Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soooo tempting ...

Check this out.

Amazon.com : Ivation BIKE BEAKON: Portable Rechargeable Rugged Bluetooth Stereo Speaker & MP3 Player w/MicroSD Card Slot, AUX Input, FM Radio & Phone Answering - With Bult in Flashlight - MUSTARD YELLOW - Perfect for Home, Office, Sporting & Biking U

Bluetooth connectivity. You can use it to answer phone calls. It has a light. It has a radio. It has a rechargeable (and replaceable) battery and will go some 5 hours.

Even this confirmed luddite purist is tempted.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I. Must. Have. It.

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had an infinite budget, there's no end to bicycle-related purchases I would make. Just this week, I've pondered wheels, a different crankset, an Emonda (thanks to that 10 lb bike thread...)

Not to mention, this:

Seattle News and Events | Seattle-Forged 'Future Bike' Wins Competition
    (You sort of have to watch the embedded video to get the full picture of what this bike is like...)

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crosstrail Disc, 1995 Specialized HardRock Ultra, 1991 Trek 1200, plus various others moving through my garage...
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool device, but I've come to loathe the on-bike speakers. There are a few folks at my local bike trail area that use them and you can hear them blasting their choice of music throughout the woods as they ride. I find it just as annoying as cars going down the road with windows down and music blaring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually ride my bike to get away from phone calls. And I agree with FLJeepGuy, enojy your music, as long as I can't hear it.
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yecch.

Tastes differ, but I find it really difficult to understand why people want to take all that crap with them, when they could be in touch with their surroundings. One of the things I value most about cycling is being able to tune out from all that stuff.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vic, you......PHILISTINE!

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, y'all are talking to the guy who didn't even carry a cellphone until a few months ago. I carry one now, but it's shut off. I carry it to make emergency calls if I need to.

$40 is in the noise as far as I'm concerned. The reason it's "tempting" and not "purchased and on it's way" is because I'm not sure I wanna head down that path either. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

The one time I've worn headphones on a bike was with a van following directly me on the FC508 ... and it was very nice for a change.

Interesting that so JeepGuy has heard so many people with speakers on their bikes. I ride daily on MUPS in the kingdom of the distracted, and I don't think I've seen more than a handful. And save for one person, I've never seen anyone riding in the mountains with one.

You've got to admit ... it's amazing that a device that does all that could be sold for $40.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Dahon mu uno, Surly Straggler Black
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It got good reviews too!

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
    If I had an infinite budget, there's no end to bicycle-related purchases I would make. Just this week, I've pondered wheels, a different crankset, an Emonda (thanks to that 10 lb bike thread...)

Not to mention, this:

Seattle News and Events | Seattle-Forged 'Future Bike' Wins Competition
    (You sort of have to watch the embedded video to get the full picture of what this bike is like...)
    Wow what a trippy little bike. Not for me but looks very useful for someone else's needs.

I'm gonna get me a cellphone someday.......I really am.
    Last edited by Zinger; 08-09-14 at 02:06 AM.
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount

My Bikes
    2008 Scott SUB 30, 1981 Miyata Ridge Runner, Dahon Speed 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put a small radio in a pouch on the bars about a month ago. (Sangean DT-210, with rechargeable AAA batteries swapped out once a week.) I listen to the local alternative station, quietly, while I do my morning ride. Earbuds seem unsafe, and I like hearing birds and the river, in addition to a quiet radio. I love it. If it bugs anyone, its only for the moment I pass them, and its still mush quieter than the conversations of the walkers on the path.