Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Doctor confirmed the Parkinson's today.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Doctor confirmed the Parkinson's today.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-14, 09:30 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
abrianb,

10Wheels and Vic, No plans for a trike right now, they may well come but I don't need one, yet and there are no current restrictions on my riding. The doctors are fine with my riding and encourage me to continue. Great to know that 10wheels is returning after that bad time from the accident, This makes my day.

Bill
Can I have first dibs on the Caad10? I need it to add to my collection of Caad 8's and 9's.
Just kidding ... I figure that you'll be riding it a few more miles yet.

Thank you again for the connection with Hansel.

Paul
Old 08-28-14, 05:36 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Paul,
The CAAD10 is kind of like some of the firearms' peoples' feelings, they will take it away from me when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers

Glad that we could try to help out, your son will at least have a friendly contact in Montreal, in Hansel, he is a really first rate young man.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-28-14, 07:22 AM

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
I'm sorry to read that. My father was diagnosed with PD when he was 75, but I suspect he had it long before the diagnosis. He lived another eleven years, and had some good years.

All PD doesn't progress at the same rate, so you might have a long period with mild symptoms.

I once saw a video of a Dutch PD patient who couldn't walk but could still ride a two wheeled bike with no problem.
Old 08-28-14, 08:11 AM

Bikes: Cannondale T-2000 & SP-1000 (Silk Path hybrid)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When we are young, our healers talk about "curing" our disorders. When we are older, the objective is to "manage" our malfunctions. We, of course, are the ones that actually get to manage our problems day by day. The doctors only rarely see the snapshots (when we visit) and have read the literature. We, the ones on the receiving end, can only gamely go on and hope that each new day is better than the last. A diagnosis is only a prediction. It's not a review where the plot twist at the end is already known. Uh, what was the question again?
Old 08-28-14, 10:51 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Paul,
The CAAD10 is kind of like some of the firearms' peoples' feelings, they will take it away from me when they pry it from my cold, dead fingersBill
Atta boy Bill!
Old 08-28-14, 10:58 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Sorry to hear, Bill. Please stay strong.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 08-31-14, 10:42 AM

Bikes: N+1=20013 Green mongoose Beast, '74 Raleigh International, '58 Raleigh Dawn Tourist, Univega Alpine Sport, Univega Ladies MTB- Wife's, Townie 7D -Wife's, and a pile-o-spare British 'junque'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
God bless you, Bill. tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
05-76-international.jpg (100.0 KB, 21 views)
Old 08-31-14, 11:30 AM
Northern Rider

Bikes: 1999 Litespeed Tuscany 105, 2007 Marin Palisades Trail, 2006 Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 203 Posts
I had a friend with this pernicious disease until recently - he was relentless in pushing his physical, and social activity and his various projects to the max. It seems to me you have some of the same characteristics. For a while he was better on the (2-wheel) bike than he was walking. I wish you well.
Old 08-31-14, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Officially on nightly prayer list.
Old 08-31-14, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate to hear the news, but it sounds like you have a great attitude about it. Good for you!

I work in P'cola, so shoot me a message if you want and I'll buy you lunch......I'm always looking for new riding buddies.
Old 09-01-14, 06:21 AM
Semper Fi

Where do you work at? I'd enjoy meeting you and just chatting, if not riding some. You have to enjoy riding pretty slow to ride with me, though I'm up in the Molino/Barrineau Park area, right off of the Alabama line, at the Perdido River, and I ride in that area daily. I rode in the Lillian area and around South Baldwin County, for several years back in the late 70's and early 80's, with the Pensacola Freewheelers Club. My schedule is pretty flexible and any day is good for a ride, to me.

Bill

Old 09-01-14, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I'm up for that!!!!!

Okane,
Thanks, I've already had my spinal surgeries, thank you very much. Three of the critters, the last and most successful was a 2 level P.L.I.F., at L4-L5 and L5-S1, got the bone grafts with Ti cages, Ti plates on each side and 4 Ti screws. Gave me back my right leg after 15 years of paralysis from a fall at work. Not related to the PD, though. I suspect that none of the 13 abdominal surgeries I've had, nor any of the IV antibiotic infusion series were responsible in any way for the PD.

I pretty much choose to just laugh about the strange happenings with my body, now, and take it all in stride. Fussing, ranting or crying will not change things one bit and I need my strength for the bicycle rides I have planned right now. Glad that you can manage well and still ride, maybe some day we can meet up and pedal a while together, say a 50+ PD from BF Century, Metric or Half Century. that would be pretty cool.

Bill
You can bet on that if I ever get to the Sunshine State! Lived in Fort Pierce for about a year many eons ago! Ride on.
Old 09-01-14, 08:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish you the best Bill. Our prayers are with you.

Bernard
Old 09-02-14, 10:17 AM
Pedo Grande

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My boss has dealt with Parkinson's for a number of years and is currently in an NIH trial program. He is in his late 60's and going pretty strong all things considered. All the best to you in managing your illness, there is a large national support base and it looks as though you have one here as well
Old 09-02-14, 07:31 PM
Semper Fi

Popeye, the 50+ forum is probably one of the most supporting groups I have participated in. There is a lot of push on in many of the foundations for PD to encourage people to become involved in a field trial of some type. As elusive as the cause of PD is, finding a cure or preventive is as hard, if not harder, since pin pointing the cause of the dopamine producing cells dying off hasn't been found. I'm seeing the neurologist next Monday morning to establish the treatment and management plan so anything beyond that is not on my scope yet. Not ruling it out though.

