Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'm not feeling so well. Am I sick?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-14, 01:27 PM

Bikes: 19?? Pacific Quasar, 2008 Cannondale Synapse. 2009 Specialized Hard Rock Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Decided to try out cycling this summer because I hate running, walking is boring, swimming costs money, and I could try it with out spending any money by riding an old department store mountain bike that I had in my garage.

Well, I'm still on the original mountain bike but I added clipless pedals and shoes, lighting, shorts, gloves, etc. with the idea of moving it all to the road bike that I'll buy shortly. I got a chance to get out for just a few minutes last night so I went the state park to get some climbing in.

Even though one hill beat me and another one took even more out of me because I refused to let beat me, when I got to the car at dark (the park closes at dusk) I was disappointed that I had to get off of the bike.

Do you suppose that I have the fever?
Old 08-23-14, 01:42 PM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
If you had asked for counseling before you took these actions, perhaps we could have helped you. Now, sadly, it's too late. You may need a second job.

Last edited by NVanHiker; 08-23-14 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-23-14, 02:06 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jim_de_hunter
Decided to try out cycling this summer because I hate running, walking is boring, swimming costs money, and I could try it with out spending any money by riding an old department store mountain bike that I had in my garage.

Well, I'm still on the original mountain bike but I added clipless pedals and shoes, lighting, shorts, gloves, etc. with the idea of moving it all to the road bike that I'll buy shortly. I got a chance to get out for just a few minutes last night so I went the state park to get some climbing in.

Even though one hill beat me and another one took even more out of me because I refused to let beat me, when I got to the car at dark (the park closes at dusk) I was disappointed that I had to get off of the bike.

Do you suppose that I have the fever?
You've now been infected since you've being bitten by the bug. One bit of advice, be careful of zombies.
Old 08-23-14, 02:09 PM

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the prescribed medication for temporary relief is to go and buy that road bike your disease is permanent.
Old 08-23-14, 02:29 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
For $150 I will diagnose and prescribe a treatment for your problem, but on the surface description, it sounds fatal.
Old 08-23-14, 02:32 PM

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya, you are really not doing so well. Don't give up on the mountain bike therapy, just change the application, step by step - Up the toughest hill.

Then ride that sucker all the way down, screaming like a little girl. The poisons will be flushed out of all your orifices by the time you reach the bottom. Wash and repeat as necessary. Use the road bike for long term wellness - it's the modern equivalent of Native American Sweat Lodges, complete with ceremonial clothing, sipping and sweating special brews, and hallucinations.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 08-23-14, 02:56 PM

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
Sorry, no cure for what you got. Side effects include progressively better health, sleep better at night, generally feeling happier. Only thing to do is live with it.
Old 08-23-14, 03:05 PM

Bikes: 2014 Bianchi Volpe and 15 Yr Old Schwinn Mountain Bike.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I’ve been riding for three months. First a fifteen year old mountain bike and then two weeks ago a road bike. Three times a week. I rode 20 miles yesterday and then took a hour ride this morning. I’m moving towards one longer ride and then a shorter ride the next day with one day off each week. One might say it’s a positive addiction. As I live in Oregon the rains will eventually come and then I may use the mountain bike with the wider tires to deal with the slippery roads. In a pinch the exercise bike in the cellar will also work
The riding gets better all the time and I pedal far more than coast. You will love having a road bike.
Old 08-23-14, 03:37 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
There is one possible cure... risky and certainly not guaranteed. Go to your lbs and test ride the two most expensive bikes in the shop. Look at a good pair of road shoes, 2-3 pairs of shorts and jerseys, gloves, helmet, pedals, gps, seat bag, tire repair kit w/co2, nice floor pump, spare tube. Got a figure? Now double that if you have a spouse because balance is required for home harmony... if the spouse does not already have a hobby then that must be addressed.

