My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overdid it! Advice?

Background:
    Have a base of 300 miles this year. Back been giving some trouble this year, Dr says Nothing seen on xray but Arthiritis and a word I've been hearing a lot lately, 'degeneration' but Normal & thank goodness nothing major.

But- Last Saturday I did 22 miles, prior to I raised my seat 2 cm at most (I know-I know). I stretched at mile 2, 5 and noticed pain at mile 12. Took it easy back home (didn't bring tools to lower seat - mistake #2 of the day), Last sunday I couldn't walk. Extreme muscle pain in rear hips (back). DANG!!!!

So I kept stretching all week per advice of PT'ist, but still there - mostly in morning. Obviously I need to strengthen back but should I stay off bike???? Dr says it will possibly inflame it but do what I feel, just don't overdo it. I rode 10 miles EASY last tuesday evening, felt better but 3 days later pain returned big time (PT'ist says thats normal).

I know you all been there and I ain't looking for any freeking sympathy comments just good advice. Ride or Stay off and take a break.

TIA (Thanks In Advance)
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do back extensions for pain such as you describe.

They have a machine at they gym which I call "My wonder back machine." If my back is hurting before, it is fixed when I am done with my exercises.

You sit in the machine with your feet resting on an adjustable length foot rest, there is an adjutable height roller which rolls against your upper back, and a pulley to variable weights.

I lean back against the roller, fully extending myself to a flat position. I start out with low weights and build up to 300 pounds, which is the max.

Of course, you would want to check this out with your PT, but it does it for me.

You can also do back extensions lying supine on the floor, raising shoulders and legs at same time.

We all start developing osteoarthritis when we are about 22 yo. Some faster than others!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 04-03-05 at 04:03 PM.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    I do back extensions for pain such as you describe.

You can also do back extensions lying supine on the floor, raising shoulders and legs at same time.
    Thanks DF, this excersise is one she recommended. I did ride 10 mile again tonight, 60+ degrees here., took it easy 13.1 mph , ok so far. THANKS!!!!
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You checked the fit of your bike?

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody
    You checked the fit of your bike?
    Yep - it was fit by LBS when I bought it. Got 2K+ miles till I just had to try a raised seat. Felt real good at first. Thanks for the suggestion. and Yep - I put it back were it was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also do the Dorsi bar lat pulldowns at the gym, and they make my back feel great.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Blueridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad your feeling a bit better, I know exactly how you feel. My husband has been off his bike for over a month because of back pain and I just got over my back pain after being off the bike for 2 weeks. I found just staying off the bike for two weeks, doing a little stretching and finally when it seemed like I was making progress, I went back to the gym. You will just have to judge your pain for yourself and take it REALLY EASY for a while. I know it can be frustrating but after you are getting better, you will be glad you did. You certainly don't want to end up back at square one. Good luck, hope your back to normal real soon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the things most of us need is strengthening of our lower back, in addition to stretching the lower back. Back extensions seem to do both! I know my lower back is markedly stronger after doing the back extensions regularly.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    See signature
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    One of the things most of us need is strengthening of our lower back, in addition to stretching the lower back. Back extensions seem to do both! I know my lower back is markedly stronger after doing the back extensions regularly.
    Crunches can help as well. A good deal of lower back pain is attributable to weak abdominal muscles.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2011 Felt Z4. :-)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy this book if you don't already have it. It's the bicycling "bible" for older cyclists.
    Cycling Past 50
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2011 Felt Z4

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't dream of trying to diagnose anyone's condition or suggest that what worked for me will work for you, but around New Years of 2005 I could barely stand up with low back pain. Here's what I did:

1. Went to a chiropractor because my regular doc couldn't seem to help me. Chiro was actually doc's idea. I was pretty dubious of chiropractors by the way.

2. Got on a stretching program as outlined by the chiro. I also learned to sit at my desk at work without slouching. Got a special pillow for the back of my chair that helped me with this.

3. This is the killer. Didn't ride the bike for about six weeks. I hated being off the bike, but I decided that long term it might be worth the sacrifice.

4. When I finally did ride, raised my handlebars to seat level (or maybe even a bit higher at first).

5. Gradually built up my cycling mileage while continuing to stretch and strengthen core muscles.

Again, what I did may not work for someone else, but I have a new respect for chiropractors--or at least the guy I worked with. He seemed to figure out my problem and provided a solution that worked and did not include drugs, surgery or lengthy term of treatment.

Good luck!!! If you want any more info PM me.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found agreement with Blandin...for me, the back trouble seemed due to abs weakness. I have found crunches and stretching with a stability ball helpful. When raising or lowering the seat try 1cm increments. You will often have to move the seat for and aft after a height adjustment. I do not recommend for and aft movements of more than 1/2 cm increments at a time. Be careful!

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THANKS for the feedback to all , just good words of advice really help!
    RONH- Just dug out my 'Over 50' book and will reread. I have real trouble having the strength to take it easy!
    Good Biking!

My Bikes
    Trek 510, Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have osteoarthritis in various parts of my body and find that keeping a high pedal cadence helps keep the body more limber with less pain after the ride. That plus vitamin "I".

Al