Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Ride Alert - and my wife says I'm getting dumber as I age.

    I had such a blast riding my first Century last weekend in beautiful Door County WI, that I set about researching rides for early Spring 2015.

    Then guess what. I discovered the riding season hasn't ended here in WI yet.

    Yup, I found another Century ride in Sheboygan for this coming weekend, and it even has a 112 Mile "Iron Raccoon" option

    I mentioned this in a tentative sort of way to my wife, and of course she saw right through my passive demeanor and said 'you're going to do it aren't you'.

    Then there was a brief discussion about medical insurance, attorney's fees, dementia and other subtly worded inferences which left me in no doubt that she thinks I'm losing it

    What I haven't told her yet is that I'm thinking of driving down on Friday afternoon and camping overnight. I gotta build her up a bit before I spring that one on her. I haven't camped in 10 years. Oddly enough I was poking around our storage locker only a week ago, looking for some old bike parts, when I happened upon our old 2-man tent. I remember thinking at the time that it would be fun to camp again, then figured my wife would probably divorce me if I so much as mentioned the idea..

    Ahh well. Upwards and onwards. Here's the link if anyone is interested Maywood Earth Ride - Route Information

    It sounds like another beautiful ride through a part of the State which I'm unfamiliar with, unlike last weekend's route which I knew pretty well.

    It would be great to hear from anyone who may have ridden this event in the past.

    Oh, and the weather is looking like warm, humid, rainy with a chance of thunderstorms, so another little challenge ahead

    Cheers!

  2. #2
    feros ferio John E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
    My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Posts
    14,949
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go for it! Congrats on your achievements so far.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

  3. #3
    Senior Member JerrySTL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Near St. Louis, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy Advanced, Windsor Tourist
    Posts
    719
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my wife starts on me like that, I just say "you married me".

    Make sure to set up that tent in advance. I found out a the hard way that an old tent might not keep out the water if it rains. All that dust was actually the flooring material turning to powder.

  4. #4
    bkj
    bkj is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was on that Door County Ride! It was awesome. I only did 70 because I was too tired after a week of touring. But go do it! If you're going to camp, then yay for you, you might get to buy some new gear. Go for it and have fun.

  5. #5
    Travelling hopefully chasm54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Uncertain
    Posts
    6,899
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're obviously enthusiastic. Good for you. But remember that if you want to ride a long way you can, whether or not there is an organised century ride in the vicinity. You can just get on the bike and ride, for 80, 100, 120 miles, whatever.

    And if you're like me you'll find you enjoy just getting out there on your own.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

  6. #6
    Beicwyr Hapus Gerryattrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Mallorca for 10 days
    My Bikes
    2 rideable, 5. in pieces
    Posts
    635
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only ever been on one organised ride and tbh I didn't enjoy it as much as my solo rides or rides with just one or two friends.

    I like to just get on the bike and go without all the admin and hanging around at the start.

    There is, of course, the element of safety/food etc. from the support on an organised ride but, certainly here in Wales, that's over-rated as you're never more than 10 miles from a pub or cafe. In some of the more open areas of the US that these rides may take place in it's probably more important, and it looks as if these century and longer rides are very popular over there

    I did find that I pushed myself more on the organised ride, as there was always someone in front of me I could target to catch up with. That can be a good or a bad thing depending on your aims for the ride.

    Whichever options the op decides on in the future it's obvious he's hooked, so good luck to you, bruised, and just enjoy it. Oh, and watch out for the onset of N+1 disease, it's dangerous.

    P.S. My wife also worries over my cycling and is always telling me to act my age, and not my shoe size.
    Last edited by Gerryattrick; 09-17-14 at 03:21 AM.

  7. #7
    Travelling hopefully chasm54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Uncertain
    Posts
    6,899
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post
    I've only ever been on one organised ride and tbh I didn't enjoy it as much as my solo rides or rides with just one or two friends.

    I like to just get on the bike and go without all the admin and hanging around at the start.

    There is, of course, the element of safety/food etc. from the support on an organised ride but, certainly here in Wales, that's over-rated as you're never more than 10 miles from a pub or cafe. In some of the more open areas of the US that these rides may take place in it's probably more important, and it looks as if these century and longer rides are very popular over there

    I did find that I pushed myself more on the organised ride, as there was always someone in front of me I could target to catch up with. That can be a good or a bad thing depending on your aims for the ride.
    I've done a few. After the first one, though, they were largely competitive - that is, although they weren't races most of the more serious roadies were out there to get the fastest possible time. And, of course, some of them are designed to be as brutal as possible - the Fred Whitton, the Etape du Dales, the Dragon Ride in your neck of the woods, all that. I decided that if I were going to race, I would enter actual races, and that for the long days in the hills I preferred soloing and making it up as I went along. But touring has always been in my cycling DNA, being out for hours (and days, and weeks) at a time on one's own isn't to everyone's taste.

