
    Give it time, since I bet they were inundated by a deluge of responses from similarly irate bicyclists... Did you write to the NPR ombudsman about it?

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ... Did you write to the[URL="http://www.npr.org/blogs/ombudsman/"
    NPR ombudsman[/URL] about it?
    I forgot that they had this - thanks for the suggestion. I'll sit on it for a week or two and if I don't hear from them, I'll contact the ombudsman.
    Cheers!

My Bikes
    surly LHT, paris sport fixie, trek 5000, fuji ss
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyFranky View Post
    I heard a citizen motorist state calmly that she felt free to "buzz" (pass really closely to) bicyclists because they annoyed her.
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Hey Cranky I don't see the words "pass" or "buzz". I read it as following close behind. I think you need to be more careful in your reporting. However, I am on board with calling this driver an impatient, self-centered jerk.