Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys: Would you use a women's saddle?

Okay, maybe an odd question for some, but I've been looking around at different saddles for my road bike and came across Steve Hogg's review of the Selle SMP saddles and became interested in those. There does not seem to be a local dealer for them so I've had to go mail order to try some out, and I've tried several, and am really liking them.

I found a real good deal on one, but it was only available in a women's model. Steve Hogg's review states there is no difference at all between the men's and women's models, except for the cosmetic stitching. So I ordered it and it may be my favorite of the group so far. But the stitching is magenta and it says "Lady" on the saddle nose.

Would any of you feel a little self-conscious using such a saddle? I realize that as long as I'm riding no one can tell the difference, but if I ever park it somewhere in public is a bit obvious. I saved nearly $100.00 on this particular one as close out, so if I want a man's version I would probably have to pay a premium.

Not sure what to do.

Thanks.

My Bikes
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6c
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It you're comfortable on it... who cares?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you fast? I know anyone who rides a pink bike is fast...fast enough to crush souls.
    Perhaps the same is true with your new women's specific saddle.

My Bikes
    Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Tricross Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likewise, if it fits who cares. My saddle is from an originally womens mfg, but it's a man's model (Terry Men's Liberator Y Bike Saddle | Terry Bicycles). Then again, if it were pink lace and smelled good....

Maybe you could change "Lady" to read "Lady Killer" or something.
    Len Philpot - 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport
    I start out slow and then taper off from there...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I'm just a bit self-conscious, and no, I'm no longer fast. I could do fairly well 20 and 30 years ago, but now I'm a little past 60 and realized recently that I sure can't ride like I used to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I thought of was our dog's name just happens to be "Lady." If anyone asked I could just say it was our dog's name. Of course, they might wonder why I had the dog's name on the saddle and not my wife's name.

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a distinct difference between men and women's saddles... the nose of a women's saddle is shorter than the men's version and the body is usually alittle wider (as women's butts are alittle wider than men's).... if that doesn't bother you than who cares. You can buy saddle covers (but I find them annoying) or have the saddle recovered (but that costs money). It will eventually wear out and just keep your eye out for something more low key... for instance Terry makes a "male" version of its Butterfly saddle - called the Fly, Liberator or Falcon. But the Butterfly is fairly low key, not so girly (unless you buy the pink version!)

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, there is generally a difference between a men's and women's version of most saddles. But if you read Steve Hogg's review, and he is quite knowledgeable, the SMP men's and women's saddles are identical in size and fit. The only differences is the color of the stitching and the word "Lady" that appears on the women's model.

etw
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use a sharpie to color it in

My Bikes
    Raleigh Detour
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etw View Post
    That's exactly what I was going to suggest
    -although I just looked up these saddles online, I see some come in white. so maybe... whiteout
    Last edited by notabikerchick; 09-16-14 at 05:53 PM.

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Butt happy = body happy. Not an issue.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come to think of it, I have a women's saddle on my commuting bike. A Terry Liberator, I think.

Oh, the shame.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've ridden several hundreds of thousands of miles on women's saddles. If the saddle fits, who cares what it says or who the manufacturers thought it would fit. On my wife and my first tandem, she used an old Avocet Touring 2 and I used the Avocet Women's Touring 2. Both fit us well.

As has been noted, many saddles for women are slightly wider than the ones for men. Considering that the width of the sit bones is dependent on one's posture (the more upright you ride, the wider the bones are at the point of contact), the relative width of male and female rear ends is really not the reason behind the varied widths. Rather, the marketers have likely observed that more females sport upright positions than males, thus they tend to prefer wider saddles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by notabikerchick View Post
    That's exactly what I was going to suggest
    -although I just looked up these saddles online, I see some come in white. so maybe... whiteout
    I wouldn't worry about the gender specificity of the saddle if I liked the comfort, but I wouldn't buy a white saddle of any sort. I might have a bit of trouble with the lettering, but I think coloring it in would take care of that.

My Bikes
    Raleigh Detour
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
    Butt happy = body happy. Not an issue.
    Actually this is a really good point. How many women would be concerned about using a "men's" saddle on their bike? But for some reason, if a man uses one that was designed for women, that's an issue? Just be glad you found one that works for you.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You saved a hundred bucks. That's significant on a single part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks folks. The saddle I got is black and I thought about using some black shoe polish on the stitching to tone it down a bit, but maybe I'll just leave it as it is.

One thing I wonder about is if the comments would be any different on the Road Bike forum since those people tend to be a little younger. Sometimes as one gets more mature things that used to matter are no longer important.

Thanks again.

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etw View Post
    Or even testors paint.
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it works for you and lets you ride painlessly it is a good thing, regardless of the marketing labels. I used on of the ladies' specific anatomic Avocet saddles, in the early 80's when they first came to market, here. It worked really well, buying two of them, one for Monica and one for me, cut the cost a little with the discount we got. The price was horrendous back then 35.00 each, (almost as much as the Team Pro Brooks I was used to, they were 50.00 and the LBS, then.)

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Trekalized 7.Sequoia Elite+
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a women's saddle. It is the most comfortable seat I've found. 50 mile days are no problem seat comfort wise. Thank God it's black, though it does have a flower printed on the underside plastic. I don't care, go ahead and make fun of me, but my butt is comfortable and I'll still stab you with a tire lever if i have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Concerned about riding a "girls" saddle?

I seem to remember a Johnny Cash song with the words, "My name is Sue..How do you do!!!!!!!!!!

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have ridden with the Terry saddles for the past 6 or 7 years. I like the Liberator Race the best. I have ridden at least 6 double centuries with it.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestKid View Post
    snip...I thought about using some black shoe polish on the stitching to tone it down a bit, but maybe I'll just leave it as it is....snipThanks again.
    One thing, the shoe polish can rub off when it gets warmed up from your body heat or even the sunshine, the Sharpie is a better choice, no discoloration from them when I had used them as you are thinking. The polish may soak into the stitching but when it is on the cover it might rub off on your shorts, if they aren't black you have messed up some nice shorts. The Sharpies are great for touching up scratches on bars, stems, cranks, etc., (the matte black items) so they don't look so road worn early on. Yes both of these show that is my CDO coming out (I got the letters in the right order, too!)

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Use the saddle. Enjoy it. Anyone who gives you grief is itching for a fight. Go Cinzano on them.

My Bikes
    Kona Jake the Snake, Specialized AWOL Comp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would use one without hesitation. I was going to try that route out during a long, painful journey to find a saddle for my touring bike but eventually tried a B17 and it worked for me. But most men's saddles are too narrow for my sitbones - the B17 is wide enough, but had I not happened upon it I would probably be riding with a ladies saddle of some sort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast