Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

After 11 years and over 35000 miles, my first major scare

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-14-14, 08:38 PM
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Happened on Tuesdays ride. Heading southbound on new blacktop with a tail wind, looked up to see a pickup truck heading northbound veering into my lane straight towards me! I hit the ditch at about 25mph, truck jerked back towards its lane less than 10 feet away, maybe closer. Soft shoulder so my front tire sunk in and I went down over the bars, bike went flying. Happens so fast, see truck, see tire sink, see grass coming towards face, see sky. I jumped up and for an instance wanted to run down the road after the truck, but regained my composure. I was pi$$ed as it seemed deliberate to me. The truck stopped and backed up to me. A retired farmer got out more shaken than I was, very apologetic. He used to farm this land and was looking at it and had drifted without realizing.
I felt OK except a little scuffed arm where I hit the gravel shoulder, my bike was okay, so went on my way. At the first hill, I experienced slight pain in my rib cage. That's when I realized I should have gotten his info, heck, should have probably called the police and had a report filed. Later in the evening my shoulder hurt. Went to work Wednesday, took ibuprofen all day. Had trouble raising my arm to signal on my after work ride.
Today the shoulder pain has subsided, still feel it in my rib cage. I don't ever want to have a call that close again. I was fortunate this time, no more next times please.
Old 08-14-14, 08:59 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Sounds like you're OK, just bruised........lucky you
Old 08-14-14, 09:15 PM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Take good care of that shoulder. I don't know what made me feel more relieved, the fact that you weren't seriously injured, or that the driver's actions turned out NOT to be deliberate.
Old 08-14-14, 09:40 PM

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 211 Posts
Glad to hear you avoided more serious injury. I think you can feel pretty good about the outcome. Good that you had the guts/ability to take evasive action, and good that it was not a malicious act that you might stew over for weeks.
Old 08-15-14, 07:59 AM

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Wow. Glad you weren't hurt more seriously.
I would see a chiropractor and get an adjustment.
Heal quickly.
Old 08-15-14, 07:59 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
As bad as it was, it could easily have been a lot worse!

Big picture though, you did the right thing (ditch landing much softer than grill of pick-up!) and the driver did the right thing in stopping and coming back to you (wrong thing in drifting over in the first place!).

Since you've ridden that many trouble free miles I'd say you're still well on top in terms of cycling safety!

Rick / OCRR
Old 08-15-14, 08:01 AM

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Good reminder to all, regarding how quickly things can change.

Be safe, everyone. You never know when something is going to come 'round the corner.
Old 08-15-14, 08:05 AM

Bikes: 19?? Pacific Quasar, 2008 Cannondale Synapse. 2009 Specialized Hard Rock Disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still in my first year of riding and had a very similar experience on my last ride the other night but without the dire result. Riding in a neighbor hood the Ranger coming at toward me suddenly veered right at me. I was thinking the same thing; the driver was doing it on purpose. I shot up the sloped curb into a yard as the Ranger suddenly jerked left.

Looked at dude as we passed. He was shocked. He was widening his turn to get into a driveway and I just happened to be there. No harm - no foul, I guess.
Old 08-15-14, 08:09 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Yikes. Glad you're ok ... I'd get yourself checked out by a doc, though.

Old 08-15-14, 08:14 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Great reaction to a bad situation. Contact with the pavement would have had another outcome.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-15-14 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-15-14, 08:38 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Nice bit of evasive maneuvering!

We had a somewhat similar situation here in San Diego, with a drunk driver crossing the center line and plowing into a group of cyclists, one of whom is still critical.

Cyclist struck at Fiesta Island in critical condition | UTSanDiego.com
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-15-14, 09:00 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
^ Egad. I initially heard that everyone's injuries were minor. Too good to be true, I guess.

I saw a video taken shortly after the crash, with the cyclists still embedded in the windshield. The tweaked-out driver was sitting on the sidelines ... cigarette in one hand, phone in the other ... writhing around and obviously in no condition to drive. What the hell do you do with people like that?

