Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Shoulder Blade Squeeze for Neck Pain

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-13, 05:57 PM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Aches and pains tend to come and go, so it's hard to know if a particular exercise is the one that solved a specific pain.

However, I've been doing a shoulder blade squeeze a lot recently, and the pain that I've had right where the neck and shoulder meet, has gone away. Recently, I've been really squeezing hard during this exercise, and I think that made the difference. IOW, it's not a stretch, it's more like an isotonic strength-training thing. It sounds like it builds up the muscles so that there's more room, and less rubbing.

The exercise described at 1:42 in the video below, although the issue described is different from what I have. You can do it while riding.

I figured I should share this in case someone else is having exactly the issue I've had.
Old 06-22-13, 06:07 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Thanks

Old 06-23-13, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

This shoulder blade squeeze is great. It builds up back muscles so the chest muscles won't dominate. Also stretch your chest muscles before and after a ride. They stay contracted as you hunch forward on your bike.
Another good one to do after a ride is to lie on the floor and cup your chin in your hands (like a little kid watching t.v.). Hold for 1 minute, rest 1 minute, repeat 3-5 times.
A great little book is Treating Your Own Neck by Robin McKenzie.

Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Aches and pains tend to come and go, so it's hard to know if a particular exercise is the one that solved a specific pain.

However, I've been doing a shoulder blade squeeze a lot recently, and the pain that I've had right where the neck and shoulder meet, has gone away. Recently, I've been really squeezing hard during this exercise, and I think that made the difference. IOW, it's not a stretch, it's more like an isotonic strength-training thing. It sounds like it builds up the muscles so that there's more room, and less rubbing.

The exercise described at 1:42 in the video below, although the issue described is different from what I have. You can do it while riding.

I figured I should share this in case someone else is having exactly the issue I've had.
Old 07-11-13, 08:36 AM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's me doing the shoulder blade squeeze:

Old 07-11-13, 12:10 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 504 Posts
Just wanted to add another THANKS for your post. While not completely solving the issues I have, only a total shoulder replacement can do so or so say 2 surgeons, my problems have been lessened using the method shown along with additional exercises.
Old 07-11-13, 01:49 PM

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
That's one of a series of exercises that a physical therapist gave me for a 40 year old football injury that started hurting a few years ago. Evidently there's scar tissue from a badly broken collar bone.

Another similar exercise is to rest both elbows and arms on a door opening and lean through the opening.

I also do something he called 'the turtle' where I lift my shoulders up to my ears as much as possible. Sometimes there's one heck of a popping sound but it feels better afterwards.

I also try to lean my head on one shoulder then the next.

I hold all these positions at least 10 seconds or more and repeat a few times each.
Old 08-09-14, 02:22 PM

Bikes: 2011 GT Avalanche

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These exercises and stretching suggestions are great! Thanks for the tips! I just did a few of them and feel better already!

I looked up this thread because I recently started developing some constant neck pain, even though I have been riding regularly for over 6 years now. So, go figure. I guess I've developed a bad habit or poor posture somewhere along the line.

Oh, and I'm old, so that doesn't help matters much.
Old 08-09-14, 02:27 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
It is also excellent to relieve pain from rotator cuff problems.........................
Old 08-09-14, 08:20 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad8 7,Giant ATX760 , Nishiki Prestige Upgrade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had neck problems this entire cycling season. Turning to look over my left shoulder for oncoming
traffic pinches really bad.I'm going go try some of the above exercises. Hopefully something will work..
Old 08-10-14, 06:13 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Works for me, too. Someone had posted similar tips some years back and have used this technique on and off.