I'll definitely be looking into local support groups for Monica and I to use. I am already studying the information at the Davis Phinney Foundation's website and I preordered the next printing of their guide book as well as the exercise and management DVD set.

I like to say thanks to okane for the P.M.'s the last few days.

Bill

Old 09-04-14, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where do you work at? I'd enjoy meeting you and just chatting, if not riding some. You have to enjoy riding pretty slow to ride with me, though I'm up in the Molino/Barrineau Park area, right off of the Alabama line, at the Perdido River, and I ride in that area daily. I rode in the Lillian area and around South Baldwin County, for several years back in the late 70's and early 80's, with the Pensacola Freewheelers Club. My schedule is pretty flexible and any day is good for a ride, to me.

Bill

Just a boring gub'ment job in downtown P'cola. I know your area well though. I'll message you some contact info. I don't live there but commute in every day. We can get together for lunch sometime and talk about how fast we were when we were young........
Old 09-08-14, 08:00 PM
Semper Fi

I saw the neurologist that will take over my long term care, this morning, a very nice, personable chap. He did the expected tests on me, watched me walk, examined both arms for their tone and rigidity, had me draw a spiral and write my signature out and pushed me from the front, back and sides to judge how which direction I would fall, as well as a lengthy talk on how the symptoms effect me in my daily life.. Agreed with the overall diagnosis and is scheduling an MRI of the brain, what he thinks might be in there I cannot imagine, its all a vast, empty, unused space to the best of my knowledge up there (they rule out anything organic such a tumor and a few other possibilities, it seems.) The meds will begin in October, that is a trial and error process, which I think will be a real blast to do.

And, life goes on and on, and on, hopefully.

Bill, the twitchy one

Last edited by qcpmsame; 09-09-14 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-09-14, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Bill, just remembered you are a N.D. fan how bout that game sat. night. Go Irish!
Old 09-09-14, 12:54 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,616 Posts
.is scheduling an MRI of the brain
Cool - post photos!
My daughter had an MRI last week for back pain and they found a slipped disk... what an amazing technology. We got a whole DVD of images.
Old 09-09-14, 02:43 PM
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well Bill I hope all goes well with your Dr. and continious progress in everything that you do. I believe that you are in charge of health.

Regards,

Gary
Old 09-09-14, 02:47 PM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
I haven't been here long but already know what kind of man you are and if Michael J. Fox can handle this debilitating disease?...

it should be just another day in the park for a Marine!
Old 09-09-14, 03:13 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
........No pity is sought, just letting the gang here know what I was gone for this summer. Stay safe and ride every chance y'all get.

Bill
With every birth a journey begins. Some roads traveled during that journey are smooth, some have bumps and potholes. Hoping that modern medical advances help smooth out the new road you will be traveling.
Old 09-09-14, 05:57 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Sorry to hear this , Bill.

You now get to join with all the rest o us cripples, quacks, and oldsters.

Every day is the best day of the rest of your life, and celebrate everyone.

Best of luck, and we'll add you two to our prayer list...............
Old 09-10-14, 05:20 AM
Semper Fi

Phil,
Thanks for the prayers, they are always welcomed and appreciated. As to joining the gang, I was a long time member before the PD came into the picture.

We all have to play the hand we are dealt, mine just happens to have a number of Jokers in the deal (as I don't gamble or even play cards I hope that made sense, or was at least close to being coherent.)

Getting in to see the neurologist was a big part of managing the PD, I'm happy it happened so quickly, kudos to my primary care physician and his staff. The trial and error for starting the medication(s) will be my next step in the successful management of things. There are times I wonder what the heck is going on and if there is a light at the end of the tunnel, or an oncoming train with its light on

Main thing for all of us is to keep moving forward, and cycling lets me do this, its just more enjoyable when riding a bicycle.

Bill

Last edited by qcpmsame; 09-10-14 at 06:12 AM.
Old 09-13-14, 07:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Bill!
Despite the dismal diagnosis you have been given, it appears you already have your trust in the Great Physician through whom you can do all things!
I would also like to recommend an interesting book for you to get your hands on...Grain Brain by a renowned neurologist Dr. David Perlmutter. He has been able to slow the progression, reverse the effects, and even cure his patients of numerous "brain" related diseases...Alzheimers, dementia, MS, and Parkinson's to name a few. His book explains in PLAIN language exactly how the brain works and what it needs to thrive and remain young and healthy. All of the recommendations tat he makes are easy logical diet changes. At the age of 57, I started following the instructions in his book and have been at it for the last 2 years. The results are that feel completely young again in many ways...more energy, more stamina, clearer brain skills, better cholesterol numbers-without medication, and dropped several sizes in the process also. I truly hope that you will pick up a copy and see is it makes sense and put some of it to successful use!
Got you in my prayers! Psalm 20 ends with "we rise up and stand firm..." GOD BLESS
Katz P