Old 08-15-14, 09:16 AM

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to hear your OK. Quick thinking and thank goodness for grass. Rib pain sucks. Takes a bit to go away, but it does.
Old 08-15-14, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
You got very lucky on a few levels!
Good thing you didn't get hurt much worse.
Even though he didn't mean any harm, I still think I would have had got off on the driver. The shock and adrenaline of the situation would have tripped my trigger. I know it dosen't really help the situation, good for you for maintaining control.
And by the sounds of it he was as upset as you. Lack of attention is a hard lesson.
BTW how's the bike?
Old 08-15-14, 01:02 PM

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
I had a close call myself this week and it was not the driver that would have been at fault. I was nearing the end of a little 10 mile ride that I do regularly. There is a school that spans the corner where I turn left to go home. Little traffic this time of year so I cut through the school parking lot to avoid a intersection with a lot of pot holes. I was just about to turn left and I out of the corner of my eye saw a pickup slowly passing me. I had my mind on other things and hadn't checked. He was going slow just coasting along and since I am deaf in my left ear I hadn't heard him. I usually signal all turns and check carefully before turning. For some reason I was in my own little world. I don't think he realized how close he came to hitting me as I never actually started my turn. He may have sensed it due to my body language or just was being careful. Even though nothing happened I was pretty shaken since I realized how close I came to turning right in front of him.

Moral of this story of there if there is one is keep your head out of your ... and its not always the other guys fault.
Old 08-15-14, 01:23 PM

Bikes: 2014 Felt Z100, 1987 Schwinn Sierra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hindsight is always 20/20, but the one thing I've learned from situations like this one is to stay put and ALWAYS call for the authorities. Of course, this is something I've failed to do 100% of the time I've been faced with similar circumstances. Hopefully next time I'll remember. Better still I'll hope that there isn't a next time.

I always laugh when I see a city bus have a mishap at 5mph. You'll see three paramedic trucks and a dozen passengers wearing neck braces. You know they weren't hurt, but by damn, they're going to get some of that action if there is any to be had.
Old 08-15-14, 01:32 PM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
The lesson I see is to be hyper-alert at all times on the bike. I actually spend time trying to improve my focus while riding. Sometimes it isn't easy on gorgeous days and riding pretty roads and in a blissed out state.
Old 08-15-14, 07:55 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Glad you were alert enough and looking ahead to react appropriately! If you had been a tractor trailer the former farmer would probably just be a former........
Old 08-16-14, 11:23 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TXsailor
I had a close call myself this week and it was not the driver that would have been at fault. ....Moral of this story of there if there is one is keep your head out of your ... and its not always the other guys fault.
Originally Posted by berner
The lesson I see is to be hyper-alert at all times on the bike. I actually spend time trying to improve my focus while riding. Sometimes it isn't easy on gorgeous days and riding pretty roads and in a blissed out state.
Echos my own experience this year, ending with me riding off the road and causing uneccesary stress to the driver of a car. Caught up in the excitement passing another cyclist and cutting the corner along a narrow road with no visibility around the corner. Only seconds earlier the small voice in the back of mind told me it was dangerous. The driver came around the corner staring a cyclist in the eyes. Thankfully we both reacted appropriately and all is well, and the bike survived unscathed. A reminder to me that I need to ride smarter.

Glad that the OP was for the most part uninjured.
Old 08-16-14, 06:18 PM

Location: Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.

Bikes: Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
^ Egad. I initially heard that everyone's injuries were minor. Too good to be true, I guess. I saw a video taken shortly after the crash, with the cyclists still embedded in the windshield. The tweaked-out driver was sitting on the sidelines ... cigarette in one hand, phone in the other ... writhing around and obviously in no condition to drive. What the hell do you do with people like that?
Cut off his gonads!!
Old 08-16-14, 08:39 PM

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
^ Egad. I initially heard that everyone's injuries were minor. Too good to be true, I guess.

I saw a video taken shortly after the crash, with the cyclists still embedded in the windshield. The tweaked-out driver was sitting on the sidelines ... cigarette in one hand, phone in the other ... writhing around and obviously in no condition to drive. What the hell do you do with people like that?
We'll never have the will to do it -- at least in the U.S. -- but if you jailed these idiots and made them personally responsible for associated medical costs, this stuff would stop. As it is now, they're almost never held criminally liable, except in cases where drugs or alcohol can be proven. IMO, we call too many things "accidents" and apply no penalties toward them, making it extremely unlikely behaviors will change.