    OP, I apologise for the thread hijack. One undoubted adavnatage of the organised centuries is the support, which is reassuring to many. Plus it does offer the opportunity to ride in unfamiliar places without worrying about route-planning, because that work has been done by others. Enjoy it.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    SE Wisco
    My Bikes
    2014 Trek Domane 5.2
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode the Door County Century a couple of weeks ago with Team Maywood (great people). They told me that the additional 12 miles are the 12 most difficult miles on the route, just a heads up.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @JerrySTL and @bkj - thanks for the feedback and the camping suggestions. I plan on pulling the tent out of storage today and seeing what's needed.
    Apparently there are no camp facilities at the site - in fact it isn't a site per se, they're just opening up a field for the one night. So I'll need a bit of gear to get through. No problem there.

    I'm really looking forward to it.

    @chasm54 and @ Gerryattrick - Thanks to you both, I take your points on board. I think in part it's just the novelty factor. I enjoyed last weekend a lot so I fancy another slice of that pie before it's gone for the season.

    It's also a learning exercise. Just looking around at the different bikes, the different people, the preparation, the approach etc. I think last weekend's experience has already benefited me in the way I'm prepping for this coming weekend (clothing, mostly).

    Then there's this by chasm54: "Plus it does offer the opportunity to ride in unfamiliar places without worrying about route-planning, because that work has been done by others". Which is appealing since I don't have to worry about the logistics and directions, I can just ride. Also, there's a few bucks going to a good cause and I get to visit an area I haven't seen before. It's all good.

    I do like to ride alone mostly and certainly don't need the pomp and ceremony of an organized event to keep me motivated, so it's mostly just novelty and learning, I think.

    Thanks again for the feedback! (and for this great website!)

    Bruised

  10. #10
    Senior Member Jim from Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,020
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruised View Post
    …Yup, I found another Century ride in Sheboygan for this coming weekend, and it even has a 112 Mile "Iron Raccoon" option

    I mentioned this in a tentative sort of way to my wife, and of course she saw right through my passive demeanor and said 'you're going to do it aren't you'.

    Then there was a brief discussion about medical insurance, attorney's fees, dementia and other subtly worded inferences which left me in no doubt that she thinks I'm losing it

    Quote Originally Posted by JerrySTL View Post
    When my wife starts on me like that, I just say "you married me". ...
    My wife’s usual retort when I plan riding outrageously, like in snowstorms is ”Oh, you just want to write about it on BikeForums."

    Quote Originally Posted by bruised View Post
    …What I haven't told her yet is that I'm thinking of driving down on Friday afternoon and camping overnight. I gotta build her up a bit before I spring that one on her. I haven't camped in 10 years…. Cheers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
    …I found the downside to staying at a motel before a ride is watching movies until 12:30 AM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member BobbyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    My Bikes
    1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International
    Posts
    280
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go, Go, GO!
    "When life hands you lumens, make lumen-aide!"

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    N.W.Ohio
    Posts
    796
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    biking and camping . love it. bike,tent, good bag,cooler,flashlight. oh i always forget a pillow. also i have a self inflatable pad to sleep on,works great. Have a great time and we will need a full report. Just look at Jim from Bostons past reports to get a idea of how its done.LOL

  13. #13
    Senior Member Jim from Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,020
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freedomrider1 View Post
    biking and camping . love it. bike,tent, good bag,cooler,flashlight. oh i always forget a pillow. also i have a self inflatable pad to sleep on,works great. Have a great time and we will need a full report. Just look at Jim from Bostons past reports to get a idea of how its done.LOL
    Hey freedomrider1, thanks for your comment. Fr1 and I met and rode together a bit on the Third Annual Fifty-Plus Forum Ride in Chelsea. MI in 2011 (see photo below).

    Quote Originally Posted by freedomrider1 View Post
    Jim,I thought you had everything you needed in that huge bag on the back of your bike.

    Quote Originally Posted by freedomrider1 View Post
    I said to Jim from Boston,"what do you have in that big bag Jim" he replied "everything for a better life"
    3rd annual.jpg

    This current thread is an epilogue to bruised’s recent well-written, first-time century ride report, "5 days to prep for a Century, ex- FAT guy needs your help, please!.”:

    Quote Originally Posted by bruised View Post
    Hi folks!

    Firstly, thanks for all the advice and encouragement over the past couple weeks, it's truly appreciated…

    The good news - I rode 101 miles today…It was an amazing experience and I'm thrilled to have been able to do it. I'm also quite tired!

    Here's a couple pics…To summarize the day…

    I don't know about future rides - Centuries or longer distances, at this point. I'm going to sleep on it and see how I feel about things when the high has subdued a little. And boy what I high, it feels good.

    Sorry for the long post!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
    I was intermittently following this thread, and enjoyed reading of your experience…

    Finally, no apologies needed for your (not too) long post. I like to write up my rides, as do others on a local discussion thread here in Boston, and for me, it’s more a journal for myself, than for the amusement of other subscribers, though I hope others would find it interesting...

