Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

6th Annual 50 plus ride. An official Poll, I hope!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Which Rides would you consider attending?
Boston-MassBike Tour (July, last weekend)
35.71%
Katy Trail Social (July 18-20)
23.81%
Denver Rio Grande (Sept)
28.57%
Las Vegas Gran Fondo (Sept, 2nd week)
19.05%
California Sonoma (Sept)
35.71%
Michigan Leelanau Wine Fest (Sept 14)
19.05%
Tucson (November)
28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-13, 06:44 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 47 Posts

We've had seven suggestions for rides next year. Vote for any or all that you would realistically be able to attend. Multiple votes are ok, I myself may be able to attend more than one ride if they materialize. Hopefully there is enough interest to justify 2 or three regional rides.

I posted the poll to last for 14 days, so we could give it some thought.

Marc

Last edited by irwin7638; 08-12-13 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-12-13, 09:16 AM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm in California (obviously) so I'm a bit geographically challenged. I could drive as far as Denver and I'd love to see the area other than from an airplane; would be a solo expedition since wife and I are not riding the tandem at the moment. El Tour de Tuscon is an ok event, but not all that scenic; it's an "experience". Las Vegas in September: some risk of blazing temperatures, but definitely an event destination.
Old 08-12-13, 08:32 PM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Well, this is good, we've had the poll posted for 1 day and 115 views. I hope they will all be placing some kind of vote after they have thought about it a bit.

Marc
Old 08-12-13, 09:11 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Marc,
I think the poll is a good way to clearly see which choices are popular. I also think that every one of these rides could be successful.
As in past years, what it boils down to is an individual(s) willingness to step forward to provide the necessary information in regards to creating a route, or finding a organized ride in which the group can participate. In addition to spending a considerable amount of time investigating the ride itself; distances, routes, amenities, fees, etc., it would likely involve providing information about nearby lodging/campgrounds, possible social activities, meeting up points and such. Some may find that a bit too challenging, but I believe that is how all previous rides came together and I am grateful to those that did for the rides in which I was able to attend.
Old 08-12-13, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...When I get the time, I intend to also record [the posts that begin the personal narratives and photos of all] those Rides on the sticky “A Chronicle of the 50+ Annual Rides.”
Done, and I even found the posts from the First Annual Ride, which I did not attend.

This anthology illustrates how nicely these Rides turn out, even with the planning as Marc described,

Originally Posted by irwin7638
... Let's have a little fun! Throw something at the wall!

Marc
Old 08-13-13, 03:42 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The only one I could possibly attend would be the one in Boston, but other parts of the country should get their turn too. Maybe two rides on different parts of the country so that more than one region can be easily served.
Old 08-13-13, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
The only one I could possibly attend would be the one in Boston, but other parts of the country should get their turn too. Maybe two rides on different parts of the country so that more than one region can be easily served.
That is what we are working towards, hoping for a get together on each coast and one in the middle.

Marc
Old 08-14-13, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
What about

My wife is not much of a cyclist anyone else bringing a spouse that most likely would not ride?
Old 08-14-13, 10:51 AM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I can certainly pull together ride, hotel and restaurant info in Northern California. I'm just not familiar with the rides down south (Socal) to know which smaller rides would be suitable for planning a weekend around. Can someone from Southern California chime in?

Request for Help in the SoCal sub-forum

Last edited by rdtompki; 08-14-13 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-14-13, 12:03 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I posted the following in So Cal - I am sure you will get other good responses:

Cool Breeze Century - August - from Ventura to Goleta and back. See cibike.org for other ride options.

Palm Springs Century - February - obviously lots of resort lodging and lots of ride options.

Cruising the Conejo - May - N Valley/Camarillo area.

Big Ring Century - June - Orange County. This was the first year and hopefully there will be a next (so its still very small). It's a nice route (one I do parts of alot) and you can't beat Orange County for weather/lodging/route options. More info on OC routes go to bikeirvine.org or ocr.com.

Do something around Big Ring - and I am your volunteer! Just remember few rides in So Cal are "small" unless they are extremely challenging and not for the faint at heart!

Nice thing about OC there are great options for mountain biking as well. I could set up a private tour of Limestne Canyon, Fremont or Weir if anyone is interested.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 08-14-13 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-14-13, 12:07 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shamrock
My wife is not much of a cyclist anyone else bringing a spouse that most likely would not ride?
Not trying to sell Orange County but for a non-riding spouse there is lots to do here. There are the beautiful beaches, great shopping, theme parks, good dining etc. And freeway close to LA and San Diego...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 08-14-13, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Shamrock
Boston is quite an interesting place to visit, with plenty of activities for the non-rider. Depending on where you stay, a car is not necessary to get around. The car then can be used by the rider to get to the start of the Ride, usually out in a far suburb.

BTW, Shamrock, I recall a recent post by you making inquires about riding around Gloucester, MA (about 30 miles north of Boston), and I replied to your post. How did that visit go?
Old 08-15-13, 10:23 AM

It looks like the coastal rides are getting traction, Sonoma in the west with Tucson a close second. Boston is getting good support and, in the midwest we are neck in neck between the Katy Trail and Denver. Remember, Retro Grouch says the Katy trail will happen no matter who else comes, Denver is a suggestion without an organizer at this point.

Marc
Old 08-15-13, 10:41 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique

Palm Springs Century - February - obviously lots of resort lodging and lots of ride options.

The Palm Springs Century and the Tour de Tucson are both good choices, IMHO.

They're convenient to SoCalers like myself, and attractive to people in other parts of the country, who'll likely have less than ideal riding weather at home. That's one reason they are immensely popular.

That Las Vegas Gran Fondo in September is interesting ... isn't it flippin hot out there in early September?