This is the initial capital investment. The annual operating budget will be some percentage of that, depending in annual mileage. Subsequent capital expenses are guaranteed but amounts unknowable at this time.
Old 08-23-14, 04:31 PM

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Definitely chronic. You will spend your lifetime living with this. Enjoy it.
Old 08-23-14, 05:35 PM

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by cobolman
I may use the mountain bike with the wider tires to deal with the slippery roads.
Road tires are not bad on wet pavement. They are narrow enough to displace the water and don't hydroplane. Just watch out for painted lines and metal (railroad tracks, etc.).
Old 08-23-14, 06:08 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
The proper number of bikes to start with is 4: a road bike, a mountain bike, a recumbent, and a tandem to share with the Good Wife(tm). You can add as many as you want after that (N+1) up to the point of (S-1,) which is where one more will cause the spouse to divorce you.
Old 08-23-14, 08:42 PM

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Dear lord, man! I suffer from the same illness! I contracted it this spring, also after taking an old mountain bike out of storage! But for me, the disease progressed so quickly that a month later I had a road bike!! Is there hope for us?
Old 08-23-14, 09:09 PM

Bikes: 19?? Pacific Quasar, 2008 Cannondale Synapse. 2009 Specialized Hard Rock Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uh oh... This isn't going so well... I just ordered my first smartphone and upgraded to a data package so that I can run Strava.... oh my aching wallet!
Old 08-24-14, 05:20 AM
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
That's how I started, on my son's old $400 mountain bike. After 10 miles I was exhausted. At the end of the summer I bit the bullet and bought a carbon road bike. 3 years later i'm doing 40 mile rides with 1500' climbing.

Yes... you're real sick.
Old 08-24-14, 05:32 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Those old department store mountain bikes. The major bicycle manufacturing companies sneak those into random garages. That's how they get you sucked in.
Old 08-24-14, 08:57 AM
Avid Cyclist

Bikes: Diamondback Century Disc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a twelve-step program.
Old 08-24-14, 04:10 PM

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2 & Motobecane 529HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, it's an addiction....and those dept store mountain bikes are nothing but gateway drugs. I started that way not long ago....next thing I know I'm pulling money out of savings and meeting some shady dude over in a neighborhood. He hands me a Trek FX, takes my money, and disappears. That's when the real problems started....avoiding yard work and household chores to ride....thinking about riding when I'm at work....traipsing through every neighborhood in town....sneaking around buying accessories....

You had a chance to stop.....now it may be too late.
Old 08-24-14, 05:07 PM

Bikes: 2014 Bianchi Volpe and 15 Yr Old Schwinn Mountain Bike.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeWMass
Road tires are not bad on wet pavement. They are narrow enough to displace the water and don't hydroplane. Just watch out for painted lines and metal (railroad tracks, etc.).
I was concerned about leaves. We get a lot of them on the streets in the fall.
Old 08-24-14, 08:04 PM

Bikes: Specialized Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Minor thread hijack - are leaves as dangerous as I think they are traction wise? I ride an awesome rainforest canopy like trail but in another month it's all going to be leaf covered so...

The original poster's ailment can be cured with about 15-20 lbs of carbon fiber
Old 08-25-14, 05:43 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by MickeyMaguire
There is a twelve mile ride program.
FIFY

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-25-14, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
You have a severe illness, the ONLY cure is to got to your local bike shop and by a new bike. NOW!
Old 08-25-14, 01:25 PM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Where's your patriotism? The economy need you.
Old 08-30-14, 04:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Case closed - Last night was the first time since Sunday (it was Friday) that I could ride. I park at the midpoint of my route and pass my car halfway through. Even though NO rain was in the forecast, just as I passed the half-way point and my car, it started raining... hard. After about 10 second of thinking about turning back to the car, I thought, "I need to ride more than I need to be comfortable and dry." and I kept right on going.

The diagnosis is in - I'm sick all right.
Old 08-31-14, 08:24 PM

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2 & Motobecane 529HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jim_de_hunter
Case closed - Last night was the first time since Sunday (it was Friday) that I could ride. I park at the midpoint of my route and pass my car halfway through. Even though NO rain was in the forecast, just as I passed the half-way point and my car, it started raining... hard. After about 10 second of thinking about turning back to the car, I thought, "I need to ride more than I need to be comfortable and dry." and I kept right on going.

The diagnosis is in - I'm sick all right.
Yep. You're a goner.

I had the same thing happen....my day off, and it's a light drizzle. Weather dude says 60% chance of rain. Guess that means I should stay home right? Then again, I bet I could get my ride in in under an hour without encountering heavy rain.

At 1/3 in, it had started to come down pretty good. I could have turned around.....but what the hell, it's just water, right? I did the full ride, was soaked when I got home, and would do it again in a heartbeat.

BTW....my Trek is in the shop for a tune up, so back to riding my dept store mountain bike affectionately known as C.J. (Chinese Junk) for now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.