Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Motorcycle Police on MUP

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Motorcycle Police on MUP

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-14, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Motorcycle Police on MUP

Several months ago the county sheriff said he was going to have officers start patrolling the Schuylkill River MUP in our county with officers on motorcycles. This morning on my commute into work, I saw my first officer. I'm not being critical of the officer, but I wish it wasn't a motorized vehicle being used. It felt very strange, almost like it was wrong. Is this a sign of getting more "get off my lawn" personality, or is it a reasonable response?
Old 09-12-14, 08:25 PM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
I can see that if it was a large motorcycle, like most police ones are, that it would be a little intimidating. Then again, they need to chase down, and catch, whoever they are after. Maybe A Vespa would be better?
Old 09-12-14, 08:29 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Around here our cops ride MTB's in cases where patrol cars arent needed. Motor vehicles dont belong on the MUP's.
Old 09-12-14, 08:30 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Seems like they should be on bicycles. It's sad they even have to be patroling there.
Old 09-12-14, 08:39 PM

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
On our bike path (not called a MUP but same I think) there aren't supposed to be motor vehicles but seems to be accepted that mopeds are OK.

scott s.
Old 09-12-14, 08:46 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
That is an odd choice for the MUP, the police motorcycles are so large and cumbersome for the MUP type of work. Here our City Police, the University of West Florida, NAS Whiting Field and the next county over, Santa Rosa County, FL all have special law enforcement MTB. The NASWF police have had the courses in effectively using these bicycles and a couple of officers took the Train the Trainer course, now they have classes and refreshers for the other jurisdiction officers from time to time. UWF and NASWF both have nature trails that require patrolling and the MTB work very well there and on the tight quarters of the campus and the air station (NASWF is really small, probably the smallest full duty Naval Air Station in operation.) Our sheriff's department in Escambia County has had the MTB officers but it isn't a steady thing, for some reason.

Also, I hope the police have had enough low speed maneuvering training, its an entirely different skill set. The required safety curse for the motorcycle license endorsement in Florida teaches it thoroughly. Some jurisdctions have smaller dual purpose motorcycles, scooters (as mentioned above) for use on these types of areas. I remember the California police on Husqvarna WR250 for patrolling the riding areas in the 70's.

A school mate for HS is a long time City bicycle patrol officer, he is one in-shape man, a runner with us in HS he lead our XC team. I envy the bicycle patrol duty officers, that would be a great job to me.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 09-12-14 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-12-14, 08:55 PM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Bike cops, who are proud of being proficient motorcyclists, are probably ashamed of being made to do something so silly as chase a cyclist for going 19 in a 15.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-12-14, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I saw a motor officer on one of our MUPs a couple of years ago but haven't seen one since then. IMO, it's an OK practice. He was navigating carefully at a very casual pace. The MUP was fairly busy.

I saw a couple of MTB officers on a ride 3 or 4 years ago, but haven't seen any more. I rode with them for a little piece, and as I recall, we discussed all of the lights on my bike. Except for the blue lights, which I didn't have, I think mine were better and brighter than theirs.

Last edited by doctor j; 09-12-14 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-12-14, 09:08 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Bike cops, who are proud of being proficient motorcyclists, are probably ashamed of being made to do something so silly as chase a cyclist for going 19 in a 15.
I've seen the local police on the paths around here again this fall. As kids return to school.... skipping out and hanging on the bicycle paths/MUPs seems like a good idea for some teens. Rapes and robbery seem to follow. I saw the police hauling off a creepy looking guy that was drinking and offering truants booze on the paths.

Sometimes the kids are victims... sometimes they make cyclists or joggers the victim.
Old 09-12-14, 09:59 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
At least it's not on quads.

Earlier this year we had a sniper along one of the expressways. A MUP runs parallel a couple of hundred yards away. In response to citizen uprising, the county sheriff ordered patrols of the MUP. It's on my commute. One day I came over a rise to find two deputies on quads bearing down on me at full throttle. Yikes! They were stunned to see a person on a bicycle on the bike path. WTF?

Six miles away, they patrol on horseback. Much nicer.
Old 09-12-14, 10:08 PM
Fahrradfahrer

Bikes: n+1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They are cops, a job that is likely to involve periods of extreme physical exertion. When they are patrolling a non-motorized area, they should also be non-motorized in my opinion. Putting them on bikes also makes it more likely they will interact with users.
Old 09-12-14, 11:23 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I've seen jerks on motorcycles there on two occasions, maybes they were trying to hunt down one of those?
Old 09-13-14, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
On one near me I regularly see a patrol car in the evenings.
It is the old road, one lane each way, so there basically is room.
Also see service vehicles often enough there.
Old 09-13-14, 03:56 AM

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having the Officer on an MC has one very important benefit; He/she is available for other calls or jobs if needed. When on a Bicycle, he/she is generally out of service for any other issues which are not very close by.
I would think that their mere presence will hopefully have an enforcement effect on the users of the MUP.

Bicycle or Motorcycle, you can't outrun the radio.
Old 09-13-14, 04:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame

Also, I hope the police have had enough low speed maneuvering training, its an entirely different skill set. The required safety curse for the motorcycle license endorsement in Florida teaches it thoroughly. Some jurisdctions have smaller dual purpose motorcycles, scooters (as mentioned above) for use on these types of areas. I remember the California police on Husqvarna WR250 for patrolling the riding areas in the 70's.

Bill
Police routinely hold M/C Slow ride competitions. Police M/C training is pretty in-depth which includes slow speed maneuvering. Most cops are trained to the point where they can turn their M/C in a radius smaller than the design. Look at Police Bikes (Harley) and you'll notice the floor boards are usually scrapped up from being dragged on the ground.

Check out these video's:

Police" Slow Ride" competition at Destination Daytona - YouTube

I was doing some testing many years ago and followed two Police M/C riders (One NYPD one Paterson PD) from Metlife Stadium into NYC Midtown. They never put their feet down on the roadway. Even at red traffic signals and in heavy stop/go traffic they kept the M/C from falling over by using the throttle and brakes. Amazing to watch.
Old 09-13-14, 04:51 AM

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Well around here, North Central Florida, law enforcement patrol the local paved rail trails MUPS with patrol cars, and ATVs. On top of that the county sheriff's have citizen patrols running older police cars on the trails as well.
Old 09-13-14, 05:27 AM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Yep....that would tick me off as well...after all...you're out there trying to get away from the insanity that is this world only to find that you can't even escape it there and in a very ominous way....as the militarization of our local law enforcement agencies has now even found it's way too our MUP's?...now that said.....I know there's some sick folks out there that would use such places for a stalking ground...so unfortunately I agree that "A Presence" should be maintained in many areas...but cops on dirt bikes?....NO!.....absolutely not...and I too would find that offensive if not downright intimidating and certainly disruptive too the primary intended setting of things....so what would I suggest for a viable solution?...well in my world?...an Officer would be required to demonstrate well above average fitness and proficiency on a high end, suitably equipped mountain bike...however....fat butt, puss gut officers get a horse and they hafta take care of it on their own time! LOL!

And the Chief?....he gets a golf cart. LOL!

Welcome to my world.
Old 09-13-14, 06:43 AM

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, a MTN bike, and a road bike gathering dust

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only cops I've seen on our MUP's were in a four-seat Polaris. We do have bike cops, but oddly, I've never seen one on any MUP.
Old 09-13-14, 06:56 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Mvcrash
Police routinely hold M/C Slow ride competitions. Police M/C training is pretty in-depth which includes slow speed maneuvering. Most cops are trained to the point where they can turn their M/C in a radius smaller than the design. Look at Police Bikes (Harley) and you'll notice the floor boards are usually scrapped up from being dragged on the ground.

Check out these video's:

Police" Slow Ride" competition at Destination Daytona - YouTube

I was doing some testing many years ago and followed two Police M/C riders (One NYPD one Paterson PD) from Metlife Stadium into NYC Midtown. They never put their feet down on the roadway. Even at red traffic signals and in heavy stop/go traffic they kept the M/C from falling over by using the throttle and brakes. Amazing to watch.
I'm familiar with those events, they are great to watch, and yes, the police on m/c are very well trained in most cases. My brother is a retired LT from our sheriff's office and I was good, close friends with a long time motorcycle officer here (lost him to cancer this spring, RIP, Ray) I'm not against having a m/c officer on the MUP, just saying I hope this municipality has given the proper training, If its Philly or one of the surrounding towns, they are very, very well trained. Philly "Highway Patrol" selected officers are the elite.

( I am long time motorcyclist, also, not trying to criticize the police here.) I have a feeling that the budget considerations and having the officers/deputies available for other duties is the reason, as stated, that is a fact of life everywhere right now.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 09-13-14 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-13-14, 07:05 AM

Location: Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper

Bikes: Montague - Paratrooper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Several months ago the county sheriff said he was going to have officers start patrolling the Schuylkill River MUP in our county with officers on motorcycles.
Most of the Schuylkill River MUP right of way is W I D E. The paved area isn't wide enough. There should be little problem with officers patrolling on motorcycles - As long as they yield to Walkers and Cyclists.

Since it's the Sheriff Deputies doing the patrols I would rather see them on Bicycles. But motorcycles will allow for a quicker response if needed elsewhere.

I think the town/township police departments try to ignore the trail.

An eight foot wide ambulance on a ten foot wide MUP is another subject entirely. Stopped in the middle of a corner at the time.

Last edited by Ali_Pine; 09-13-14 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-13-14, 09:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
I'm familiar with those events, they are great to watch, and yes, the police on m/c are very well trained in most cases. My brother is a retired LT from our sheriff's office and I was good, close friends with a long time motorcycle officer here (lost him to cancer this spring, RIP, Ray) I'm not against having a m/c officer on the MUP, just saying I hope this municipality has given the proper training, If its Philly or one of the surrounding towns, they are very, very well trained. Philly "Highway Patrol" selected officers are the elite.

( I am long time motorcyclist, also, not trying to criticize the police here.) I have a feeling that the budget considerations and having the officers/deputies available for other duties is the reason, as stated, that is a fact of life everywhere right now.

Bill
Three types: Wannbe a cop, are be a cop and the best kind....use 2 be a COP (aka retired). Never thought you were criticizing the police at all, Budgets are budgets.

Sorry to hear about your friend Ray, RIP Brother and God Speed to the family.
Old 09-13-14, 09:37 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
They issued any speeding tickets to electric bikes ?

or operating an unlicensed motor vehicle citations to one of those gas moped converted bicycles that also go quite fast on Bike Paths ..
Old 09-13-14, 10:01 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I'm OK with it.

Old 09-13-14, 10:13 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I was on a local trail a few months back and there was a cop on a 4-wheeler positioned like a speed trap. There was a temporary bridge (15 foot tiny thing) across a ditch with a sign that said "walk across bridge." Well I was clipped in and nobody was in sight in either direction, --so I coasted across at maybe 1-MPH. He fired up his 4 wheeler, roared across the bridge, and came after me. He threatened to write me up and ban me from the trail for the rest of the season. I guess I learned my lesson.
Old 09-13-14, 10:24 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
What else do those particular officers do when they aren't patroling the MUP?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.