Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Famed comedian and 50+avid bicyclist Robin Williams found dead at age 63

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Famed comedian and 50+avid bicyclist Robin Williams found dead at age 63

Old 08-25-14, 09:24 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by gdhillard
I also see the high level of success in his life, and his leaving of it, and wonder what that means for those of us struggling along with less gifts?
I guess it means that what the media views as so important is not so important. I have four great children and six lovely grandchildren, along with a loving wife. I wouldn't have traded any of it for what Robin Williams had at the peak of his career.

And his gifts? Cultural assignments. In earlier times he would have been nothing more than a Court Jester. I wouldn't trade anything I have for anything he had.

I am sorry he died.

Old 08-25-14, 09:50 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
I guess it means that what the media views as so important is not so important. I have four great children and six lovely grandchildren, along with a loving wife. I wouldn't have traded any of it for what Robin Williams had at the peak of his career.

And his gifts? Cultural assignments. In earlier times he would have been nothing more than a Court Jester. I wouldn't trade anything I have for anything he had.

I am sorry he died.
Great post -- I feel the same way you do. I just returned from one of our best-ever annual family reunion trips with my wife, sons, daughter-in-law and likely future daughter-in-law, stepmom, and my brother's family, including his two little granddaughters.

One thing I liked about my most recent consulting gig was the corporate values list, which was headed by "our families come first."
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-03-14, 05:06 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
This is a great read, he had near 60 bikes at one point.

For the love of bicycles: A 2003 interview with Robin Williams - VeloNews.com
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 09-04-14, 12:17 PM

Bikes: 2014 Felt Z100, 1987 Schwinn Sierra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Three weeks have put this a little more into perspective for me. I was about 14 when he hit it big, definitely presenting a new style for stand-up comedy. We had been listening to Carlin, Pryor, and Steve Martin and thought they were great. Then this ****z showed up. He was frantic, zany, hectic--you had to listen or see a routine three times before you caught every joke or nuance. His mind was cruising in overdrive and we were still in granny gear trying to keep up.

Anyone could re-tell a Carlin story, or act like the "wild and crazy guy." A few of us could do Mudbone or the preacher sketches nearly to perfection and almost get the same laughs. Try as we might, none of us could mimic Robin Williams or pull off any of his jokes. He was an original, never seen before, and a mind like that will never be seen again.

From the female side, Joan Rivers is almost in the same league. Before her, comediennes were physical. They didn't like to let on that they had tremendous brainpower to go along with the rest of their talent. Joan was never afraid to show us that she was one broad who could hold her own with any man. I miss her already.
Old 09-13-14, 07:55 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 305 Posts
Old 11-09-14, 08:41 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
No trace of drugs or alcohol at the time of death.

BBC News - No drugs in Robin Williams suicide
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.