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeD1 View Post
    Way to go Bruised! I really enjoyed your write up.…
    Quote Originally Posted by bruised View Post
    I had such a blast riding my first Century last weekend in beautiful Door County WI, that I set about researching rides for early Spring 2015.

    Then guess what. I discovered the riding season hasn't ended here in WI yet.

    Yup, I found another Century ride in Sheboygan for this coming weekend, and it even has a 112 Mile "Iron Raccoon" option

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    2013 Trek Domane 6.9+, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro
    Posts
    162
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone who grew up in LaCrosse, did my undergrad in Madison, and started my career in Milwaukee, I can only think of a few good reasons to go to Sheboygan: 1. You're dating a girl from there; 2. You're taking the scenic route up to a Packers' game and have a hankering for sausage; 3. You have a tee time at Whistling Straights; 4. The bike bug has bitten you, and the only cure is a fall century ride along the lake. Unfortunately, I've only experienced the first three. I envy you number 4 and wish you the best of luck!

    BTW: come Spring, we're going to collectively lobby to get you on a proper road bike.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    125
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tigat View Post
    As someone who grew up in LaCrosse, did my undergrad in Madison, and started my career in Milwaukee, I can only think of a few good reasons to go to Sheboygan: 1. You're dating a girl from there; 2. You're taking the scenic route up to a Packers' game and have a hankering for sausage; 3. You have a tee time at Whistling Straights; 4. The bike bug has bitten you, and the only cure is a fall century ride along the lake. Unfortunately, I've only experienced the first three. I envy you number 4 and wish you the best of luck! BTW: come Spring, we're going to collectively lobby to get you on a proper road bike.
    You missed a reason


  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    N.W.Ohio
    Posts
    796
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great picture.Berta.

  17. #17
    Senior Member curbtender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SF Bay Area, East bay
    My Bikes
    Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina
    Posts
    2,929
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I came in to see the dumb part. For me it would be asking my wife to sleep on the ground in a two man tent... Good job bruised!
    “At 50, everyone has the face he deserves.”
    ― George Orwell

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tigat View Post
    As someone who grew up in LaCrosse, did my undergrad in Madison, and started my career in Milwaukee, I can only think of a few good reasons to go to Sheboygan: 1. You're dating a girl from there; 2. You're taking the scenic route up to a Packers' game and have a hankering for sausage; 3. You have a tee time at Whistling Straights; 4. The bike bug has bitten you, and the only cure is a fall century ride along the lake. Unfortunately, I've only experienced the first three. I envy you number 4 and wish you the best of luck!

    BTW: come Spring, we're going to collectively lobby to get you on a proper road bike.
    Ha Ha...The mountain bike suits the 'old hippy' theme I have going on . When I snap out of that I may consider a decent set of wheels....

    I'd add a #5 to your list - Sheboygan is something of a 'foodie' town, believe it or not. We live in Door County, which is a big tourist area full of restaurants, but we can't get a decent meal up here to save our lives. So a couple times we've actually spent the night downtown Sheboygan to enjoy dining at Linos, Stefanis and the English pub on the river.
    My wife lived in Sheboygan for a couple years before we met, but I've never explored the area or seen anything of the Kettle Moraine State Forest.

    I get the tent out of storage later today to make a final feasibility assessment, then it's time to pack!


  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curbtender View Post
    I came in to see the dumb part. For me it would be asking my wife to sleep on the ground in a two man tent... Good job bruised!
    I know better than to ask

    This is a solo expedition.

    The last time I dragged my wife away (kicking and screaming) to camp, we went up to Escanaba in MI and experienced all 4 seasons in 2 days. Saying: "Honey, the snow will melt soon".....then "I told you so", were two of the biggest mistakes I've made in 16 yrs of marriage.

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go for it. And be sure to setup that tent and a good sleeping pad. All the best.

  21. #21
    Senior Member BR46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sheboygan Falls WI.
    My Bikes
    Trek , Fisher
    Posts
    233
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just found out that I don't have to work this weekend. So my wife and I will be riding the 50 or the 70 mile Maywood ride. The ride is well organized and fully supported by sag vehicles with food and drink at the rest stops.
    mms_picture.jpg

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamescaxton View Post
    Go for it. And be sure to setup that tent and a good sleeping pad. All the best.
    Thanks James,

    I did a dry run last night. Still haven't found my surge protector.




  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    N.W.Ohio
    Posts
    796
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How was the tent after all those years in storage?

  24. #24
    Senior Member Cycle Babble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    1996 Trek 820 Mountain Bike, 2010 Gary Fisher Tarpon, 2013 Trek Domane 4.5C
    Posts
    167
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bruised,
    Let me know how it goes. I would ride it with you but my son and I already have a ride planned around the Horicon Marsh on Sunday (Yeah, I know it is a Packers game day).
    The Declaration of Independence grants me the right to the pursuit of happiness.......I choose that pursuit on my bike.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •