Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2004 Giant OCR3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man am I fortunate! (yes.."saddle issues"...again)

So I did the "impulse buy thing" with my veloplush purchased at wally world yesterday for $14.96...and I guess it would be fine for a casual rider and for the price I figured it couldn't hurt to try but here it is day two and I can see that in forging ahead and growing the miles of which I ride?...I will soon not be so happy with it...so I called the LBS again today explaining myself and that I had no business asking about a Selle SMP that wound up pricing out at $259 for my '02 Giant OCR3 but wanted to know if they carried anything in the $100 range like a Toupe or Romin Evo which is when he informed me that....

"Well?..no...we don't carry much of the smaller company stuff but we do have a vast selection of real nice seats in and around that price range and....(here's the great part)...we also have a great DEMO SEAT PROGRAM where we just loan you the seat you think you'd like and you can take it for up too a 2 week trial period to decide before you buy."

So guess where I'm headed tomorrow right after work? LOL!

Wish me luck and L8R, Bill.
    "An Old School Fool With A Lot of Miles To Go To Get There!"

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah I find my single loop plastic toe clips at Wally World but I don't have to sit on those.

Seats are a personal preference thing with lots of different cans out there to fit to. Sounds like you found the LBS with which to do business.
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems that this will be a good place to start, having a demo program is definite plus. One thing though, Romin and Toupe saddles are from Specialized, one of the largest bicycle and accessory companies, and those are two great saddles, just be careful and do your due diligence. Best of luck!

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    2004 Giant OCR3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks folks! And judging from the LBS's website?...it appears that "Serfas" may be one of the primary brands they carry and if they do?...I'm impressed....

My Bikes
    Giant Talon 27.5-1 and a Giant Cypress DX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put a Serfas seat on my Giant and I love it. Great price range, comfortable. Many styles to choose from.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinkster View Post
    Thanks folks! And judging from the LBS's website?...it appears that "Serfas" may be one of the primary brands they carry and if they do?...I'm impressed....

Those are some significant hot spots. If that's your readout I'm betting you can do a lot better. If it's just some generic advertising graphic it really means nothing. If Serfas is trying to sell you on the idea that their saddles are inherently more comfortable that's pure BS and I wouldn't do business with them. What matters is how any saddle fits an individual. When I did the test using the Trek machine it showed a Cobb with less hot spots. Unfortunately, the nose was too wide for me but that's another story.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the result of my session.
    Attached Files Attached Files

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Seems that this will be a good place to start, having a demo program is definite plus. One thing though, Romin and Toupe saddles are from Specialized...
    So... Specialized has now trademarked an existing color? Will I have to rename the color or my living room drapes to avoid a lawsuit?

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since its a Toupe saddle, and not the color taupe, I suppose they could trademark it if they wanted to.... Mike Sinyard's minions have been known to call the lawyers on lesser infractions. I was only suggesting that he carefully check out the LBS that said they were small company saddles. My bad for not being clear, I suppose.

On second thought, I am not sure about the intent, BP, If I misspelled something, my apologies, if its an inflection mark I'll plead ignorance, although I am pretty ignorant as it stands, I have references, too.

Bill
    Last edited by qcpmsame; 09-12-14 at 04:01 PM. Reason: unsure what I did incorrectly
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    This is the result of my session.

Did you get the Cobb? I have one on my TT bike.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    better than I deserve
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck with the demo program. Though I'm with Bill on this: any LBS that refers to Specialized saddles as "smaller company stuff" would raise some concerns in my mind.
    And I did it all clean.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Did you get the Cobb? I have one on my TT bike.
    Right now I'm testing a Bontrager Serrano. The Cobb was a V Flow (?) and the nose was too wide for me. But, I see they have the SHC which may work better for me. I'll try it next. What's your opinion of your Cobb? FWIW I am 5'9" and weigh 180 lbs.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely go with the trial program.

I've used a Terry Fly (~$100 for the Ti or carbon version on sale) for years, and just haven't seen the need to move to anything else. Maybe I'm missing something ...
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    2004 Giant OCR3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well folks?...it seems there's lots of strong opinions here regarding R&D machines used by the industry....me?...I'm of the opinion that since both saddles and butts come in a variety of different shapes, sizes and densities?...and then toss in the rider weight variable which I suspect could range anywhere between 100 too 300 lbs?...and I might suspect that any information gleaned from one specific butt sitting on one specific seat contour would yield nothing but the most basic of information from which to design and produce any saddle that would work best for everyone...as dimensionally speaking? ...such a beast can not exist.

Which is why I'm so happy the LBS has a demo seat program.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    Right now I'm testing a Bontrager Serrano. The Cobb was a V Flow (?) and the nose was too wide for me. But, I see they have the SHC which may work better for me. I'll try it next. What's your opinion of your Cobb? FWIW I am 5'9" and weigh 180 lbs.
    It's been a good saddle for me on my TT bike because the nose is wider---I seem to wind up closer to the front of the saddle in the aero position so it works for that. I'm not sure I'd be happy with it on my road bike though. I have the V flow and like you said I just don't think that work for me on longer rides.......but I have not tried it for those,
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP, as you'll have gathered there are as many opinions about saddles as there are saddles, and since for the most part it is entirely a matter of personal preference that demonstrates the truth of this old saying: Opinions are like ********. Everyone has one, and very few bear close inspection.

Don't be in a hurry. Try a few. FWIW, which is nothing, I find that I get on well with Fizik products and that the Specialized saddles (especially the Toupe) cut me to ribbons. Your mileage will almost certainly vary.

Edit: the site censor is getting even more absurd. Still, I'm sure you can fill in the blanks.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    ... Edit: the site censor is getting even more absurd. Still, I'm sure you can fill in the blanks.
    I know what you mean about the censor, bot at least it now lets me type Otto Cap's [founder of CapO bicycle company) first name.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069