Old 08-15-13, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by irwin7638
...Remember, Retro Grouch says the Katy trail will happen no matter who else comes, Denver is a suggestion without an organizer at this point...
FYI, the Katy Trail:

Originally Posted by JerrySTL
The Katy Trail is excellent for hybrids, cyclocross, and touring bikes with somewhat fatter tires. Mountain bikes are overkill but would work.

There are people who ride on it with road bikes having tires as small as 700x23. I've done it myself for short distances, but don't recommend it. The Katy isn't perfectly smooth and you can run into some soft patches where skinny tires can sink in...
We did have about five miles (out of about 30) of such a trail on the Boston Ride this July, but that was because of the route we chose, instead of the metric or imperial centuries, which I presume were all on paved roads.
Old 08-15-13, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Boston is quite an interesting place to visit, with plenty of activities for the non-rider. Depending on where you stay, a car is not necessary to get around. The car then can be used by the rider to get to the start of the Ride, usually out in a far suburb.

BTW, Shamrock, I recall a recent post by you making inquires about riding around Gloucester, MA (about 30 miles north of Boston), and I replied to your post. How did that visit go?
We are leaving this SAT thanks for your response.I looked up the bike club you suggested.They have a bike ride-event every weekend spring summer fall except the time we will be there.I'll make the best of it.
Old 08-16-13, 02:59 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395

That Las Vegas Gran Fondo in September is interesting ... isn't it flippin hot out there in early September?
I think that's Viva Bike Vegas, held at the same time as Interbike, and not to be confused with the LV Gran Fondo that happens earlier in the year. I did Viva Bike Vegas last year, and it wasn't terribly hot. You start at about 5:30 in the morning just so you can ride up the Strip and see all the flashing lights. So most of it goes by in the morning hours. The featured rider at VBV is Miguel Indurain, but I only saw him at the Pinarello booth at Interbike. Didn't see him at all during the Gran Fondo.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...49701920_n.jpg
Old 08-16-13, 05:54 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Is the poll saturated? I voted number 38 this morning before work and now 12 hours later there has been only one more. I guess 40 folks is kind of valid, considering the typical 50+ turnout is not huge.
Old 08-16-13, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Road Fan
Is the poll saturated? I voted number 38 this morning before work and now 12 hours later there has been only one more. I guess 40 folks is kind of valid, considering the typical 50+ turnout is not huge.
I think you have a point, but I am leaving the poll up for two weeks which means it will end on the 26th. There have been 453 views on the poll and I hope some of the others will voice their opinions in the next 10 days.

Marc
Old 08-17-13, 06:46 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Suggestion - 7 "regional" rides - where, folks in the area or wanting to come to the area simply come together.

Denver Rio Grande (Sept)
California Sonoma (Sept)
Tucson (November)

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-17-13 at 06:50 AM.
Old 08-17-13, 07:14 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Suggestion - 7 "regional" rides - where, folks in the area or wanting to come to the area simply come together.

Denver Rio Grande (Sept)
California Sonoma (Sept)
Tucson (November)
In other words, they all have enough support theoretically to go forward, so just do them all!
Old 08-17-13, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Road Fan
In other words, they all have enough support theoretically to go forward, so just do them all!
Sure, Why not hold one of them if there is support and somebody is willing to help by organizing. I am hoping to identify the 3 most popular ideas and focus on those to have larger turnouts. I can see a bunch of us getting together in Michigan at the Leelanau festival regardless of the turnout elsewhere.

Marc
Old 08-19-13, 01:39 PM

So far this poll has been pretty interesting. The leading places are Boston and California (I posted Sonoma because several agreed the Tour de Fuzz was a good option) and after that the other rides all have enough interest to have a get together at each of them. We know for sure the Katy Trail Social will happen and there is an abundance of lodging and camping options in that area and a separate thread has started to organize the Denver option. This is all cool. The poll stays up for another week. If you've seen the thread and haven't voted please do, the more the merrier.

Marc
Old 08-26-13, 12:11 PM

Well, the poll is actually closed now. Boston and California came in tied for most interest, Denver and Tucson tied for 2nd and Katy trail at 3rd. I know we have people interested in taking the lead to organize Boston, California and the Katy trail, The Denver ride already has a second thread and I suspect the MIchigan and Vegas rides will draw their own contingents. I know nothin' about Tucson but we have a virtual buffet of pedaling possibilities together in the coming year. I expect to be in Boston if it is held the same weekend as this, will also be at the Leelanau festival, might make the Katy trail and even the California ride depending on the schedule, but hell what else do I have to do?

Marc
Old 11-27-13, 05:40 PM

We had an unseasonable 19° Monday morning this week, so I thought this would be a good time to bump up this Sixth Annual Fifty-Plus Ride Thread. The Boston Ride proposed for this summer is a reprise of the Fifth Annual Ride held in conjunction with the MassBike Summer Century & Family Fun Fest. The previous four annual MassBike events were on the last weekend in July. I called MassBike yesterday, but it is still too early for the definite date.

Nonetheless, I did sign-up for a few days off work around that last weekend in July; I was not able to do so last year. So here is a very tentative proposal for the Sixth Annual Ride Fifty-Plus Ride, as suggested for the 2013 ride; possibly on Saturday, July 26 in 2014:

…Here’s my preliminary suggestion: I anticipate that visitors who trek up to Boston would also like to visit the city and environs, as well as socialize with our compatriots. I hope to make myself available for a few extra days, from Thursday, 7/24, til Tues, 7/29 to provide flexibility for travel arrangements. So a tentative plan is:
  1. [*]
  2. [*]
  3. [*]
  4. [*]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.