Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What's your pet peeve about cycling?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What's your pet peeve about cycling?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-14, 06:04 AM

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Multiple, overlapping Strava segments. What's up with that? Only thing I can think of is someone wanted to be KOM for a day. I could see maybe breaking one longer segment into a couple smaller ones, but that doesn't seem to be what's happening. Another thing (isn't really a peeve because I only have a single instance) is a loop segment that goes counter-clockwse (in the US) so there are some left turns. Who ever did it could have just gone the other way and you could ignore traffic.

scott s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
strava1.jpg (41.7 KB, 12 views)
strava2.jpg (14.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-04-14, 07:21 AM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
1) Wrong way riders. This is America, folks; we ride on the right side of the road.
Old 09-04-14, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Strava
other cyclist that pass and don't say anything.
other cyclists that blow through red lights.
drivers that can't wait two seconds to pass safely.
Old 09-04-14, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RR3
$215 fee to do a non-charity 100 mile spin.
That's insane. I was not happy when one of our $50 recreational centuries started charging an extra $15 if you wanted a t-shirt. Fund raisers are a different story as long as the money is going to the charity or cause and not into some promoter's pocket.
Old 09-04-14, 07:37 AM

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Kona Dew, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time trial bikes. I wish they'd never been invented. I don't want to spend the money on another bike, and I'm not sure my back would adapt well to that position. But the difference would probably move me up considerably in the Sprint Triathlons that I'm into now. If everyone was on road bikes, it wouldn't be an issue.
Old 09-04-14, 07:46 AM

Bikes: NOW: Trek Checkpoint ARL 4; PAST: Trek Boone 5 - stolen Nov 2019; Bianchi Volpe lost in MN River July 2014

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
People who yell at me to 'get a helmet'.

Don't they know that intolerance is the birthmother of hatred?
So, get one!
Old 09-04-14, 07:50 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
No pet peeves at all but it was kind of interesting reading other rider's pet peeves!

Rick / OCRR
Old 09-04-14, 09:31 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by jjankie
So, get one!
You work for Giro or Bell?

Opinions are like asshales, 'everbody's got 'em', best kept to yourself.

edit: it's my pet peeve, so don't take take it personally. It's intended to be taken collectively by impolite intolerants. Don't waste your energy on me, go pass a law that's universally enforced and you will cut bicycle ridership in half overnight.

re-edit: at a ski area where I patrol, we have a big terrain park, with some big jumps and the usual on slope hazards (rails, etc) in Terrain parks everywhere. 5-6 years ago it was nicknamed the Trauma Park by ski patrol. Next step is Mandatory helmets for park users. So what happened: 1. attendance (in the park) dropped but 2. accidents, including concussions, remained about the same. Fire the risk assessment lawyer and hire a ski veteran for risk assessment. He institutes a 7 minute training video about hazards and how to use/cruise/jump in the park safely and requires EVERY park user attend EVERY ski season. Helmets go from required to desirable. Result = incidents in the park are way down, attendance is up. Every one is happy - except the lawyer who got fired. Education over Regulation in a matter such as this.

Last edited by Wildwood; 09-04-14 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-04-14, 10:01 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts

Opinions are like asshales, best kept to yourself.

edit: it's my pet peeve, so don't take take it personally. It's intended to be collectively by impolite intolerants. Don't waste your energy on me, go pass a law that's universally enforced and you will cut bicycle ridership in half overnight
What chainlube do you use?
Old 09-04-14, 10:01 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts

Opinions are like asshales, best kept to yourself.

edit: it's my pet peeve, so don't take take it personally. It's intended to be collectively by impolite intolerants. Don't waste your energy on me, go pass a law that's universally enforced and you will cut bicycle ridership in half overnight
Just think, obnoxious, vocal "H" advocates can then claim cycling accidents might be cut in half, more or less; mission accomplished, eh? At least until bicycling is banned outright in order to protect cyclists from their allegedly too dangerous activity.
Old 09-04-14, 10:09 AM

Bikes: NOW: Trek Checkpoint ARL 4; PAST: Trek Boone 5 - stolen Nov 2019; Bianchi Volpe lost in MN River July 2014

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Just think, obnoxious, vocal "H" advocates can then claim cycling accidents might be cut in half, more or less; mission accomplished, eh? At least until bicycling is banned outright in order to protect cyclists from their allegedly too dangerous activity.
Apologies to all for inadvertently opening this 'can of worms' or whatever you want to call it!
Old 09-04-14, 10:11 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Narcissists who believe everyone else is rude to them.
And just exactly what do you mean by that? lol

Old 09-04-14, 10:18 AM

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sirupate
"Snobbish" cyclists. Yes, really. My son is just beginning to try bicycle racing, and all he has is an aluminum frame CF fork bike. He was basically made fun of by others in his most recent race. All others had CF frame "wonder" bikes. This is just class 5 racing...about the lowest level you can start at. So yea...bike snobs. Go eff yourselves.
Tons of people are doing very well racing with aluminum frames, although carbon frames are the most prevalent. There's a good chance he'll get "the last laugh" soon enough.
Old 09-04-14, 10:25 AM

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick94804
People who actually keep a catalog of pet peeves. Does this petty **** really impact your enjoyment of the ride?
+1 Don't get me wrong, I can be as cranky as the next guy, but when I ride, it's for relaxation and enjoyment, so I try to let all the junk go that comes with daily life. Unless you're going to move to some remote corner of the world surrounded by few people, someone's going to annoy you. To me, one other positive for getting faster is the ability to most past those situations more quickly.
Old 09-04-14, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
People who yell at me to 'get a helmet'.
This is one thing that wearing a helmet incontrovertibly helps protect against.
Old 09-04-14, 11:33 AM

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
And back to our regular scheduled program . . .

People who weave all over the MUP or even the road not allowing you to pass, followed one dude for 1/4 mile, he had earbuds in , music cranked up and was riding no handed. Shocked the hell out of him when I finally passed him when I got an opportunity, on the right, he nearly collided with me. Didn't hear me yelling.

People who walk or ride on the wrong side. I stopped once, head to head with a lady, right in front of a sign stating KEEP RIGHT with a pic of a bike, jogger and walker on it. She still claimed she was correct on running on the left. This while a bunch of people passed in both directions, ALL on their right.

Unleashed dogs or worse yet, dogs on 10+ foot leashes across the MUP or street.
Old 09-04-14, 12:01 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
What chainlube do you use?
rust filings & tar.
Old 09-04-14, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Rootman
And back to our regular scheduled program . . .

People who weave all over the MUP or even the road not allowing you to pass, followed one dude for 1/4 mile, he had earbuds in , music cranked up and was riding no handed. Shocked the hell out of him when I finally passed him when I got an opportunity, on the right, he nearly collided with me. Didn't hear me yelling.

People who walk or ride on the wrong side. I stopped once, head to head with a lady, right in front of a sign stating KEEP RIGHT with a pic of a bike, jogger and walker on it. She still claimed she was correct on running on the left. This while a bunch of people passed in both directions, ALL on their right.

Unleashed dogs or worse yet, dogs on 10+ foot leashes across the MUP or street.
People who pass on the right (up the inside) on the MUP.
Old 09-04-14, 12:10 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"Snobbish" cyclists. Yes, really. My son is just beginning to try bicycle racing, and all he has is an aluminum frame CF fork bike. He was basically made fun of by others in his most recent race. All others had CF frame "wonder" bikes. This is just class 5 racing...about the lowest level you can start at. So yea...bike snobs. Go eff yourselves.
I wouldn't worry, and your son should just take this as a learning experience. Riding what you've got, especially if it's not as "good" as what everybody else has, will only make you stronger. I regularly ride a steel-framed fixed gear bike (with couplers for travel), and on organized century rides, I constantly pass and drop guys on expensive cf bikes with fancy cf wheels on the climbs. And they're usually way younger than my 63 years. I wouldn't even bother upgrading your son's bike. Training has way more to do with performance than what your bike is made of. Beyond a certain level (and a low bar at that), equipment is totally inconsequential. If your son is really serious about racing, some team will notice that he's winning races on an "inferior" bike, and they'll invite him onto their team. You'll then be able to buy him a "competitive" bike at the pro price, or they'll provide one for him.

I just love it when people make fun of my bike. I just kick their ass. And often, kicking their ass consists of just being able to not be dropped. Respect is earned.

Luis
Old 09-04-14, 12:34 PM

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think there is nothing wrong with than and it is a shame he is being subjected to it. It must be discouraging, if I was younger I would be discouraged. But I would work hard and probably kick most of their buts. I was very happy with my recent purchase of a race bike that was 15 years old and aluminum frame and carbon fork, and at least 1/4 the price of most comparable bikes.

I went for an impromptu 50 km ride this am and I did not see many others out; but one guy in his full club kit (I didn't catch his bike) sneered at me. Though it was likely more for me not wearing a jersey, having a frame pump, safety vest, lights and top tube pannier. I still rode 50 km in 1.5 hours, not bad in my opinion.

There was a post a while back in one thread about all these snooty races scoffing and mocking this guy on his old bike (steel maybe?) and he went on to whoop all their derrieres.

My biggest pet peeve cycling (and driving) is the poor traffic planning and management in my area.

@scott967
Strava overlap, do you mean like this?

Attached Images
strava.jpg (91.8 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by joeyduck; 09-04-14 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-04-14, 01:12 PM

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease Carbon, Sette Razzo Carbon 29er

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Well, I wouldn't have brought it up if you hadn't specifically asked, but since you did: Tourists who flock to my area, rent bikes from the store on the edge of Peninsula State Park, then ride the bike trails with absolutely no concept of trail etiquette.

Two days ago I went out in the rain specifically to avoid these terrorists. I was batting along like a startled bunny when I rounded a corner and coming towards me were a couple of 'ists, riding side by side, with the bike in the wrong lane towing one of those baby carrier things! I had no choice but to hit the brakes and steer into the ditch at the side of the trail. This type of thing happens a LOT.

Also, I often encounter slow moving riders riding two abreast in the same direction as me, so I move up behind them, change a gear, clear my throat then when I'm ignored I exclaim 'trail', then one of them will look over their shoulder, see me, then just continue to ride along 2-abreast occupying both lanes. Infuriating, people
Old 09-04-14, 02:06 PM

Bikes: Trek Allant 9.9s

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting. I race with an aluminum, carbon fork. Even raced with aluminum rims (now I have carbon rims). Nothing was ever said to me - or near me that I could hear. Those with carbon frames & wheels will be awfully upset when they enter their first crash. Aluminum = cheaper to replace
Old 09-04-14, 02:31 PM

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2 & Motobecane 529HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My only peeve? Waiting until I was 50 years old to rediscover riding a bike. What a difference it could have made with stress management the last 30 years.....
Old 09-04-14, 03:10 PM
No I'm Not a Pirate!

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having time to ride, but not having the health to do so...

Having the health to ride, but not being able to make the time...

The former more then the latter, but either way I don't get to ride.
Old 09-04-14, 04:46 PM
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only pet peeve that really bothers me are riders riding on the wrong side of the street, towards me. This is especially irksome when it occurs in a dedicated bicycle lane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.